Menu

Overplanned! Tell me what to drop.

bcnlvr

Ok. Maybe I'm insane, but I think I overdid the curriculum shopping. I have a science-loving student who really doesn't prefer to read or write unless it's science related.

However, I am distracted by shining things. Here is what I *want to do* for my 5th grader in the fall:

Math Mammoth 6 (completed 5 last year)

Mosdos Coral Literature (since we are only doing 3 whole novels)

MCT Voyage: Grammar/Practice/Vocab (no writing or poetry)

MCT Literature (3 novels)

Aesop B

Megawords

Singapore MPH 5/6 (did 5 last year, finishing 6)

NOEO Chemistry (not my idea, ds wants to do 2 sci currics)

American History (K12 - History of US)

SYRWTL Spanish 1

Latin Prep

The Latin/Spanish, Sciences, Math and MCT are already hits. It's the Mosdos, Aesop, and Megawords that are new/unknown.

My preference would be to make my STEM-kid drop the 2nd science so we could do ALL of the LA! :tongue_smilie:

I'm not sure, though. I think the Language Arts may be too heavy. I had everything planned out and then fell in love with the progym and bought Aesop. Oh, and look! There's Mosdos! I added that, too. (I don't plan to do Harvey's grammar or focus on spelling/vocab overly much in Aesop as I am doing MCT and Megawords.)

Any feedback on this would be helpful. PLEASE!!!

Michele

I'm not much help, as I am the Queen of Overplanning. :nopity:

If one history program is good, why not do three? :001_cool:

Language Arts? Don't even go there. :blushing:

Fine Arts? :smilielol5: Really. How much does a kid need to know? Five programs worth?

See, I'm no help.

There was a post on the high school board recently about using the dart board method of culling and planning.

I may try that. :tongue_smilie:

I think your language arts is too heavy. You have 2 vocabulary programs and 2 literature programs. I would definitely drop Megawords, and plan to do, at most, half of Mosdos (you can do the rest next year if it's a hit). Since you're not using MCT's writing, Aesop could fill that gap.

MCT's vocab should double as spelling already. I is based in Latin word roots, and learning to recognize those roots helps you to start parsing out words as roots and suffixes/prefixes instead of syllables, which directly improves both spelling and understanding.

If you move up into Magic Lens level later, you'll get Greek and German and Old English word roots along with the Latin, further broadening the spelling sense.

I'm not much help, as I am the Queen of Overplanning. :nopity:

If one history program is good, why not do three? :001_cool:

Language Arts? Don't even go there. :blushing:

Fine Arts? :smilielol5: Really. How much does a kid need to know? Five programs worth?

See, I'm no help.

There was a post on the high school board recently about using the dart board method of culling and planning.

I may try that. :tongue_smilie:

LOLOL Sounds like me! I have overplanned in history and math this time....

Ok. Maybe I'm insane, but I think I overdid the curriculum shopping. I have a science-loving student who really doesn't prefer to read or write unless it's science related.

However, I am distracted by shining things. Here is what I *want to do* for my 5th grader in the fall:

Math Mammoth 6 (completed 5 last year)

Mosdos Coral Literature (since we are only doing 3 whole novels)Does this include vocab or writing?

MCT Literature (3 novels)Does this include vocab and writing?

Aesop B

MegawordsThis is a spelling program, but could also easily include vocabulary---We use this and I enter the words into vocabulary.com each week

Singapore MPH 5/6 (did 5 last year, finishing 6)Do you need two maths?

NOEO Chemistry (not my idea, ds wants to do 2 sci currics)Where is the other science?

American History (K12 - History of US)

SYRWTL Spanish 1

Latin Prep

The Latin/Spanish, Sciences, Math and MCT are already hits. It's the Mosdos, Aesop, and Megawords that are new/unknown.

My preference would be to make my STEM-kid drop the 2nd science so we could do ALL of the LA! :tongue_smilie:

I'm not sure, though. I think the Language Arts may be too heavy. I had everything planned out and then fell in love with the progym and bought Aesop. Oh, and look! There's Mosdos! I added that, too. (I don't plan to do Harvey's grammar or focus on spelling/vocab overly much in Aesop as I am doing MCT and Megawords.)

