Menu

Can you help me with a 12th grade math program-non-traditional type course?

dd wants to do a consumer/business math type of program. She has done Algebra 1 and 2 and Geometry already and does not plan to go into a math at college so I think it should be fine.

I think that I had a half credit each in hs in business and consumer math. I am stumped on how to fill that so we are trying to build our own.

She will also be taking an online Economics course that has you invest in the stock market with fict. money and that certainly has some math but not sure I could list it as such. I also want/need to sort of build her personal finance education as well. She may need an eye-opener on money and choosing a career that pays and the paying for college front:tongue_smilie:.

I am thinking of the Dave ramsey stuff- perhaps the adult version. This child has good SAT scores and wants to apply to decent colleges so I do not want to list something that may hurt her.

I am open to other ideas for 12th grade math?

Thanks for your help,

Kathy

I'd run a quick check at the schools she wants to apply to and make sure a consumer math class will be okay with them.

If it is not, you could consider statistics as an alternative to precalculus.

I agree about checking with the colleges to which she might want to apply.

I don't agree about statistics, though. When my daughter ended up needing another math and not wanting precalc, everyone suggested statistics. But, boy oh boy, did she hate that course. We ended up dropping it within a few weeks of starting.

Instead, she did a text from Key Curriculum Press called Advanced Euclidean Geometry, which was coordinated with Geometer's Sketchpad. She really liked geometry and had a much better time with that than statistics. (We gave her only half a credit for it, because it was pretty light.)

It doesn't look like that book is available anymore, unfortunately. But I found this website while poking around that looks like it might be interesting: http://www.calvin.edu/~venema/eeg/eeg.html

In my state, personal finance is a graduation requirement. While I'm not suggesting this makes it a requirement for homeschoolers, it does mean that colleges are used to seeing it on transcripts, even top flight transcripts. I know Missouri isn't the only state that has added the requirement. I'm sure a personal finance credit won't hurt her.

We're planning to do 1/2 credit using Dave Ramsey and add a few supplementary books. If I wanted a full credit, I would consider MUS Stewardship.

Dd did Lial's Intermediate Algebra after taking BJU Algebra 2. I got approval from her college. That extra year of algebra really sealed it for her and she did very well on her college math placement exam (actually placed into calculus w/o taking precalculus). She will take college algebra, though. Math goes fast at college.

How exactly does one run a quick check on that? I see on the college boards that most of the colleges require 3 years of math, one requires four, but they do not say what the fourth should be.

Standardly acceptable fourth year math then consists of what options?

Pre-calc, Calc and Statistics?:001_huh:

How exactly does one run a quick check on that? I see on the college boards that most of the colleges require 3 years of math, one requires four, but they do not say what the fourth should be.

Standardly acceptable fourth year math then consists of what options?

Pre-calc, Calc and Statistics?:001_huh:

I'm not aware of any quick and easy way to check this sort of thing. What I've done is just go to the websites of several individual colleges in which I think my student might be interested -- including at least one "safety school" like the state university and one "only in our dreams" school -- and see what they recommend.

I've also poked around online looking at the curriculm guides and graduation requirements for high schools in my state, both public and private, to get a sense of what they're offering.

For what it's worth (which may be nothing, since my daughter went a non-traditional route to college and my son hasn't applied yet), here's what each of mine had / will have on their transcripts:

Daughter:

- Algebra I

- Geometry

- Algebra II

- Geometry II

Son:

- Geometry (8th grade)

- Liberal Arts Mathematics (which will count as an elective)

- Topics in Discrete Mathematics

- Algebra II

- Precalc

I've always wanted to use this text: Mathematics: A Human Endeavor by Harold Jacobs. It's full of interesting math from all different areas of math. I have it on the shelf in hopes that one day we might get to it (not likely as my less math inclined students need extra practice and my science minded son needs as much math as possible). Here's a little more information: http://dimacs.rutgers.edu/Volumes/schools/paper82/node3.html

Just something off the beaten path that you might like to explore. It looks fascinating to me.

... acceptable fourth year math then consists of what options?

Pre-calc, Calc and Statistics?

Yes, those three would be standard choices for post-Algebra 2.

My daughter took College Algebra and Trig (the two are equivalent to Pre-Calculus) in 11th grade and then went on to take AP Statistics through PA Homeschoolers in 12th grade. (The prerequisite for that AP course was Algebra 2.)

Regards,

Kareni