Menu

Chicken people! An emergency question for you!!

He was fine yesterday. We brought him to a 4-H clinic and when we got home he wasn't walking. He was fine at the clinic. Now today his leg is turning green. What is going on?? We got him by "accident" When we got him we thought he was a Production Red Hen but he ended up being a Golden Lakenvelder (very rare!!!) We don't want to lose him!

I asked on backyardchickens.com but so far no answers and it has been a couple hours.

He was fine yesterday. We brought him to a 4-H clinic and when we got home he wasn't walking. He was fine at the clinic. Now today his leg is turning green. What is going on?? We got him by "accident" When we got him we thought he was a Production Red Hen but he ended up being a Golden Lakenvelder (very rare!!!) We don't want to lose him!

I asked on backyardchickens.com but so far no answers and it has been a couple hours.

Was he accidentally kicked or dropped? Was his leg caught in the carrier or something?

Perhaps his leg is broken and he doesn't have circulation? I hope you figure it out...poor guy.

Just googled :(. Could it be Marek's disease and it is affecting the skin? I hope not :(

Edited by maddykate

I can only tell you what I would do. First, I would really carefully compare the legs and look for any differences (besides color). Basically, looking for a fracture. If it looks like there is one you can google how to splint it it.

If you still can not find what is causing the problem, you can try to treat the pain with baby aspirin. http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/374821/what-kind-of-pain-meds-can-you-give-chickens

I am sorry. I just lost my favorite hen last week and I have no idea why :(

Not sure if it's the same thing, but we had a chicken that injured her leg and was limping around. It turned green and I thought for sure she was a goner (I know, that's horrible). But she limped around for a couple weeks and her green leg healed up and she was back to normal (color and all). Hope all works out well for your chicken.

Not sure if it's the same thing, but we had a chicken that injured her leg and was limping around. It turned green and I thought for sure she was a goner (I know, that's horrible). But she limped around for a couple weeks and her green leg healed up and she was back to normal (color and all). Hope all works out well for your chicken.

I REALLY hope this is the case!!!