Menu

Does anyone else's six year old pour cereal without making a mess?!

Mine are 13, 11, and 9. They still make messes when they pour stuff. Come to think of it, I do too sometimes:D. I am trying to teach them to clean up their work area when they are finished. The problem is that they go from place to place and leave little messes in so many areas that they forget where they are supposed to clean:glare:

haha my almost 9 year old is the messiest one, dd4 does a better job, but even my teens end up with some spilling (though dd12 it is usually just a couple peices), ds13 I finally had to tell him he has to use a measuring cup to scoop it out rather than pour because he would have it dumped everywhere.

My 10yo, who is a Black Belt in karate, plays piano, is in chime choir, clog dances, and plays banjo... all with great large/fine motor skill, cannot pour a bowl of cereal without making a mess. :glare: If I want to be sure she has eaten breakfast I don't have to look for her dirty bowl... I just have to walk into the kitchen barefoot. :ack2:

It wasn't the pouring that drove me batty, it was taking a large bowl filling it to the top, pouring 2 cups of milk on top and eating 5 bites.

I made one child (12) sit there and eat the whole thing one morning and it took ALL morning!

Now, they have specific bowls they can use eat cereal out of. They can fill it up twice if they would like too, but they must finish the complete bowl.

My 10yo, who is a Black Belt in karate, plays piano, is in chime choir, clog dances, and plays banjo... all with great large/fine motor skill, cannot pour a bowl of cereal without making a mess. :glare: If I want to be sure she has eaten breakfast I don't have to look for her dirty bowl... I just have to walk into the kitchen barefoot. :ack2:

Same here. My 10yo DD is a fabulously talented martial artist and is also very artistic. She thinks with the artistic side of her head and that obviously doesn't include thinking about cleaning up half a box of cereal that misses the bowl. :glare: As someone said, good thing they are cute.

My 6yo is usually fine, but we have 1/2 gallons or she wouldn't be able to pour the milk.

Edited by Munchkins_mama

I'm stunting my kids for life, because we don't even pour cereal. The kids drink a liquid yogurt and eat dry cereal out of the box. The reasons are (a) they are not good about finishing their cereal with milk, and I hate wasting food; (b) I'm not looking for ever more dishes to wash; © they seem to prefer it that way.

That said, they still manage to drop cereal on the floor. That is why their "theoretical" chore is to sweep the floor. (Theoretical because they don't actually do it very often.)

Maybe a couple times a year I let them try to pour cereal and milk into a bowl. They seem a bit scared to try (at age 5). That could be because I buy milk in gallons.

My kid sister was making her own breakfast before age 2, however. Then again, she was cooking meals alone at age 4. Not a fair comparison.