Any feedback on this would be helpful. PLEASE!!!

Michele

I added what I would think about in the above quote.

I added what I would think about in the above quote.

Thank you for taking the time to look and respond!

Mosdos Coral Literature (since we are only doing 3 whole novels)Does this include vocab or writing? --- Not really. There is a weekly "worksheet" of fill-in-the-blank vocab, but no word study. Also, the writing is answering comprehension questions, not a writing program per se. I have it mostly for reading and discussion.

MCT Literature (3 novels)Does this include vocab and writing? --- No. There are "quote quizzes" and discussion questions. Some writing, but again, it's just answering questions, not any kind of writing study (grammar, mechanics, etc).

Aesop B

MegawordsThis is a spelling program, but could also easily include vocabulary---We use this and I enter the words into vocabulary.com each week I also hear that this takes very little time to do. Is that true?

Singapore MPH 5/6 (did 5 last year, finishing 6)Do you need two maths? This is "My Pals Are Here" Science by Singapore.

NOEO Chemistry (not my idea, ds wants to do 2 sci currics)Where is the other science? See above

:001_smile:

Mosdos Coral Literature (since we are only doing 3 whole novels)Does this include vocab or writing? --- Not really. There is a weekly "worksheet" of fill-in-the-blank vocab, but no word study. Also, the writing is answering comprehension questions, not a writing program per se. I have it mostly for reading and discussion.

MCT Literature (3 novels)Does this include vocab and writing? --- No. There are "quote quizzes" and discussion questions. Some writing, but again, it's just answering questions, not any kind of writing study (grammar, mechanics, etc).

Aesop B

MegawordsThis is a spelling program, but could also easily include vocabulary---We use this and I enter the words into vocabulary.com each week I also hear that this takes very little time to do. Is that true?

Personally, I'd drop the Mosdos. If you're doing the three novels w/ MCT, then I'd just pick some other books to fill in the rest of the year (your choice or his) and discuss them orally. You could easily cover vocab, lit. analysis etc this way. I wouldn't want to add "busy work" type writing when you're doing Aesop (and I would consider "fill in the blank" worksheets "busy work" for lit.)

(Not that I should talk...I have 2 science, 2 math, 2 history, AHHHHH!!! Maybe YOU should read my curr. choices and help ME cut stuff somewhere.....Nevermind that, I want to DO IT ALL!!) :)

Edited by Homemama2

Aesop B

Singapore MPH 5/6 (did 5 last year, finishing 6)Do you need two maths? This is "My Pals Are Here" Science by Singapore.

NOEO Chemistry (not my idea, ds wants to do 2 sci currics)Where is the other science? See above

Okay, I see the two sciences now! I saw Singapore and just assumed math. Of the MPHs I've seen in person, they seem pretty workbookish. Noeo involves notebooking along with the experiments. I think either would be enough, but I think both would also not be too much!

We spend about 10-15 minutes a day on Megawords. There isn't really a set schedule for the program, so I just pick out work to fill that time. Then my girls also spend 10-15 minutes on vocabulary.com.

If you are going to use all the programs listed above for LA, I would be careful not to overload on the writing--for the comprehension questions.

Planning is my favorite part of homeschooling! After 13 years, I've finally figured out how much we can do, BUT I still want to fit in all the neat things I see!

My eyes are always bigger than my stomach when it comes to curriculum shopping. My problem is always that my kids either don't want to or can't do what I've picked out in my head. It helps that I have a 'gut check' when I plan everything out. Invariably, I don't have enough 'me' to go around with all the kids, so I have to cut things out. (Maybe that means you need to HS more kids!)

If you have time in your day for all of those & if your kid doesn't revolt, I'd say do 'em all!

Otherwise, had you thought about doing "units" of LA? Say, six weeks of Mosdos & Aesop. Then, six weeks of Voyage & Megawords. Then, six weeks of MCT Lit & Aesop. Then, six weeks of Mosdos & Voyage. Etc. You are only doing two LAs at a time, but this allows you to "try them all out" and you can drop (or do less often) the one(s) that aren't as popular. :tongue_smilie: