Menu

What is your favorite water bottle and why?

I need to purchase a container for water and other beverages because I decided to stop buying individual bottles and start just using my home faucet. I will use it mostly for water but want to put other things in it as well. What do you recommend?

We are phasing out plastic, so we use stainless steel water containers. We have Kleen Kanteen and like them fairly well. Easy cleanup, the bottle can be tossed in the dishwasher. The lip is awkward though, and water tends to spill when drinking.

The other set we have is from Costco. They come in a two pack for around $20. They have a straw, which is nice. Must be handwashed though. The kids prefer these over the Kleen Kanteen.

One more suggestion. I also have a Tervis Tumbler. LOVE it! It is plastic, but I don't mind that for myself. I think they are a little pricey but definitely my favorite container to drink out of.

Is the Tervis good for water? I have a coupon for Bed Bath and Beyond and could get one there. Just wasn't sure since it's clear plastic if it would be good for water.

I love the Rubbermaid Chug bottle which I bought at the grocery store. I take water in the car and the finger loop makes it so handy to carry, especially when your hands are full. It also fits perfect in my water carrier on my bike.

http://www.rubbermaid.com/Category/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?CatName=Beverage&SubcatId=RefillReuseBottles&Prod_ID=RP091889

I also have a metal water bottle but I can't see how much water in left so I don't drink as much during the day. Also I know this sounds weird, but when I work out I like to slightly squeeze the plastic to make it woosh when I drink. The metal bottles and hard plastic bottles were driving me nuts because they don't woosh. LOL!

Edited by Ferdie

The Klean Kanteen Insulated (and wide-mouthed) water bottles have spoiled me, especially now that I live in the desert. I don't know what voodoo insulation they have going with these things, but these bottles keep ice solid and drinks cold longer than I ever would have thought possible. It can stay in the car all day and still be cold at night. I love picking up the bottle in the middle of the night to drink still ice cold water instead of the tepid stuff I used to put up with. :tongue_smilie:

Am I the only one who is still "scared" of plastic water bottles of any kind? I often wonder what all the companies replaced BPA with. :confused: I mean, BPA had a function in plastic. It had a desirable feature for the manufacture of plastic containers. That's why it was in all that plastic. So, the companies had to change formulas when they ditched BPA. The question in my mind is what did they switch to and is it really any better for us, or is it just a new unknown evil that is still going to make us sick and have us outraged again a few years down the road?

I use a Kleen Kanteen stainless bottle myself, and I love it. I don't have the insulated one, but I also don't generally like my drinks ice cold. I only put water in mine (and DD only puts water in her KK -- hot pink for the tween!), but DH has a big (40 ounce, I think; DD and I have the 27-ounce ones) KK in black that he uses for iced tea, and he seems to be happy with it.

I have the stainless screw-on lid, and I like it, but it's squeaky sometimes when I open it. I don't have the wide-mouth bottle, but even the regular one can be a little messy for drinking while moving. Therefore, I got DD the sports bottle cap for hers, and she seems to like it.

My KK is four years old and has been used heavily and dropped several times. It has a couple of tiny dents but is still in excellent shape. (DH's and DD's have a few nicks in the color, especially around the bottom, but otherwise, they're fine.) I would absolutely recommend Kleen Kanteens!

Am I the only one who is still "scared" of plastic water bottles of any kind? I often wonder what all the companies replaced BPA with. :confused: I mean, BPA had a function in plastic. It had a desirable feature for the manufacture of plastic containers. That's why it was in all that plastic. So, the companies had to change formulas when they ditched BPA. The question in my mind is what did they switch to and is it really any better for us, or is it just a new unknown evil that is still going to make us sick and have us outraged again a few years down the road?

I am in the same camp. Plastic makes me nervous and I avoid it when it is reasonable to do so.

Water bottles are one way. I have the enviro bottle.

http://www.newwaveenviro.com/1-liter-seriously-safe-stainless-steel-water-bottle-p-164.html

I have had my set of 6 for 5 years now. They have been dropped dinged etc... I am just getting to the point where I think I need to order new tops for them. The bottle is just fine.

