Menu

Do you think I need anything else?

bnwhitaker

Is this complete for teaching reading, phonics, grammar, spelling?

Absolutely. The ETC may even be redundant if AAS is used to teach reading. (I didn't use this route but I have read that people do.)

How about handwriting instruction?

It depends on the age of your student and where they are at. Are they already reading? If so, I think ETC and AAS are sufficient for phonics. If not, they might need something like Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading. Also depending on the age, you might want something for writing. You could use Writing With Ease, or even just do copy work and dictation.

thanks for the replys. They are 7 1/2 & 8 1/2. We have actaully done 1st grade rod & staff but they are not reading well. My 7 1/2 reads better than my 8 1/2. My 8 1/2 told me he hates reading (I didnt realize how much) and when I woke up I realized we had struggled through it all year. He hates sounding out so he guesses most of the time. So I thought I should take a different route to inspire them again and get them reading well. Phonics are also weak in my opinion so I did want work on that but from what I seem to be reading AAS & ETC should be enough to refresh and memorize them??? Maybe play phonics games. I was thinking the farm stickers & games from PAL?

I have also thought of adding the whole PAL because it does have writing, phonics and also at the beginning she works on letters and someone said it helped there children's print to look better and it wouldnt hurt to clean that up either. They are good at "handwriting" the subject but you should see their workbooks. The letters are just all over the place and sloppy. When I tell them to slow down and try they do well but it does take a long time.