Menu

Dallas folks! Legoland and the aquarium?

Is there anything I need to know about going to these places? Ds almost 7 wants to go for his birthday. I need to go up and look at horse anyway, so we thought we would make a minitrip. Any suggestions? Ideas? Fun places to eat right around there?

Thanks! :D

Great Wolf Lodge is just down the road, as is the Gaylord.

Bass Pro Shop is across the street.

Restaurants? Hm. Can't think of any standouts in that area. I would probably hit Main Street in Grapevine.

If you like tea (the real thing) or are into British stuff, the British import store is a lovely place to shop.

We paid a bit extra for a behind-the-scenes tour at the aquarium and thought that made the trip. Otherwise, it is a bit pricey.

We were horribly disappointed in Legoland, sorry to say.

I think the Dallas World Aquarium is also pretty over-priced. Call ahead, if you can, to pick a day that does not have a million field trips scheduled at the same time you will be there. The walkway is narrow, and if you are there with more than one field trip, it gets hard to see or hear anything. Learned that one the hard way.

If you come anywhere near Fort Worth or Arlington and want to meet up, let me know!

I think the Dallas World Aquarium is also pretty over-priced. Call ahead, if you can, to pick a day that does not have a million field trips scheduled at the same time you will be there. The walkway is narrow, and if you are there with more than one field trip, it gets hard to see or hear anything. Learned that one the hard way.

If you come anywhere near Fort Worth or Arlington and want to meet up, let me know!

I think the OP is talking about the aquarium in Grapevine Mills Mall just across from LEGOland. I have honestly never been to the one in Grapevine, and I live just a few blocks from it, but I have heard that the one in Dallas, which Asenik is talking about, is much better. They are both in Grapevine Mills Mall, so be prepared for dealing with outlet mall crowds, parking, etc. If you buy LEGOland tickets online, they are a bit cheaper than on-site and you can reserve your entrance time.

We had DD's birthday party at LEGOland and I was really underwhelmed. I thought it would be much better, and I am a huge LEGO fan, as are all my kids. I was disappointed. The best part is the huge diorama, but part of what made that cool is really knowing the area and seeing familiar sites in LEGO miniature. That alone was not worth the price, though.

Main Street in Grapevine does have some fun shops but very few would interest kids. If you do venture downtown, Cassie's Frozen yogurt (on Main near College) is a good stop for refreshments! Not sure what kind of restuarants you are looking for (upscale celebration, soemthing off beat, or burger joint??) Eatzi's just opened at the corner of Hwy 114 and William D. Tate. DS loves burritos at Freebirds on William D. Tate. Great burgers at Kincaid's just off 114. We have a Japanese hibachi restaurant I always enjoy and a Brazilian steakhouse. Rainforest Cafe is in the mall; not great food but fun atmosphere for the kids. Oh, and there is a good little catfish place on Main Street near the train depot. HTH!!

We enjoyed the aquarium, but we got group discount tickets with a homeschool group--there's no way I would have been happy paying full price for what we got. It just wasn't worth it, IMO. It was short--it took less than two hours to go through the whole thing. It was well done and very nice, but a 2 hour visit that costs *more* than an all-day visit to the zoo or the science and history musem in Fort Worth (for at-the-door prices, but even the online discount price is the same as a zoo ticket)? The online discount price is better, but I'm still not sure it's worth what you get. If possible, I'd try to go to the Dallas World Aquarium instead.

We haven't gone to Legoland yet, but again, from what I've seen and heard, it's not worth what they're asking for regular price. If we can get a discount, we may check it out, but not otherwise.

We've been to both Legoland and to the Aquarium. Like others, I thought it was overpriced. And I got a 20% off the price through an employer discount.

I'd say take him to the Dallas aquarium, or to the Fort Worth Zoo. Much better value for your money, and a better experience.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

Eatzi's just opened at the corner of Hwy 114 and William D. Tate.
No way!

How did I miss that bit of news?!

Now I know what I'm doing about supper...

We have a Japanese hibachi restaurant I always enjoy
Name, please. Thanks.

The Japanese hibachi place we always went to was just razed... for an Aldi's. :glare:

Awww, that would be fun, but this time is such a whirlwind and I still have no idea where we will actually end up. :001_smile:

Thanks everyone! Since I have already been to legoland in Fl, I figured I would be underwhelmed....but he is 7 and I think will enjoy it!

I appreciate all the recs. We used to live in Dallas about 12 years ago, so I am somewhat familiar with the area, but it definitely looks like it has grown!:D