Menu

WTM At-A-Glance LIST -- Anyone done this??

hjordan423

I love The Well Trained Mind! But, I am big on lists. And I really want to have an Excel or Word spreadsheet that condenses the information in WTM into a year-by-year list, divided by subject, of all the recommended curricula and resources. Something I can just look at, and have everything on one page - at least for a year at a time.

I know the Epilogue section for each stage (grammar, logic, rhetoric) give an at-a-glance breakdown of what to do for each subject and for how long. And that's great and very helpful. But I also want a condensed list of all the wonderful resources named throughout each section.

Does anyone have this to share??? If not, I will be compiling one myself. :tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie: (Labor intesive, but worth it for me in the long run).

Thanks!!

Thanks Tracy - I have actually seen this, and it is helpful. But I am really looking for a spreadsheet or list that includes everything...every book suggested, every curriculum suggested, etc. I know this might be crazy, but I'm just a list person. I love the "meat and potatoes" of the full text, but I also need the "boiled down" version -- a list. I guess I'm quirky like that. :)

Thanks for the response!

• 4 weeks later...
I love The Well Trained Mind! But, I am big on lists. And I really want to have an Excel or Word spreadsheet that condenses the information in WTM into a year-by-year list, divided by subject, of all the recommended curricula and resources. Something I can just look at, and have everything on one page - at least for a year at a time.

I know the Epilogue section for each stage (grammar, logic, rhetoric) give an at-a-glance breakdown of what to do for each subject and for how long. And that's great and very helpful. But I also want a condensed list of all the wonderful resources named throughout each section.

Does anyone have this to share??? If not, I will be compiling one myself. :tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie: (Labor intesive, but worth it for me in the long run).

Thanks!!

I imagine it would be against copyright to share something like this. :confused:

I imagine it would be against copyright to share something like this. :confused:

No, I don't think so. If you were to copy lesson plans, and lists in entirety that would be different. But to just list pages numbers and associated resources, I believe that isn't infringing on the ideas presented in the original work.

• 10 months later...

I go through every year and make my own notes for each year my children are going to be doing, make lists (and add in my own ideas from elsewhere), and make outlines of how the book recommends approaching each subject.

I don't end up doing everything exactly that way in our homeschool, but taking the notes each time helps me clarify again some good goals to shoot for, and then I can modify from there. The book isn't perfect, of course, but there is so much there that every time I go back to it I remember something I want to make sure to do with the kids, or see something that I had completely missed or not really understood the point of before. My point in all this is to say that I benefit so much more from doing this myself than I would by seeing a list of programs that someone else made. The meat of the book isn't in the list of books or curricula, IMO, it's in the method.

The meat of the book isn't in the list of books or curricula, IMO, it's in the method.

:iagree: 100%. Once you get the book and understand the method, you'll then find better curriculum recommendations by hanging around on these forums. :)

Now that I've done it myself, I tend to agree that going through the process of making the "list" or "outline" myself is most beneficial.  I just created my own quick reference for just one year and it really helped me to clear out all the clutter in my mind and to re-focus on the big picture.   :001_smile:

Besides copyright issues, curricula change so frequently that it would be a hassle to maintain.  I have created a quick sheet consolidating all of the literature questions onto one page, and I've put sticky notes on various pages to note key sections/charts, so my copy bristles with bookmarks sticking out, but even this list-lover hasn't tried to tabulate all curricula.