Menu

Do you sell something?

I don't know if this thread is going to be allowed... sorry if it crosses board lines...

BUT, I've almost always been the type to want to support small businesses. Occasionally I see references on here to posters who make and sell (or just sell) something (not meaning curricula like on the For Sale board) - or their family does. Can we have one thread where people can post what they do/make (or immediate family) so if people like me WANT to we can check them out? I'm mainly thinking Christmas and birthdays, but I'm curious overall. I'd love it if this thread is allowed. Anyone not liking it could skip it.

We, ourselves, don't do much since hubby's a Civil Engineer and I work in our local high school subbing. On the side, we raise and sell ponies, but I can't exactly box those up and mail them anywhere. ;) Middle son does some local and Skype tutoring at $10/hour. Since he's off to college in another month, that will switch to all Skype soon.

Anyone care to let the Hive in on what they do for entrepreneurship? Feel free to list even if what you sell isn't boxable (like our ponies!).

My oldest sells dairy goats and goat milk soap.

She has been building up a herd of dairy cows for families who want their own milk, but none of those are for sale yet. She will only sell them after they are trained to behave during milking.

She also has an order to train a goat to pull like the one she is training for herself now.

She also has a lamb that she needs to go to Dallas and shear. She spins at farmers markets every weekend, where she also sells yarn.

We are getting ready for our big 8 week festival where she does milking and spinning demonstrations, as well as selling soap, scrubs and whipped Shea butter.

She has been asked to travel to Arizona and Colorado For 8 weeks each doing demonstrations and having a booth, but we have not quite figured out the logistics of making those work.

Her website is dancingdogdairy.com

It has a lot of good information about goats on it.

She posts daily photos on her Dancing Dog Dairy Facebook page.

Oh, I almost forgot. She is writing and illustrating a children's book about a day on the farm, and each year, will add another book about a different aspect of sustainable farming such as fiber, dairy, composting and gardening.....

Gee, no wonder she does not have time to clean her room.

I am starting to sell watercolour paintings and cards of those paintings.

(As many of you probably know by now, "when I grow up" I want to be an artist. "Grown up" has now, more or less, arrived - we have one more year of homeschooling, during which my son will be taking most of his classes at the community college.)

My youngest makes models to sell, sometimes, usually elaborate cardboard constructs.

Nan

Fun thread; I definitely would love to be able to support small businesses!

We sell jalapeno jelly, and also have a separate laser tag rental business.

(The laser tag normally needs to be reserved about four months in advance, as we do not have enough equipment to meet the demand! We've been attempting to obtain more equipment, but the durable models are no longer manufactured, which makes them very hard to find!)

I make headcoverings. I don't sell them, but I give them away. If any Christian lady wants to start covering and needs a headcovering, just pm me. I'd be happy to send you one.

Also, I was just talking with my dh about setting up an Etsy shop to sell handmade baby bibs and burp cloths.

I love to sew. :)

Great thread!

I would LIKE to make nature bags by using the top part of pants/shorts with pockets. I made one for dd and think it'd be a fun online business. My idea is to also sell field guides, colored pencils, and small notebooks to go with them.

But I'm not there yet. :D

I'm a seamstress. I do alterations for people locally. I also make headcoverings, dresses, skirts, slips, baptismal gowns, baptismal robes. I've also done diapers, slings, diaperbags, etc. Basically, if it takes a sewing machine, it's up my alley.

I have an Etsy shop, but I've had enough custom and local orders that I haven't put anything in the shop yet.

Mommaduck's Boutique

Edited by mommaduck

I breed Heritage Breed chickens and sell them at Point of Lay - my business name is The Happy Hen. I don't have a website yet, but hopefully later.

I am also a registered breeder of Rhodesian Ridgeback dogs under the prefix Sarova.

I also am training to practice Bowen Therapy - a type of remedial massage/bodywork. I have 2 more months of doing case studies before I can complete my course and be qualified. So all my clients get freebies for now, which is mutually beneficial!

http://www.sixacresoaps.com

I sell handmade soaps made from vegetable oils (olive, coconut, and palm). I usually have at least a dozen different scents available at any given time. Current Products:

SOAP: Almond Amaretto, Blueberry, Cassia & Cinnamon, Citrus, Coconut, Coffee & Cream, Cucumber Melon, Frankincense & Myrrh, Gardenia, Georgia Peach, Grape Soda, Hot Buttered Rum, Lavender Blue, Lemon Twist, Peppermint Cocoa, Pesto Poppyseed, Strawberry, Vanilla.

