Menu

Interesting article "Disadvantages of an Elite Education"

what I wrote on the General Boards:

I understand the point author is trying to make, but it seems to me that the attitude of elitism is cultivated.

Isn't there a false dichotomy present here? In other words, why can we not educate our children well, and at the same time educate them to have humility while we teach them? The two qualities are not mutually exclusive, IMO. One can have an Ivy League education and be humble, can one not? The attitude of elitism doesn't have to necessarily follow an Ivy League (or elite) education.

I'm not necessarily looking for an Ivy League education for our daughters, but I do want them to take advantage of the best education possible, given their gifts and talents and the opportunities that open up for them.

I'm certainly not as well educated as I'd like to be; hence the draw towards classical education. However, I do possess a college degree, and I've never yet had difficulty finding something to talk about with our plumber.

I would add on this post that I can see if someone attends an Ivy League college and is filled, day after day, with the mantra, "You are superior"---that attitude would be hard to resist. However, I think the ideal is to give your child a great education and also give them sound values and an understanding of the inestimable value of every human being.