Menu

3rd grade reading list

My3Munchkins

I want to put together a reading list for my 3rd grader. We'll do activities with some of the books, while other books we'll just discuss briefly. I know there are some great list out there but many of them are long. What are your favorites for independent reading for this age/grade?

ETA: He's a strong reader so I'm looking for books on a 3rd or 4th grade reading level. He still reads Magic Treehouse books (along with many other books) but they're definitely easy reads for him and provide little challenge. Part of the reason I want a reading list for him is to steer him towards books closer to his reading level. I would like a variety of levels though.

Edited by My3Munchkins

It depends on reading ability and interest here. E.B. White is generally recommended for this age group, but if the child's reading level is at a point where Magic Treehouse is a stretch, Charlotte's Web would be nearly impossible. My recommendations:

Sarah, Plain and Tall

The Boxcar Children

The Courage of Sarah Noble

Charlotte's Web

Little House in the Big Woods (Farmer Boy is also good if your son doesn't like "girl" books)

You may also look at the Songlight reading list this gave me great ideas for my dd.

Dd has read a few of the Robert Clyde Bulla books she loved these

Secret Valley, Riding the Pony Express and Viking Adventures.

Dd is an animal lover so many of these are animal related

Bunnicula

Emiliy's Runaway Imagination

Ralph S. Mouse

The Mouse and the Motorcycle.

Charlotte's Web

The Littles

Black Beauty-- it was abridged version I didn't realize it when we checked it out

B is for Betsy

Along Came a dog

I made a list of 36 books with thumbnail pictures of the covers. I'll post it on our school board and my ds will get to pick which book to read. I expect we'll do 2 a month. These books we will discuss and do fun activities. And then we are doing MCT's APM literature series, which will hopefully takes us on an in depth journey.

Here's what my 3rd gr. will be reading this fall:

Charlotte's Web

American Tall Tales

Stuart Little

Homer Price

Misty of the Chincoteague

Little House in the Big Woods

Little House on the Prairie

Alice in Wonderland

Christian Liberty Nature Reader #3.

Some of these, like Alice in Wonderland we will "buddy read", and will be a challenge. I also like Bevery Cleary books for this age.

Here is our list, but it's not finalized yet. I have to get my hands on the books to figure out how many chapters/pages are in each to decide how many we can read this year.

We will do in-depth literature studies with these books:

Charlotte's Web

Mr. Popper's Penguins

The Whipping Boy

The Big Wave

These will be our other books that my dd will read to me, usually one chapter a day:

A Mouse Called Wolf

Owls in the Family

The Year of Miss Agnes

Toliver's Secret

Sarah, Plain and Tall

The Moffats

Homer Price

McBroom's Wonderful One-Acre Farm

In Grandma's Attic

Emily's Runaway Imagination

Encyclopedia Brown

Frindle

Ginger Pye

Henry and Ribsy

I also try to check out the Sonlight lists..

A few that my dd has read that are more "boyish" that he might enjoy are

How to Eat Fried Worms

The Indian in the Cupboard

Treasure Island

The Sign of the Beaver

Homer Price

The Sugar Creek Gang (series) (Christian)

The American Adventure books

Time Warp Trio

On the easier reading side

Third Grade Detectives (series)

Hank the Cowdog (some name calling? you should probably read them first)

Encyclopedia Brown (series)

On the list for next year

The Littles

The Borrowers

Walk the World's Rim

AND... an old but great series they just re-released but I LOVED as a kid all the Adventures by Willard Price http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_10?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=willard+price&sprefix=willard+pr%2Caps%2C374

HTH Have fun!

Lori

I made a list of 36 books with thumbnail pictures of the covers. I'll post it on our school board and my ds will get to pick which book to read. I expect we'll do 2 a month. These books we will discuss and do fun activities. And then we are doing MCT's APM literature series, which will hopefully takes us on an in depth journey.

I like the idea of making a list with the book covers! I plan to have a book basket with the books we own but a book cover list would be great for books I plan to get at the library. I could have him pick 1 or 2 books from that list each library visit.

I love talking about reading lists! :D

Here is my list for ds (3rd grade in the fall):

Ramona Quimby, Age 8

Abel's Island

No Talking

Ben and Me

James and the Giant Peach

In the Year of the Boar and Jackie Robinson

Dear Mr. Henshaw

From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frakweiler

The Iron Giant

The Family Under the Bridge

(Note: Some of these are 4th or 5th grade level)

He recently read Mr. Popper's Penguins and enjoyed it. He also like Frindle and Tornado.

I find my son has a good eye and will read more with books he has picked out himself. He is going into 3rd grade but some books he has read this year are:

The Penderwick Series by Jeanne Birdsall

working on 2nd book

even though this is about an all girl family he still is very interested in the story.

Lawn Boy 1-2 by Gary Paulsen

this author has some great books but others like The River have more mature content.

Sammy Keyes series by Wendiln Vann Draanen

These are some books from earlier in the year that I started to keep track of. This year I am def. keeping track because I am just amazed at how many books he has read.

I find my son has a good eye and will read more with books he has picked out himself. He is going into 3rd grade but some books he has read this year are:

The Penderwick Series by Jeanne Birdsall

working on 2nd book

even though this is about an all girl family he still is very interested in the story.

Lawn Boy 1-2 by Gary Paulsen

this author has some great books but others like The River have more mature content.

Sammy Keyes series by Wendiln Vann Draanen

These are some books from earlier in the year that I started to keep track of. This year I am def. keeping track because I am just amazed at how many books he has read.

I'm hoping to help ds with this so he'll be able to make better choices in the future. Right now, he likes to read books in a series - Magic Treehouse, A to Z Mysteries, Arthur, etc. While I'm glad he's reading, these books are below his reading level. I've explained to him that it's ok to get some "easy reads" when we go to the library but he needs to balance that with some more challenging books. I'm hoping that having him choose from preselected books in a book basket or on a book list will help.

I love reading lists!

Here's our lists for read alouds and read alones that aren't related to our history, for my 2nd and 4th graders.

Read Alouds

The Door in the Wall (2 weeks)

The Whipping Boy (3 weeks)

The Wish Giver (4 weeks)

The Borrowers (3 weeks)

Misty of Chincoteague (6 weeks)

The Wind in the Willows (4 weeks)

My Father's Dragon (4 weeks)

Adam of the Road (3 weeks)

Peter Pan (4 weeks)

Read-Alones

Mouse and the Motorcycle

The Apprentice

Because of Winn-Dixie

Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle

Ralph S. Mouse

Superfudge

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator

(or: The Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler)

Stuart Little

How to Eat Fried Worms

Do check out the Newbery Medal and Honor book lists! That's where I started piecing our lists together, based on what I own at home. Someone linked me to Scholastic>teachers>some kind of 'wizard' app thing, that tells me not only the *reading* level but also the *interest* level. Fantastic, and helped me decide which books to have them read alone vs which books to read TO them. (High reading level, low interest level = read aloud.)

:bigear: