Menu

Tour de France 2012

Who's watching this year? We had a thread last year, but I haven't seen one this year. I am in withdrawal since it's rest day.

Who are your faves this year?

What do you think about results thus far?

Personally, I am really upset about the bad luck that Garmin has been having. Why do they have to be the ones destroyed by all the crashes? I was really hoping for Hesjedal to have a run at the yellow jersey this year. And poor Tyler. I hope he gets a chance to win a later sprint.

It's fun to watch Sagan on those sprints - especially when he beats Cavendish. Which reminds me that second Greipel win was great!

I'm also hoping for Tejay Vangarderen to get that white jersey.

DS is recording and watching all of the coverage. I am so thankful today is a rest day, as he needs to get caught up. (We are a day behind.)

I have always been mildly interested and followed along a bit. (DH and I were long-distance bikers pre-child.) But DS has really gotten bit by the Tour de France bug and is watching it on television and on-line. DH and I were just saying last night that we have watched more coverage this year than all the other years combined. We are enjoying it, though we are on media-overload right now.

DS was rooting for Garmin, but they have been in a lot of crashes. :glare:

DS found it amusing the other day - one of the riders was holding on to a support car and telling the guy, "My knee hurts." The guy in the support car was like, "Well, what do you want me to do about it?!" :lol:

Since this is our first year watching it extensively, I will say: I am shocked at how educational the coverage is! When they were cycling along the Normandy coast the other day, DS recognized the cliffs Monet painted. We pulled out our Monet book, just as the commentators said the name of the cliff which matched our art book. And we love the mention of the cathedrals and such. DS loves geography, so he has been in Map Heaven following along.

We have been devastated watching local news of Armstrong. (He is from this area.) Don't really know what to think of it. :confused:

Me! I'm watching. I watch more TV in July than I do the entire rest of the year combined. I should be cheering for Garmin, too, but I can't help but love Sky this year. Cavendish is just so cute and reminds me of Robbie McEwen. I'm an equal opportunity girl, though. I cheered just as hard for Madiot when Pinot won (minus the practically-falling-out-of-the-car routine).

A guy at my spinning class said that with all the crashes this year, Americans might just get interested in the TDF. It's like Nascar without the engines. :lol:

Me! I'm watching. I watch more TV in July than I do the entire rest of the year combined. I should be cheering for Garmin, too, but I can't help but love Sky this year. Cavendish is just so cute and reminds me of Robbie McEwen. I'm an equal opportunity girl, though. I cheered just as hard for Madiot when Pinot won (minus the practically-falling-out-of-the-car routine).

A guy at my spinning class said that with all the crashes this year, Americans might just get interested in the TDF. It's like Nascar without the engines. :lol:

I was screaming for Pinot too. I cheer for all the underdogs. Cavendish - I just can't. I think I prefer anyone win but him. I'm not a huge Wiggins fan either. I have been impressed with Froome and I love Boassen-Hagen, but that's it for me with Sky.

Sure. Play the photo-with-a-baby card. ;)

Yay for Millar today. :D

And how about Goss switching lanes? Do you think it was intentional? Sagan sure did. Intentional or not, it was dangerous, and I think the final decision was a good one. But I may be biased since I like Sagan.

And about Teejay - that was some class he showed going back for Evans yesterday. I'm sure it has to be hard to sacrifice personal opportunities for the sake of the team. I hope it's his turn to be the leader for the GC someday. Same for Froome. I know some thought he was trying to get a jump, but I don't think he realized he lost Wiggins because it happened so quickly. Both those guys deserve their own team someday.

Edited by Gailmegan

Sure. Play the photo-with-a-baby card. ;)

Yay for Millar today. :D

:iagree: I was so glad to see Garmin win. They've been through so much this Tour.

And how about Goss switching lanes? Do you think it was intentional? Sagan sure did. Intentional or not, it was dangerous, and I think the final decision was a good one. But I may be biased since I like Sagan.

Intentional. At first I thought it looked more like a drift, but then it looks like he looked under his shoulder and knew Sagan was there.

I guess Sagan is okay, but I sure was happy to see Griepel beat him today.

My man Cav just wasn't there. :glare: I heard he was doing a bit better on the climbs in prep for the Olympics, but I just don't see it.

And about Teejay - that was some class he showed going back for Evans yesterday. I'm sure it has to be hard to sacrifice personal opportunities for the sake of the team. I hope it's his turn to be the leader for the GC someday. Same for Froome. I know some thought he was trying to get a jump, but I don't think he realized he lost Wiggins because it happened so quickly. Both those guys deserve their own team someday.

Totally Yay for TVG! Do you follow the Velonews live streaming updates? It's an awesome feed. (I watch the Tour on my computer with the Velonews feed up in another window.) Marcel, his Dad, was on there posting. That was pretty neat to hear his thoughts on the Tour. I'm thinking it was just a bit of miscommunication on TVG's part. No slaying the Badger here. :tongue_smilie:

We're watching it. The crashes bring out the Mama in me. Did you hear about the girlfriends going at it via Twitter?

