Menu

Recommended Phonics Readers?

MEVmom

My DD turned 5 in May and will be starting K this year. I started Phonics with her in January. At first we did Veritas (someone gave it to me), but it had too much going on. I wanted something simple, so we switched to OPG. She has made it to about lesson 47 or so. She is reading, but unlike DS, isn't REALLY taking to it naturally. We do have a few sets of BOB books. She has read the first 2-3 sets. But sometimes the BOB books make kind of big jumps and you get some incidental phonics in there. That was fine for my son because he sees it once and knows it. But my DD needs more practice to really catch on.

It's hard for me to know if she in on track because DS was so advanced it skews my perception. That makes it hard to know if OPG is working, if she's really getting it... she still confuses lowercase b and d almost constantly. It just feels like we are stalling a little. I know she isn't even in K yet, so maybe I shouldn't be worried. But I want to get phonics right!

Lowercase b and d confusion is very common. No need to worry at her age.

My dd loves the Nora Gaydos Now I'm Reading! book sets. They have engaging stories and great illustrations. I do the phonics lesson first and then she reads a book. I don't coordinate the reading with the OPGTR lesson. She reads each book 4x for school and then it graduates to her "free-reading" basket.

I found that when we started straying from the book a bit (we've been using 100 EZ Lessons) DD got more out of phonics lessons. For example, we played lots of memory games with groups of easy phonetic words (hat, bat, can, etc.) and with some sight words (the, see, etc.). Once she was reading words outside the realm of our phonics book she was able to generalize more. We also got Pathway readers and have been doing them, which has helped. She now likes to read Dr. Seuss type books. We read them together and she reads the words she knows (or can sound out) and I help out with the random harder ones.

We also like BOB books (though not as much as I thought we would) and DD loves the Nora Gaydos too.

We used Phonics Pathways, Reading Pathways, and Free & Treadwell Readers. I liked Free & Treadwell so much more than anything else I've found ... for the Primer level (about K, I'd think) I would read one page to Button, then have him read it back, then we'd move on, and work 5-10 minutes at a time until he could read the whole story to me. Then we moved to the next one. The stories are much more interesting than Bob books, which he didn't really like.

The only problem with Free & Treadwell is that some of the content of the Third Reader is too sophisticated for young children, IMHO -- I mean, the plots are Byzantine -- so if she zooms ahead you'll probably want to stop at the second reader. Or selectively filter the third.

ETA: you can find the Free & Treadwell stuff in the public domain online, or order through Yesterday's Classics which prints on demand; they are vintage.