Menu

How do you schedule your afternoons?

basically, what is done at what timeframes following lunch?

I will have my toddler napping for an hour at this time, hoping to fit in KONOS activities during this time. I'm planning it 3 days a week with the 4th day off and the 5th day at our gym class.

what do you do in the "off" days? you know - the days you don't get to much school. Do you require anything? For me a half hour of complete quiet is helpful/. for them it is torture, LOL.

I'd like to stick to maybe a 1/2 hour to an hour of reading for my oldest . However my boys are on very different levels with this. DS (5) could maybe read for 5 mins. DS (8) up to an hour.

they both like Reading Eggs computer program. Do you have kids alternate if using the computer?

just need some input as to what you all do...

Scheduling it helps all around here...I'm unsure how to keep everything "fair" while requiring more from my 8yo...

Edited by honeymommy4

My dd usually has therapy 3 afternoons a week. During that time I do more work with ds or we use that as errand time. If I am requiring quiet time (because I also desperately need it at times) then they have similar assignments. If ds is reading, then dd is listening to books on CD, or ds is having to read to her, for example. We also only have one computer that has educational programs so they do have to alternate turns.

And there is no fair. My ds gets frustrated that he has to do more at times then dd. Well, too bad. He also gets to do more (junior youth, sports, etc) than she does because of her age. My argument is that if he wants fair and equal treatment (ie they are treated the same) then he will have to live life as a 5 yr old because I won't allow her the same priviledges as a 12 yr old.

basically, what is done at what timeframes following lunch? .

We implement most of the Charlotte Mason method of homeschooling and keep afternoons free of parent-structured academics. During the afternoons, if we are not out somewhere, ds is doing something of his own interest.

Could I just say that if you get Konos done with a 3 month old in the house you're WAY more of a woman than I am? :lol:

Think simple, that's all I can say, lol. Do something each day that wears them out, then give them quiet time to read or do audiobooks for an hour afterward. My dd ice skated each day for a number of years, and that left her worn out and ready to read or listen to books for a quiet time. Then we could come back together and do games or art or whatever wanted for a bit, make dinner, and call it a day. Don't try too hard. A 3rd grader gets 3-4 hours a day, and that INCLUDES his reading. So if you do 3 hours in the morning and he reads for an hour in quiet time, he's DONE. Don't try to do too much. They really benefit from "masterly inactivity" I think CM calls it. Ie they need time to do their things. My dd wouldn't remember all the things she could do, so I needed to provide some structure for that or reminders. She had a craft table for a number of years, and I set her up drawers with her supplies so she could work there each day. Your older two might have something like that they're into. The oldest might like some time to rip apart things or do that interest in the garage while you play with just the littles.

Thanks! this might seem like a strange question but wondering what you do on days you don't do school. We are on a break. But my kids seem SOOO bored if I do not structure the entire day. they don't ever really get into anything that is of interest. they just ask to watch TV. I have been allowing 1 or 2 half hour shows a day. but after this - then what?

having the two younger ones makes it tricky. Because typically the bad behavior starts then the toddler gets involved and i just need to tend to the baby...

mostly they roll around on the floor, or just keep talking to me - ALL DAY.. lol or... fighting with eachother verbally...

and KONOS is not that hard here. it seems like you only do a few activities a day. easier for me to keep them busy with something planned than to do textbook history, science, etc. which my kids seem to resent... :tongue_smilie:

hope that makes sense...

When my dd was young I set up stations. So I'd have a table with all the art supplies, because art was her thing. The table was at her height, one of those adjustable kinds you can buy. I kept (and still keep) all or almost all the toys up high in laundry baskets. That way they have to ask for things and they're fresh. I keep a shelf and box of rainy day things. With my ds I made a list of all the types of things he could do. That way when we draw a blank we have the list to consult. And this point even fun isn't spontaneous, lol. I just look at that list of 15+ things and we figure out what we want to do next.

I looked after a large number of missionary children one summer when they were visiting us. What I did then was to look on Enchanted Learning for an activity and have something in mind for each day. Then I had those categories (read books, puzzles, light brite bin, marble run, etc. etc.). If they took off playing and didn't need the activity, then I just saved it for the next day. If they needed it, it was there.

You know there's also a lot of cool stuff they won't even recognize as school. For instance my dd was AGHAST to find that the Snap Circuits I gave her years ago for Christmas were technically for our science. ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't think, in general, it's good to entertain kids too much. They need to get bored so they take their own initiative. Problem is, like you say, some kids (my dd!!!) don't remember all the options they have and need some structure. So it's just a little psychology to sort through, whether they need structure to remember their options (checklists, discussion at noon/lunch about each person's plans for the afternoon) or whether they need more options (new kits and things they want to do) or whether they need more independent access to the options (stations, low tables, that sort of thing). Just a thought.

BTW, you're on the SN board. What are the labels for your dc' SN? That might explain why they're sitting around saying they're bored.

Ok,

DS eas diagnosed at age 5 with ODD. at age 7 we took him back because there was more to the issue and he was diagnosed with OCD/Anxiety.

None of my other kids have been diagnosed with anything. DS (5) is completely opposite of DS (8) and is HIGH energy. he is up at the crack of dawn. :)

DD follows DS (8) more low-stim personality.

DS(2) seems more like DH completely "normal" by-the-book kind of child. :)

too early to tell with littlest DS, LOL. :001_smile: He's very sweet.

OhELizabeth - just wondering if you can provide a list of some of those "ideas" you mentioned: light bright, shrinky dinks were some of them. I want to have "stations" set up but maybe I can set one up in our bedroom? I don't want the toddler to be able to access the art supplies, etc. or maybe it is only set up during nap time?

I figured KONOS would be a way to cover history, science, art (all things that my oldest likes)

i am required to cover these things, but should I just stick to basics and let life fill in those holes?? :D

Edited by honeymommy4

These are not the exact tables I have, but they're similar. I have a 30" that is adjustable, just thin like this one but sturdy enough to hold say 5-8 yo art projects or puzzles and keep them up out of the way. Then I have a longer adjustable height table I got from a school supply, something similar to the 2nd link. Sometimes school supply/equipment places have rejects and 2nds they sell cheaper. Just call around.

http://www.staples.com/Sudden-Solutions-30-Personal-Folding-Table/product_777587

http://www.staples.com/Iceberg-6-Adjustable-Height-Resin-Folding-Table-Platinum/product_732441

Also, you can get just a couple cabinets from Home Depot or Lowes and run a countertop along them, creating an island. That way it's up HIGHER than a typical table, meaning your toddler can't get into it. Keeps things like legos and puzzles and involved projects out of reach. There was a pic once someone posted of a beautiful homeschool room island like this. She had a cabinet for each kid (4?) and a LONG run of countertop. The spaces between the cabinets where where the kids sat on high stools.

So that might give you some ideas. Sounds like you've got a handful. My dd finds it hard to work with ds around, so that long counter wouldn't actual be a good school situation for us, however we did finally make one for working on projects and things at, now that she's older, and it's nice. The adjustable height tables are nice because you can move them around and reconfigure your space each year as your needs change.

BTW, have you seen the folding 6' tables Walmart sells? I have a couple tables like that, and some years I've put them together to create one large square island. That was pretty fun. You could put art supplies in the middle, plastic drawers underneath, do art on one side, puzzles on the other, or clear the whole thing for a massive project, and it's all out of reach of a toddler. :)