Menu

If you have a VIKA table from IKEA will you pop in here?

I'm looking to do our school room with a VIKA table top. I'm debating on putting the storage underneath or the legs. My dc love the pics on confessionsofhomeschooler's blog. They would love to use the drawers from their workboxes. I agree that it would be handy to have their workboxes right in the workspace. My concern is the leg room. If you have storage under the VIKA is there enough legroom to work comfortablely?

I have 2 VIKA tabletops.....one of the 48" tables with 4 legs (no storage) that we use for a computer desk and one of the 72" (I think it's that long anyway) tables with 2 legs on one side and one set of drawers on the other. Our 72" table has plenty of room for 2 people to sit and work (me and kiddo.) I love the drawers, we use them for many, many things.

I am thinking about buying another identical set and setting them up back to back with one end against the wall (right now the one table is flush against the wall.) That way my 2 HSers can work opposite one another instead of elbowing each other during school.

I love IKEA.

I'm trying to create a table that I can get 3 growing kids and me to work comfortablely. I want to put two table tops together to make one large table. Ideally, 4 set of drawers would be perfect!

We are driving 3 1/2 hours to IKEA on Saturday with kids in tow. They loathe IKEA. Dh and I love it!!!

I'm looking to do our school room with a VIKA table top. I'm debating on putting the storage underneath or the legs. My dc love the pics on confessionsofhomeschooler's blog. They would love to use the drawers from their workboxes. I agree that it would be handy to have their workboxes right in the workspace. My concern is the leg room. If you have storage under the VIKA is there enough legroom to work comfortablely?

I was looking at that picture, too and loved it, but the legroom thing bothered us, too!

I have lots of VIKA tables though not using them all right now. The 59 inch one is 29" deep, while the really long one 78" long, is 24 deep. If you had room to kind of "wrap" the desks around a corner, you could do like an L shape with any sizes except the 59" since that is deeper. Well, I guess you still could. the 78" one requires one leg in the middle (but it's on the back so not in the legs way). You could put drawer unit on each side. There is also a 48". You can also separate the really long one in the middle with a drawer unit. Pretty easy to mix and match. Oh, and those VIKA drawer units look nice on their own too, not just under the table. I have one next to my desk with a printer on top. They are very sturdy

Did you come up with a solution? I'd love to know what your doing. I love getting new ideas.

No, we have not come up with any solution. DH and I have been up hours each night trying to figure out what in the world to do. We have 4 kids we're schooling, we'll be getting another computer (but both computers will be family computers, though the boys will do their math and Latin on them, and we don't want them to get proprietary towards them so we don't want the computers at the boys' workstations) so we're looking at how to make 6 workstations in a room that's about 14'X6'. Plus storage. And we're starting school in 2 weeks.

I have lots of VIKA tables though not using them all right now. The 59 inch one is 29" deep, while the really long one 78" long, is 24 deep. If you had room to kind of "wrap" the desks around a corner, you could do like an L shape with any sizes except the 59" since that is deeper. Well, I guess you still could. the 78" one requires one leg in the middle (but it's on the back so not in the legs way). You could put drawer unit on each side. There is also a 48". You can also separate the really long one in the middle with a drawer unit. Pretty easy to mix and match. Oh, and those VIKA drawer units look nice on their own too, not just under the table. I have one next to my desk with a printer on top. They are very sturdy

I do have corner I could utilze, but I was aiming to have one big table. I'm not sure at this point it is going to work. I'm rethinking with your suggetion in mind. I may have to change my layout for my school space.

No, we have not come up with any solution. DH and I have been up hours each night trying to figure out what in the world to do. We have 4 kids we're schooling, we'll be getting another computer (but both computers will be family computers, though the boys will do their math and Latin on them, and we don't want them to get proprietary towards them so we don't want the computers at the boys' workstations) so we're looking at how to make 6 workstations in a room that's about 14'X6'. Plus storage. And we're starting school in 2 weeks.

Good luck figuring it out! I'm not sure when we are starting, but dh said we are going Saturday to get our IKEA fix, so I need to have this worked out by then.:eek:

I apologize for hijacking, but does anyone have an extra Vika tray that attaches to the leg and swivels? Ikea discontinued these a couple of years ago. Before they were discontinued, they called the tray a "leg drawer," though certainly anyone who is not Swedish would call it a swiveling tray. I have trays/leg drawers for the two Vika tables I have, but I am terrified that they will break and am willing to pay enough to make it worth your while to ship an extra to me.