We have some kleen Kanteens, they are nice too, but with my other bottle doing well, there is just no need to replace them.

For traveling though I like my bobble

http://www.waterbobble.com/

I have it empty going through security and then fill at a water fountain. It is light, and it has a built in filter if you are not sure what the water will be like where you are at.

The kids all have Sigg bottles and they are so beaten up but they are still going strong, they're 5+ years old.

I found an Aladdin brand clear water bottle from Target that I love...24oz, dishwasher safe, tall & slender, clear, and the shape of the mouth fits my lips perfectly. I don't know how they did it but I get perfect suction & no dribbles down my chin. It was around $10. I'd like to get an insulated one, but dishwasher safe is probably my top priority in water bottles, I hate handwashing ANYTHING.

I actually like those hard plastic cups with the lids and straws. For some reason, I drink more water with those than a regular cup. Plus, if it tips over, there is only a little mess to clean up. LOL

I buy these at Family Dollar for $5 and I love them.

Each member of our family has a Kleen Kanteen. We each have a different color, which makes it easy to grab the right one. We went through a lot of water bottles before these, but these have lasted MUCH longer.

:iagree:http://www.kleankanteen.com/products/classic/klean-kanteen-27oz-classic.php

with sport cap.. and we don't notice any difference in taste..

The kids all have Sigg bottles and they are so beaten up but they are still going strong, they're 5+ years old.

This is why I don't use SIGG

http://www.mysigg.com/aboutus/health.do

They still have a coating inside. I like good old stainless steel.

I get my milk in glass jars, my "tuperware" is pryex. I just try and reduce extra man made concoctions wherever possible.

Maybe I'm sensitive? I've tried several brands of the stainless and all I can taste is metal.

Same here. I had high hopes for my Sigg but it made water taste awful. Everyone says I'm imagining it but I'm not. I have other useless superpowers, like being able to hear a light bulb filament vibrate before the bulb blows- so I assumes my super sensitivity to aluminum or stainless water bottles is just one of my useless superpowers.

My sister uses a Klean Kanteen and besides being bugged by the awful spelling, hers has a top that sounds like a chipmunk when she drinks. Annoying.

So I stick with my beloved Tervis. Yup, it's plastic. But it is what it is.

The other set we have is from Costco. They come in a two pack for around $20. They have a straw, which is nice. Must be handwashed though. The kids prefer these over the Kleen Kanteen.

:iagree: Mine are Contigo. We got the 2 pack at Costco and love them.

Hijacking a bit =) I am looking for a INSULATED water bottle (so it doesnt 'sweat' and will keep water cold), BUT I want one that has a straw, not a tip up mouth...anyone know of one? I cant find one anywhere!!

Amazon has a Thermos Intak that's stainless with a straw: http://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Intak-Steel-Water-Bottle/dp/B002VK2EHY/ref=pd_sim_k_6

I like my Kleen Kanteen. It is all stainless with no lining or resin to break down.

These days I am grooving on my cuppow. I have all these canning jars and this has made them even more useful!

http://cuppow.com/

This is EXACTLY what I have been waiting for! I love drinking out of mason jars but I hate spilling. Thank you!!

Hijacking a bit =) I am looking for a INSULATED water bottle (so it doesnt 'sweat' and will keep water cold), BUT I want one that has a straw, not a tip up mouth...anyone know of one? I cant find one anywhere!!

Tervis tumbler. Holds ice for hours, doesn't sweat, sturdy (manufacturer's lifetime guarantee), AND made right here in Florida. You can find them at any Bed, Bath & Beyond in a variety of patterns. We have them for every member of the family--we fill them up with ice water and take them everywhere.

Maybe I'm sensitive? I've tried several brands of the stainless and all I can taste is metal.

I'm the same.

We use the non-insulated Camelbaks because they fit our cup-holders. But, my mom uses an insulated one and it works great. We love them because it has the straw, but they don't leak. You bite the straw while drinking to make the liquid come out.