Menu

In my new Office they use Capitals like This

Part of my new job is typing up specifications for new houses. I'm not the only person who types them up, so I can't change the house style. They seem to use Capitals whenever they want someone to Notice a Word. The style is hard to learn and torture to use.

I'll correct the spelling mistakes - is there such a word as 'lintol'*? - but I think I'm Stuck with the Style.

Laura

*ETA: I've just discovered that 'lintol' is indeed a Scots building term. Glad I checked.

Edited by Laura Corin

Part of my new job is typing up specifications for new houses. I'm not the only person who types them up, so I can't change the house style. They seem to use Capitals whenever they want someone to Notice a Word. The style is hard to learn and torture to use.

Congrats on a job. I've always found it is easier to get another (better) job once you are employed.

And, You can get used to Anything. Just think like a Salesman.

Scots has its own spellings.

Laura

Ah well, we on this side of the Atlantic can't complain about that since Americans have our own spellings too! I lived in Europe and read too many books printed in Britain as a teenager and still prefer British spelling for words like colour and centre (and there goes the spell-checker telling me I'm wrong!)

--Sarah

That would be hard to deal with. On another message board (small, private one) there's one other homeschooling mom. She also likes to "use" Capital Letters and "quotation marks" to Emphasize important "things". I'm barely exaggerating in that last sentence. We also get every detail about her outings to grocery stores and doctor visits...down to the addresses sometimes.

Hi! I haven't chimed in on a discussion in ages (or "ages" if you prefer :D) But I do still lurk here occasionally (once a homeschooler, you know...). And specificiations is part of my stock in trade, so I thought I'd jump in to defend the designers you're working for!

Engineering and architectural specifications have their own style guidelines and writing conventions. I don't doubt whoever you're typing for is probably over reaching even these conventions (we're not typically known for our grammar or spelling skills!) but they are probably following accepted practice; it's not completely random or dependent on How We Feel any given day.

As an example, here's an excerpt from a Florida state department's spec style guide listing words that should be capitalized:

"Article when referring to the numbered prime subdivision of a Section of the

specifications.

Contract when referring to the entire and integrated agreement setting forth the obligations between the Department and other parties thereunder and supersedes all prior negotiations, representations, or agreements, either written

or oral.

Contractor when referring to the individual, firm, joint venture or company selected by the department, to perform the work.

Department when referring to the State of Florida Department of Transportation.

Developmental Specification when referring to a specification developed around a new process, procedure or material.

District when referring to the Districts of FDOT.

Division when referring to any of the three main parts of the FDOT Specifications Book.

Engineer when referring to the Director of the Office of Construction acting directly or through duly authorized representatives.

Engineer of Record when referring to the Professional Engineer or Engineering Firm registered in the State of Florida that develops the criteria and concept for the project, performs the analysis, and is responsible for the preparation of the Contract Documents."

That's just a taste, you can find plenty of others on-line (these are usually state offices) and each individual office has it's own "style book" (written or unwritten.)

Enjoy!

"Article when referring to the numbered prime subdivision of a Section of the

specifications.

Contract when referring to the entire and integrated agreement setting forth the obligations between the Department and other parties thereunder and supersedes all prior negotiations, representations, or agreements, either written

or oral.

In that case the capitalisation separates 'department' (any old department) from 'Department' (aforementioned specific department). My company writes things like:

Specification for Interior Doors will be Redwood with Chrome Handles.

Laura