I know it is a long shot, but I have to ask.

Terri

Good luck figuring it out! I'm not sure when we are starting, but dh said we are going Saturday to get our IKEA fix, so I need to have this worked out by then.:eek:

We're having to hustle, too. However, I'm using graph paper and made scale "models" of the tables and the expedit shelving unit I want and I think I may have it figured out.

I do have corner I could utilze, but I was aiming to have one big table. I'm not sure at this point it is going to work. I'm rethinking with your suggetion in mind. I may have to change my layout for my school space.

So you have room for two 59" tables pushed together to use in a middle desk situation? Or even 78" versions (the 78" not as deep, giving you more length but less depth...maybe fit better depending on your size). Let me see if i can explain this as I don't have a picture. You could push two 78" tables together, and two of you face one way, two the other, so you all face each other when seated. Then, each person has the drawer unit on their end so you can pull it out for yourself. If you used the 78" table, you could probably do the drawer unit as a leg on each end, or just do all white skinny normal legs and put the drawer units on each end free standing. They are very stable. If you have only room for the 59" units maybe put the drawers free standing on the sides for sure. DOes that even make sense? Hopefully so. Anyways the legs are cheap. 3.50 for the regular white rounded ones here. The 78" tables are $45 for the white, and the drawer units are $79.99. I go to IKEA alot LOL

So you have room for two 59" tables pushed together to use in a middle desk situation? Or even 78" versions (the 78" not as deep, giving you more length but less depth...maybe fit better depending on your size). Let me see if i can explain this as I don't have a picture. You could push two 78" tables together, and two of you face one way, two the other, so you all face each other when seated. Then, each person has the drawer unit on their end so you can pull it out for yourself. If you used the 78" table, you could probably do the drawer unit as a leg on each end, or just do all white skinny normal legs and put the drawer units on each end free standing. They are very stable. If you have only room for the 59" units maybe put the drawers free standing on the sides for sure. DOes that even make sense? Hopefully so. Anyways the legs are cheap. 3.50 for the regular white rounded ones here. The 78" tables are $45 for the white, and the drawer units are $79.99. I go to IKEA alot LOL

I totally get what you are saying!!:001_smile:

I actually have room to do both. We are utilizing our basement, so I have a blank slate to work with. I spent some time measuring this afternoon with both of those options. Dh and I are going to do some looking online tonight while ds and dd are in gymnastics.

I'm saving this thread to respond later. My schoolroom is in a shambles as we are painting. I use these tables. We have two long ones and a few shorter ones. I'll post pics when we get everything situated. I may also have an extra tray or two. I just don't know where they would be right now to verify that. I'll post again in a few days.

UPDATE:

I emailed Erika at confessionsofahomeschooler and asked about the leg room. She emailed me back last night! She told me they have moved the drawers to the ends of the table tops to create more leg room. They had to add a board for stability underneath.

I mapped the dimensions on the floor with masking tape, so we could see the exact size. I think it will work. I even have room for another bookshelf!!!;) So, I think we are back to our original plan of copying that table in our schoolroom.

So excited to finally get this school room underway. Now, if only I could decide on paint colors.:tongue_smilie:

Here's my model of what it's going to look like. The whole left side of the picture is wall, there are windows along the top edge behind the couch. There is 6' of wall along the right side, till you get to that little red mark, then it's open and the bottom side is all open to the rest of the house. We have an open floor plan for our living area. We really should get rid of the couch, but there is literally no other place in the house to put it and it's a great couch. It's comfortable and great for napping. So, we're keeping it. Along the walls will be 2 computer stations with the Expedit shelving unit in the middle. We decided to get 2 of the 47" table tops instead of the 59, which should give us a little more room. Also, under the 39" table tops each will have a storage unit for a leg. I went for the individual tables to give me more flexibility in case I want to change things around. There are still a few bugs to be worked out, but the graph paper thing really helped a lot to visualize the whole thing. DH will be going in 2 weeks to get it all. I want to start school in 2 weeks, so I guess we'll start without the new stuff, but DH can't go any sooner (it's a 3 1/2 hour drive each way) and the kids are getting bored, so we really need to start.

Edited by KrissiK