Menu

Any resources for learning calligraphy?

Aconnolley

We are studying Middle Ages, Renaissance, and Reformation this year. I would like to include learning some calligraphy. (this would be for an artistic 9yo) does anyone know of a good resource that we could use? It would have to be fairly simple and straightforward since I don't know anything about calligraphy. I checked YouTube and found lots of videos, but the ones I watched didn't give easy step by step instructions.

I have found so many great resources and helps here. I'm hoping that the Hive can help me out again. :001_smile:

Thanks!

Angela

Do you have a Hobby Lobby or some other craft store near you?

I found an inexpensive kit (included pens, paper and guide book) at HL.

We used it last year as a handicraft, as I wanted/needed another way to work on DS's fine motor skills. We are still using it this year for Middle Ages study.

I think Penny Gardner has some youtube videos showing her style of italics, which to me, looks close to calligraphy.

My kids are learning italics cursive for their everyday writing with the Getty-Dubay workbooks and I think it looks fabulous, calligraphy the simple way is how I think of it.

I think Penny Gardner has some youtube videos showing her style of italics, which to me, looks close to calligraphy.

My kids are learning italics cursive for their everyday writing with the Getty-Dubay workbooks and I think it looks fabulous, calligraphy the simple way is how I think of it.

:iagree:with this. I also liked these books:

1. Getty-Dubay's book for adults called Write Now

2. Calligraphy for kids by Eleanor Winters

3. 1-2-3 calligraphy! : letters and projects for beginners by Eleanor Winters

4. Calligraphy books by Jim Bennet - available on Amazon and lulu.com

ETA: There was a free calligraphy lesson online; now available via the wayback machine.

Edited by nansk