Menu

MFW ECC with a 1st grader

MommyK

I have the TM and science for MFW 1st, and am waiting on my ECC set for my 3rd and 6th graders. My question is this:

Has anyone bumped a 1st grader up for the group portion, and then pursued their own Math and LA for the younger? MFW of course recommends their own, but I'm not sure if it is truly necessary. Thoughts?

She's an average beginning reader who is very good with letter sounds, vowels long and short, and combinations (th, sh, ch, etc).

it's kinda common to do stuff like that. You use something for language arts and math (mfw's first grade, or anything you want to use), and then fun stuff from ECC for extra and fun.

you'd probably want to get the student sheets from ECC for first grader - so you have geography game, and flag sheets, and John 3:16 pages, and a few other things. The first grade will not do everything in those sheets, but enough of it to make it worth it for the year and price. Science in ECC for younger sib..... include on experiments and book basket time. focus on animals and habitats.. .don't worry on Prop of Eco book.

-crystal

it's kinda common to do stuff like that. You use something for language arts and math (mfw's first grade, or anything you want to use), and then fun stuff from ECC for extra and fun.

you'd probably want to get the student sheets from ECC for first grader - so you have geography game, and flag sheets, and John 3:16 pages, and a few other things. The first grade will not do everything in those sheets, but enough of it to make it worth it for the year and price. Science in ECC for younger sib..... include on experiments and book basket time. focus on animals and habitats.. .don't worry on Prop of Eco book.

-crystal

Is it worth it to even hold onto the MFW 1st grade program? I just wonder about the bible reader..

Is it worth it to even hold onto the MFW 1st grade program? I just wonder about the bible reader..

I'm not understanding the question exactly. lack of sleep on my part.....so I'm going to ramble and then get a mid morning power nap... and something for my hip pain.... too many hip lift triplets yesterday in exercise class. wowzers.....

if you don't have resources in mind to use for learning to read, learning composition, memory work, copywork, math, math literature, etc.... yes, it's worth it. Some people will use MFW 1st grade with first grader and then anything from ECC is just dessert for that student.

if you have resources in mind and have duplicate stuff that covers wide variety of language arts at this level (learning to encode, and decode (reading and spelling), composition, etc....) eh? don't know.

what is it that you wonder about the Bible reader? I'm needing that nap.. do you mean can it be used without the manual? depends a bit on teacher... if you have phonics... and you are familiar with how to do notebooking... you can use the reader all by itself.

-crystal

I'm not understanding the question exactly. lack of sleep on my part.....so I'm going to ramble and then get a mid morning power nap... and something for my hip pain.... too many hip lift triplets yesterday in exercise class. wowzers.....

if you don't have resources in mind to use for learning to read, learning composition, memory work, copywork, math, math literature, etc.... yes, it's worth it. Some people will use MFW 1st grade with first grader and then anything from ECC is just dessert for that student.

if you have resources in mind and have duplicate stuff that covers wide variety of language arts at this level (learning to encode, and decode (reading and spelling), composition, etc....) eh? don't know.

what is it that you wonder about the Bible reader? I'm needing that nap.. do you mean can it be used without the manual? depends a bit on teacher... if you have phonics... and you are familiar with how to do notebooking... you can use the reader all by itself.

-crystal

That was my question.. I have no other resources in mind. Well, except for Life of Fred. We're using that for math.

in that case, I'd go with MFW first grade for 3R's..... the hands on activities for math will be good to do even alongside LoF.

don't worry if you don't do everything in MFW 1st to the fullest possible with all Bible activities and all of that.... you could mix and match on the memory verses from either ECC or 1st, or a little of both depending on the first grader.

I found that MFW's first grade program worked easily to do plenty from with younger sibling and still invite for fun stuff in older program. Then, if it was a day where younger sib didn't want to join big sis.. it was ok.

in my case... middle gal was in 1st while oldest was in RTR. youngest was in Kindy while other girls were in ECC (when we did ecc second time)

it was just easy on me to have things in one manual.. for first grade, I made a checklist

Bible

reading

math

fun

read to my child.

extras.

and used mfw to get it done. oh... and some days our phonics was spelling b/c my children seemed to be ahead of learning to read...

hope that gives some ideas... their first grade program can be done in 1.5-2 hours a day with oldest child and you have lots of time... or in about 1 hour with younger who sits in with older. still get a lot done.

-crystal