Menu

Reading Comprehension and Word Problems?

sweetbaby

How do you teach word problem solving to a child who has difficulty with reading comprehension? My older twin son has this. We are using Rod and Staff Math. We have incorporated manips and even made charts with "what you know" and "what you don't know" on opposite sides in order to work the word problems. I would really hate to change curriculum. That would be a last resort because I think it's the child and not the book so no matter what I use, he would have difficulty understanding the word or story problems. Does anyone have a child with this and how have you handled teaching word problems? :confused: I need some suggestions, please. His twin has no problems and zooms through story problems which frustrates his brother even more.:(

Have you tried just adding Singapore's Challenging Word Problems? I'm not familiar with R&S math, so I don't know the approach you're using. CWP uses the bar method, and starts out with several examples. Then gives some easy word problems, which get progressively harder.

Have you tried just adding Singapore's Challenging Word Problems? I'm not familiar with R&S math, so I don't know the approach you're using. CWP uses the bar method, and starts out with several examples. Then gives some easy word problems, which get progressively harder.

Hmm. I've never looked at Singapore. I will take a peek at it. Thanks.

Oh, Rod and Staff is mastery. Sorry, I didn't include that.

Talking a lot and asking leading questions helps a lot, I think. Your idea of a chart of what you do and don't know is good, but do you TALK through it with your dc? Also, (this has helped us sometimes) have him pretend to teach YOU how to do it. I think verbalizing things sometimes helps. Just a thought or two. Hope it helps a smidge.