Menu

Opinions please! 3rd Lang Arts ques.

Guest loishawn

Rod & Staff vs Bob Jones 3rd grade LA  

1. 1. Rod & Staff vs Bob Jones 3rd grade LA

Guest loishawn

Hello fellow Homeschoolers

Im new here and Im trying to decide which language arts to go with for my 3rd grade son. I used FLL last year but I think I want to try something else this year.

I'm thinking about Rod &Staff b/c of the diagraming and the solid grammar teaching. Also b/c Susan Wise Bauer recommends it.

But I've looked at Bob Jones and it just looks more fun. I'm just worried that it's not as good about getting the basics nailed down. I really don't have any reason to think that I just don't have anyone around me that has used it.

Ok, so, Rod and Staff vs. Bob Jones....

Does anyone have an opinion???

• 2 weeks later...

For my third grader we are using a combination for language arts. We are using IEW for writing and KISS grammar with IEW Fix-it for editing practice. We tried rod and staff for 2 years, but the sentences were too predictable and dry for my ds. I don't know anything about Bob Jones.

For my third grader we are using a combination for language arts. We are using IEW for writing and KISS grammar with IEW Fix-it for editing practice. We tried rod and staff for 2 years, but the sentences were too predictable and dry for my ds. I don't know anything about Bob Jones.

We're doing this, minus the Fix-It. We used FLL3 last year (and that level is much better than 2, btw).

I don't think what we use is what you are looking for but I am using Easy Grammar with my up and coming 3rd grader. We tried R&S last year and it was BEYOND boring. I did like how colorful BJU was but we just weren't looking for something that in depth yet. Easy Grammar is slow and not as rigorous as the ones you listed but we like the slow and steady approach in this case.

I am also switching to R&S after using FLL for first and second. I just wanted to incorporate more writing and R&S seemed to have that and also seemed solid. I like the repetition of the definition of FLL and I plan to incorporate that in if R&S does not do that. I hope R & S is not too dry I also added in GWG last year with FLL but I just found a workbook called Core Skills Language Arts and it seems to have just as much at a better price so I am considering adding that in, dd likes workbooks.

You can't go wrong with either BJUP or R&S. :-)

Of those two, I prefer R&S, but only slightly, partly because it's a textbook, and I think that it's helpful for children to have to write on actual paper rather workbook pages. Also, BJUP's grammar terminology and methodology is a little weird. I cannot give you examples because it's been a coon's age since I reviewed BJUP, but I know that was one of the reasons I didn't choose it.

YMMV. :)

I voted "other," though, because if *I* had an 8yo again, I'd do Writing Strands Level 3, and if I felt like I had to do grammar, I'd do Easy Grammar.