LINEN SPRAY: Eucalyptus & Peppermint, Gardenia, Lavender, Lemon Zest, Sweet Orange (and I take requests, if there's a particular scent you like).

BATH FIZZERS: Apple Pomegranate, Black Raspberry Vanilla, Fresh Water, Grape, Lemon, Strawberry

my dh is a college professor and he and another professor teach a couple of their courses on cds for homeschool high schoolers.

oh and my dd used to make greeting cards when she was about 10 or 11, made a decent amount of money. Since 11, she has made and decorated cakes for birthdays, baby showers, holidays, etc. She only does this for our very large extended family and does not charge them. This often counts as our gift for the occasion.

my sil designs and makes wedding garters and hair fancies for little girls. She sells completly online, she is very talented and makes a ton of money but her and her dh have to work constantly at least 8 hours a day to meet the demand. Wish I was that talented, but alas I am not.

Edited by Jeannie in NJ

After a science project where my son collected the elements on the periodic table, my husband (who's an artist with a flair for science) started experimenting with element 83 (bismuth). We now have a shop on Etsy selling the jewelry and free standing crystal sculptures we create from the bismuth clusters he grows. Each is one of a kind and uniquely named. I've pasted a few of the pieces below so you can get an idea of how they look. From left to right, Pools of Summer, Raphael's Angel Feather, Green and Gold Reflections, The Emerald City, and Tibetan Sound (diamagnetic permanent levitation between two bismuth crystals -check it out in action on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRSgFvGXPYk!) Our store's name on Etsy is Element 83. Thanks for this thread! :001_smile:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/Element83

post-9416-13535087117632_thumb.jpg

post-9416-13535087117747_thumb.jpg

post-9416-13535087117833_thumb.jpg

post-9416-1353508711792_thumb.jpg

post-9416-13535087118117_thumb.jpg

post-9416-13535087117632_thumb.jpg

post-9416-13535087117747_thumb.jpg

post-9416-13535087117833_thumb.jpg

post-9416-1353508711792_thumb.jpg

post-9416-13535087118117_thumb.jpg

After a science project where my son collected the elements on the periodic table, my husband (who's an artist with a flair for science) started experimenting with element 83 (bismuth). We now have a shop on Etsy selling the jewelry and free standing crystal sculptures we create from the bismuth clusters he grows. Each is one of a kind and uniquely named. I've pasted a few of the pieces below so you can get an idea of how they look. From left to right, Pools of Summer, Raphael's Angel Feather, Green and Gold Reflections, The Emerald City, and Tibetan Sound (diamagnetic permanent levitation between two bismuth crystals -check it out in action on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRSgFvGXPYk!) Our store's name on Etsy is Element 83. Thanks for this thread! :001_smile:

Totally cool! Can't wait to show the boys the pics. They will love this!

Wow!

I would like to pre-order a copy of this book. It sounds GREAT!!!

Oh, I almost forgot. She is writing and illustrating a children's book about a day on the farm, and each year, will add another book about a different aspect of sustainable farming such as fiber, dairy, composting and gardening.....

It would be fun if some how this could be a permanent fixture of the HIVE!!

I am trying to keep track of all the fun businesses & products....

Maybe there is a way to keep this thread ....revolving & edited...but, always a resource for fellow HIVERS!!;)

Any ideas?:D

It would be fun if some how this could be a permanent fixture of the HIVE!!

I am trying to keep track of all the fun businesses & products....

Maybe there is a way to keep this thread ....revolving & edited...but, always a resource for fellow HIVERS!!;)

Any ideas?:D

I still think a document of some kind (or even a post that could be updated when someone asks to be added) would be ideal. We could sort it by item type and have contact info/way to purchase listed next to it.

I am thoroughly enjoying reading - and have ideas in mind to check out for Christmas this year (if not sooner)! Some of you who say they're in the process need to get more in the process (esp the Children's book - I have young relatives who are harder to buy for)!

I want to try to buy all (or at least mostly) small business stuff this year for presents. Mass marketing of imported "stuff" is simply less appealing to me, but I probably will still be buying books for a couple of people - I can't stop buying books.

I sell cut flower bouquets to our food co-op. I also have done flowers for weddings. Since I only use my field grown flowers, the arrangements are on the casual side. We do not have much growing space and I am hoping to find land for growing more varieties.

Oooo, I love seeing what people make and sell! I read the board rules, and I don't think a thread like this goes against the rules...

In the past, I've crocheted and sold cotton hats; some with attached flowers, some with detachable flowers, and some with beads crocheted in. I've also made and sold simple woven bead ornaments.

