Menu

"Sent from my iPad"

Do you leave the "sent from my iPad" message on all your emails  

1. 1. Do you leave the "sent from my iPad" message on all your emails

• I include it in ALL my emails
    • I only include it in some of my emails, depending who I am sending to
    • I include it in all my emails but I edited it somehow- "sent from my super cool iPad" for example
    • I only include it in some emails but I have edited it somehow
    • I don't include it in any of my emails
    • I include it because it's cool and I kind of want people to know I have an iPad
    • I include it- I have so many typos I want people to know I used a tablet
    • I include it because I have no idea how to get rid of it
    • I have no idea what you are talking about
    • I don't have an iPad but needed to vote in a poll

Do you leave this message on all your outgoing emails? What is your reason for doing so? Is there a reason for leaving this tag on the end or is it more of a prestige that goes along with having spent several hundred dollars on a gizmo? :tongue_smilie:

Inquiring minds want to know. :D

ETA: I added a poll and allowed for multiple options.

Edited by plain jane

My guess is that most people leave it there for 1 of 3 reasons:

1) They want people to know that they're typing on the ipad, and therefore autocorrect is probably going to screw things up sometimes. If someone writes something strange, but I know they're on an iphone/ipad, it helps me to dismiss it as an autocorrect thing.

2) They just haven't thought to disable it. Or they keep forgetting to.

3) They don't know how to disable it. I know plenty of people with ipads who are super tech illiterate. I just had to help my neighbor turn off his music (as in it started playing and he couldn't figure out how to make it stop) on his new ipad.

I guess a 4th reason would be to brag, but I don't think that's the most common reason by a long shot.

My Kindle sticks on there automatically.

I'd LOVE to get rid of it - makes me feel like I'm being a woity-toit with it on there like I'm showing off or something. I'm lucky I figured out how to send e-mails on it so no idea how to remove it if it's possible. :001_smile:

Do you leave this message on all your outgoing emails? What is your reason for doing so? Is there a reason for leaving this tag on the end or is it more of a prestige that goes along with having spent several hundred dollars on a gizmo? :tongue_smilie:

Inquiring minds want to know. :D

ETA: I added a poll and allowed for multiple options.

I don't think you can eliminate it, can you? I never figured it out on my BlackBerry or my iPhone. Tell me how to delete it!

I can take it off of my e-mail by hitting backspace. I didn't know I could disable it permenently!

Most of the time I do take it off b/c I think it is a little silly, but when I am shooting off a quick reply to someone else I often forget about it. Now I need to see if I can figure out how to banish it permanently. Learning something new everyday here at the Hive!

ETA- most of the time I email a very small circle of people who know my iPad is the equivalent of my laptop and I do not think twice about it.

Edited by BLA5

So - spurred on by this post I did some googling :)

It is now removed from my Kindle using this handy tutorial

Which led me to this post about some reasons you shouldn't leave them on. He also tells how to remove it from some devices.

Thanks to this thread I am rid of it :001_smile:

It's added automatically, and I leave it out of laziness (on my iPad, iPod Touch, and iPhone - yes, we're an Apple-loving family). :tongue_smilie: Never occurred to me that people might construe it as "bragging".

I haven't looked into how to disable it, but you can delete it just like regular text from individual emails.

It's added automatically, and I leave it out of laziness (on my iPad, iPod Touch, and iPhone - yes, we're an Apple-loving family). :tongue_smilie: Never occurred to me that people might construe it as "bragging".

I haven't looked into how to disable it, but you can delete it just like regular text from individual emails.

:iagree: I leave it. I typically type very terse, short messages on my ipad and if I need to drone on and on I save it for my big computer. The auto correct is notorious on the iPad for over correction too. Never remotely thought of it as a way to brag. If it said "haha - I sent this from my iPad, don't you wish you had one?", I might feel differently. :D

I believe this is a tag automatically left when sending an email...

all our devices do this...

sent from Kindle fire

sent from iphone

ect...

not sure why?

that way people know autocorrect screwed up your message, and it wasn't a drunken drive by post/message

I'll admit that I just judged someone who responded to my craigslist ad with a sent from "ipad email" but couldn't meet my really low asking price and begged for delivery. My ad did say "price firm" and we do live in a city with public transit, so I told her I wouldn't negotiate.

