Menu

Serious Grammar Questions!!! (xpost)

Please help me understand the following sentences:

Two of my brothers are in college.

I understand "two" is the subject and "are" is the verb. However, "in college" when diagrammed according to ds's book is placed on slanted line below verb like an adverb. I know it is prepositional phrase but I am wondering if it modifies the subject as a predicate adjective with the verb being linking.

Spring is not here yet.

Again I know "spring" is the subject and "is" is the verb and "yet" is an adverb. However, is not "here" describing "spring" as a predicate adjective??? His book diagramms "here" as a slanted line beneath "is" as if it it an adverb in this case. I know "here" can function as an adverb as in the sentence "Come here," but tin this case it is confusing to me. Can an adverb describe a linking verb like "is"?

Please help:D

Please help me understand the following sentences:

Two of my brothers are in college.

I understand "two" is the subject and "are" is the verb. However, "in college" when diagrammed according to ds's book is placed on slanted line below verb like an adverb. I know it is prepositional phrase but I am wondering if it modifies the subject as a predicate adjective with the verb being linking.

The phrase "in college" is a prepositional phrase being used as an adverb that answers the question where. As an adverb it can't modify two which is functioning as a noun. The book correctly places it under the verb are.

Spring is not here yet.

Again I know "spring" is the subject and "is" is the verb and "yet" is an adverb. However, is not "here" describing "spring" as a predicate adjective??? His book diagramms "here" as a slanted line beneath "is" as if it it an adverb in this case. I know "here" can function as an adverb as in the sentence "Come here," but tin this case it is confusing to me. Can an adverb describe a linking verb like "is"?

Here is an adverb in this sentence answering the question where. As an adverb it belongs under is with the other two adverbs not and yet.

HTH

The book is correct, IMO. This is how I approached it: I first divided each sentence into the subject part and the predicate part. The complete predicates are "are in college" and "is not here yet", respectively. Since "in college" and "here" both belong to the predicate sides of the sentences, they have to stay there. You can't arbitrarily move them over to the subject side.

I guess I was expecting the linking verb in each sentence to link a predicate adjective or predicate nominative to the subjects. Can an adverb modify the verb "to be"?

I personally don't think a distinction needs to be taught; however, as a simple explanation, I would avoid thinking strictly in terms of linking verbs but include state of being verbs.

Linking verbs function in the manner you are focusing on: n v pa or n v pn

However, w/state of being, they may be followed by an adverb or prep phrase functioning as an adverb.

She is here. (subj state of being verb adv)

She is on vacation. (subj state of being verb adverbial prep phrase)

HTH

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

I personally don't think a distinction needs to be taught; however, as a simple explanation, I would avoid thinking strictly in terms of linking verbs, but also in terms of state of being.

Linking verbs function in the manner you are focusing on: n v pa or n v pn

However, w/state of being, they may be followed by an adverb or prep phrase functioning as an adverb.

She is here. (subj state of being verb adv)

She is on vacation. (subj state of being verb adverbial prep phrase)

HTH

Thanks!!!:D