Menu

grammar confusion??? Help clear me up please.

bnwhitaker

I think I get what diagramming is... Yes sad I know. I will be learning with my littles. But I was going to go with shurley english and I keep seeing people say that shurley does not diagram but that diagramming is important.

So what does shurley do instead?? Will I need another curriculum to get diagramming in? If Shurley does not diagram then is it not a thourough program for grammar??

Some programs parse instead of diagramming. I use KISS, and there is no diagramming, but you label all the parts of speech that you have learned thus far. Diagramming is a more visual representation of the sentence structure.

I do teach diagramming, though we haven't practiced it in a while. It's not a hard topic for DS1 to learn, so if he can parse the sentence, diagramming it later will be easy peasy.

Diagramming is just one tool for thinking logically about how sentences are put together. The main thing is the logic, not the tool. Personally, I don't like diagramming, because it HIDES the logical connections for me. I can understand a sentence when I read it, but when I look at a diagram I'm not sure where to start. I much prefer the KISS parsing method --- but that's what I'm used to. Use the tool that helps you think about the logic of the sentence, because that's what is really important.