Menu

In home daycare...

I watched 3 kids and I fed them I charged 20 a day. I was a single working mom who finally had to quit because of daycare costs so I tend to remember that when expecting other people to shell out their income.

When I was a lisensed home daycare (insurance etc) I charged 15 a day per child which included food.

I have different rates for part time, fulltime and casual. For drop in care I charge $40/day per kid. For the child that comes here 3 days a week, I charge $300. The fulltime kid is charged $500. THe 2 little ones joining me next week will be paying $200 for the week for both.

In my area I am considered expensive. If I lived in the city I could be charging $700-800 a month no problem.

I am a private dayhome (legal in my prov) and that cost includes food, teaching materials etc. The only thing I will be charging extra for in the fall is $30 extra from each of my pt/ft kids once to help towards the cost of the music teacher that is going to be coming in once a week. So for $30 their kid will get 10 weeks of music lessons. I am hiring her so dd can have the lessons but she does group lessons so they will all do it but I am charging them only a little bit. $10 of that $30 cover the book they keep, the other $20 will go towards her fees.

Where I live, it is $30 - $40 /day, or $100-$200 week (sometimes more for little babies)

Editing to add - actually, I've never heard of more than $150/week for in-home daycare, the bigger numbers are for daycare centers.

When my mother watched my first over 10 years ago I paid her $150 a week and that was a relative bargain. That was in CT.

I think costs vary enormously by region. The cost of living around here isn't too bad - we're in the lower Adirondacks. I only stopped using daycare in December and I was paying $30 for a full day.

I live in Nebraska and I charge $180/wk for a full time infant. I am a bit higher then most home providers here but none of the full time parents that have used me have ever batted an eye at it. I tout myself as more of a nanny fo their child since my #'s are LOW (I only watch 1-2 babies at a time and my older girls help a LOT so their baby is gettings LOTS of one-on-one care)

Just a heads up I am sure you have thought of. There will be times where you will think the amount of work necessary is SOOOO not worth the small amount you get paid. Take my day yesterday that I posted. Normally the kids I watch fit right into our schedule and we have a fine time. Yesterday all 3 of the kids 4 and under were down right miserable, and disobedient. Parents dropped off early, 1 got picked up so late I could not clean up before my interview with another family. It was a very rough day and I tell you with days like that you feel like there isn't enough $ in the world to make you keep watching other people's kids.

Generally if you are well organized etc it is fine. With the way my fees are it works out to $25/day. Anything less than that I could not imagine doing. There is just so much work to be done. These are not 8 hour days, I have kids here from 730am until 6 pm, while still trying to school mine, keep up with the house, fulfill community commitments etc. The kids I have generally are great. The families love that we homeschool, love that I volunteer in things etc. But there will be guaranteed to be bad days along the way. For most people working 11 hours a day for $16-20 especially on those bad days is simply not worth it.

When I quit doing home daycare 3 years ago, I was charging $50 per day. I had a 9 hour limit. If they came 5 days a week, I gave them a discount so they paid $200 per week. I fed them the same things our family ate-wholesome, organic, ect. I did preschool activities just like I did with my dd's. I wouldn't do it for less, it's HARD work. Plus I think that the parents appreciated me more, kwim?