Ok, I may offend people here, but I think those messages are annoying. I don't need to know what you typed it on, ipad, iphone, blackberry, who cares? It makes you look like you are overly wrapped up in whatever your chosen electronic device is. Like you need people to know that that's what you are using. Who cares if there are typos? People just assume those are little mistakes that you would have fixed had you noticed them.

I sometimes send email from my iPhone which is even smaller than the iPad, and so my tag line is "Sent from my itty-bitty iPhone so please forgive typos" or something like that.

ETA: Oh, and I edited the tag line specifically so people would know I left it on there on purpose.

Edited by Mama_Rana
more info

My Kindle Fire does this on emails and I haven't figured out how to edit it yet. I have only sent one email from my Kindle in the three months of owning it, so I probably won't try to edit it. I do use Tapatalk on other forums, and I removed the tagline.

I have always left it because I never thought it was a big deal. I have never thought twice about it when seeing it in incoming emails, so I guess I assumed others weren't bothered by it. (Guess I was wrong about that :-)

It's not something I chose to add to the emails from my phone, so I don't see it as a personal brag. It's a little piece of advertising that I really didn't pay any attention to, nor do I want to spend the time trying to disable it. Who cares???

I don't care much about "stuff" so it's surprising to me that this actually offends people.

I have an iPhone and it adds it to the bottom. To be honest, I've never really thought about it. It's there. I'm too lazy to change or delete it. So it goes out on my emails. :001_huh:

It's not something I chose to add to the emails from my phone, so I don't see it as a personal brag. It's a little piece of advertising that I really didn't pay any attention to, nor do I want to spend the time trying to disable it. Who cares???

I don't care much about "stuff" so it's surprising to me that this actually offends people.

Same here.

I think people get their knickers knotted over the silliest things.

I'll admit that I just judged someone who responded to my craigslist ad with a sent from "ipad email" but couldn't meet my really low asking price and begged for delivery. My ad did say "price firm" and we do live in a city with public transit, so I told her I wouldn't negotiate.

Rofl I have to admit I might do this too if I got an iPad email negotiating for a lower price on something! Maybe he/she should have replaced "sent from ipad" with "sent from skid row". :lol:

Wow. I never removed it because I was lazy and don't send that many emails from my devices. I'm a bit surprised by how many people hate it so much - braggy, or low-class, or snotty have all been mentioned. Seriously? I don't think it's meant as a personal insult, folks.

Wow. I never removed it because I was lazy and don't send that many emails from my devices. I'm a bit surprised by how many people hate it so much - braggy, or low-class, or snotty have all been mentioned. Seriously? I don't think it's meant as a personal insult, folks.

:iagree: I haven't removed it because I just didn't care about it, and I had no clue anyone else would care ~ especially as much as some apparently do.

I left it on my iPhone for several months because

1. I didn't know you could get rid of it, and

2. It doesn't seem like bragging to me.

I removed it when I read that many people see it as bragging, and I found out it isn't something you have to have. Really though, I can't imagine why it would bother anyone. I see it on a lot of emails, and even facebook posts, and I rarely think twice about it when I see it.

I don't include it in my emails but don't assume a person is bragging if they don't take it out of theirs. People sure get their panties wound up over petty things! Snotty and low-class? Please.

Incidentally, it's quick and easy to remove it if you want. Just go to Settings, Mail, Signature, then click Clear (or add a custom signature).

I don't use AutoCorrect either. I hate that feature!

Edited by WordGirl

I don't have an iPad, but I use a similar message for emails from my mobile. Predictive text can sometimes get one into trouble. :tongue_smilie:

ETA: But I don't mention the brand/model of the phone.

Edited by nmoira

Thanks for the link showing me how to permanently remove it. I didn't vote, since my answer was "I accidentally send it sometimes because I forget to remove it, but I try to because it seems like something my grandmother used to call 'tacky.'"

Edited by urpedonmommy