I don't have an online shop, but lately I have been thinking of building up some inventory to create one with. I've been investigating Etsy, icraft, and some other sites (any input on that, anyone?). I also discovered a local collective, that gets "mompreneurs" together for craft fairs and encouragement in entrepreneurship. They just started a few months ago, and apparently had a very vibrant, successful fair in June.

What I'd like to make and sell are the following items, made from recycled or natural materials (paper, cotton, silk, etc.):

- sewn tote bags, embellished in all sorts of ways (embroidery, sequins, patchwork, beads, ribbon, etc. etc.)

- sewn purses/cross-body bags, embellished in all sorts of ways...

- crocheted hats, embellished...

- handmade cards (and envelopes), blank (no words), embellished...

I've recently decided that I really love sewing, crocheting, knitting, and working with paper; and embellishing anything I create in a variety of ways and with a variety of techniques. I also love using scraps or inexpensive materials (for example, from thrift stores, I buy cotton sheets to use for sewing projects) to create. This way I have a bigger variety of materials to create with, for a small outlay of money. It challenges my creativity in a good way!

I'll return later - if the thread is still going (as in, the mods don't mind), I'll post some pictures of what I've made in the past.

Edited by Colleen in NS

My dh makes wood products -- mostly shelves and child's seats. He does all of the art work and wood work. His store is called Little Monkey Woodshop. He's got several new things to be listed soon and he's constantly trying to come up with new ideas.

Here is now our newly updated etsy shop

http://www.etsy.com/shop/LittleMonkeyWoodshop

Thanks for looking.

I sell my time. In the summers I babysit kids that are out of school for the summer, preferably kids that only need to be watched once or twice a week. But I would consider one full time during the summer months for kids that go to P.S. during the year.

I also babysit occasionally for special occasions (nights out, conventions, etc.)

This year I will be keeping 1 child half of the week during school time, and will incorporate her into our school time. I would consider doing this with up to 1 more, especially if the child fit closely into one of the age groups I am already schooling.

I think an ideal situation would be a homeschooling parent that works part time and needs someone to watch their child once or twice a week and is accustomed to homeschooling or preschoolers or babies. It is hard for a P.S. student to come over on a school day and have to "do school" all day with us. Though when this does happen, I try to incorporate them into the day with the fun subjects and read alouds and games for math that day.

I hate to put where I am, but if you are needing some babysitting time with other kids from a hsing mom, PM me and I will tell you where I am!!

I sell cupcakes locally out of my home! My blog with the bakery info. is in my signature line.

I make paper crafts such as cards, gift card holders, gift tags, party favor containers, etc. I sell them at craft fairs. My biggest sellers are the mini-purses.

ETA: I don't have a website for this, so I just uploaded some photos.

These. are. gorgeous, ladies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am starting to sell watercolour paintings and cards of those paintings.

(As many of you probably know by now, "when I grow up" I want to be an artist. "Grown up" has now, more or less, arrived - we have one more year of homeschooling, during which my son will be taking most of his classes at the community college.)

My youngest makes models to sell, sometimes, usually elaborate cardboard constructs.

Nan

Oh, Nan! Congratulations!!!!!!!!!! Have you actually sold anything yet?? I do remember when you started talking about learning painting - way to go! I would love to see some photos....

My mother and I are starting up a children's clothing line with a special occassion adult items (i.e. matching pjs for the whole family like for christmas). Hopefully, we'll have our website/online stores set up in a couple of weeks. Working away right now on inventory and some graphics.

Also, help my husband in his home maintenance business and window film business.

Would love for this thread to continue. I love supporting small businesses as that is how our family survives through our small businesses.

I like to sew and just made my first ragdoll. I got a request from my sister in law and thought I'd give it a whirl. I enjoyed making it and the clothes. I thought about selling them but not sure if people would be interested.

I can email a picture not sure how to post one.

Love the idea of this thread.

Wow, there are some talented ladies on this board! I've really enjoyed looking at some of these items. I'm not crafty at all!

We own a remodeling company. The past three years have been really difficult because of the economy. Not much anyone here could do to help. :(

Dh has flirted several times in the past with the idea of making furniture. I think I'll show him the Etsy site! Maybe it will spark his imagination.

Edited by Heather in WI

My dh owns his own business designing and building engineered roof trusses. They also build wooden pallets for a local manufacturer.

The construction/building market is very sluggish around here right now (and has been for a while) so things have been pretty slow but he really loves what he does and is really good at it, if I do say so myself. I hope things pick up.