I heard about it, but only because I like to check Peta Todd's tweets. :001_huh: Did I just admit to that? :lol:

---

I really liked watching Wiggins leading out Boasson Hagen today! I'm already dreading the end of the Tour. I have to tell myself that the Olympics are right around the corner. Also, now that I know I can access EuroSport live, I'll have the opportunity to watch more races. Do you watch other races? My family all thinks I'm nuts for following the Tour; it's nice to have someone else with whom to chat!

:iagree: I was so glad to see Garmin win. They've been through so much this Tour.

Intentional. At first I thought it looked more like a drift, but then it looks like he looked under his shoulder and knew Sagan was there.

I guess Sagan is okay, but I sure was happy to see Griepel beat him today.

My man Cav just wasn't there. :glare: I heard he was doing a bit better on the climbs in prep for the Olympics, but I just don't see it.

Totally Yay for TVG! Do you follow the Velonews live streaming updates? It's an awesome feed. (I watch the Tour on my computer with the Velonews feed up in another window.) Marcel, his Dad, was on there posting. That was pretty neat to hear his thoughts on the Tour. I'm thinking it was just a bit of miscommunication on TVG's part. No slaying the Badger here. :tongue_smilie:

I heard about it, but only because I like to check Peta Todd's tweets. :001_huh: Did I just admit to that? :lol:

---

I really liked watching Wiggins leading out Boasson Hagen today! I'm already dreading the end of the Tour. I have to tell myself that the Olympics are right around the corner. Also, now that I know I can access EuroSport live, I'll have the opportunity to watch more races. Do you watch other races? My family all thinks I'm nuts for following the Tour; it's nice to have someone else with whom to chat!

I didn't know about Velonews. I will check it out. How do you access Eurosport Live? I'd love to watch other races too. I am glad the Olympics are this year - it will help with the withdrawal.

So, my boy TVG was really uncomfortable in the interview immediately after today's stage. I really would love to know more about how everything went down (like what was being said on the team radios, etc.) I need to check out the evening show to see if more info was ferreted out by the press.

I was totally impressed with Wiggins slowing everyone down so Evans could catch up. That showed a lot of class.

I didn't know about Velonews. I will check it out. How do you access Eurosport Live? I'd love to watch other races too. I am glad the Olympics are this year - it will help with the withdrawal.

So, my boy TVG was really uncomfortable in the interview immediately after today's stage. I really would love to know more about how everything went down (like what was being said on the team radios, etc.) I need to check out the evening show to see if more info was ferreted out by the press.

I was totally impressed with Wiggins slowing everyone down so Evans could catch up. That showed a lot of class.

I watch EuroSport here. It starts at 7:00 AM CST.

Yesterday was CRAZY! It was so nice to see Wiggins make that move - it's one of the reasons I'm drawn to the Tour. It's all about having the best tactics and being in great shape - and NOT winning because someone punctured a tire.

Today's sprints should be fun. Allez Cav!

ETA: Oh, just heard Chavanel abandoned - wonder what happened?

Has anyone heard more news about the tacks on the road today? I've been down with a migraine for a few days, so I wasn't able to watch the last two stages.

The TDF police have called in the French police. Kiserlovski had to abandoned due to a crash regarding the tacks. He broke his collarbone. :(

]Personally, I am really upset about the bad luck that Garmin has been having. Why do they have to be the ones destroyed by all the crashes?

I'm here!

I wondered if there was a 2012 thread and I'd missed it! My tour pretty much ended when Ryder withdrew, since I'm a Garmin fan. Those Cervelo P5s make me drool...

I'm looking forward to the Olympics now.

I'm betting on Wiggins as overall winner, and Sky is really cohesive this year, apart from that little dustup with Frome. They've been fun to watch. Cadel Evans isn't in top form, but we'll see, especially considering he won on the last stage last year.

The TDF police have called in the French police. Kiserlovski had to abandoned due to a crash regarding the tacks. He broke his collarbone. :(

It was sad. Kiserlovski stopped to help a teammate who had a flat, but Leipheimer was on his wheel and didn't realize Kiserlovski was stopping, so they crashed. Leipheimer felt really bad about it.

The tack puncture count as of this morning was 48 riders, 3 out of the 5 TV motorcycles and a handful of team cars (that number wasn't reported AFAIK).

Who saw today's stage? I'm glad Garmin got two in the top eight today! And it was nice to see Tyler in that sprint finish. It was beginning to seem like the commentators had written him off, but I think they will have to keep an eye on him in those two remaining sprints.

ETA: Oh, just heard Chavanel abandoned - wonder what happened?

Chavanel has been sick for several days and finally gave up today since he wasn't getting any better despite being on antibiotics and he wants to be sure to be in shape for the Olympic games (I watch the tour on French TV so they talked about him a lot).

Chavanel has been sick for several days and finally gave up today since he wasn't getting any better despite being on antibiotics and he wants to be sure to be in shape for the Olympic games (I watch the tour on French TV so they talked about him a lot).

How fun to watch on French TV! The French are doing well this year. I like Chavanel.

Anyone else disappointed in Frank Schleck? It's taken a while for me to be able to process my reaction to the doping news this evening. He hasn't Tweeted in three days.

I'm actually getting up at the start of the Tour tomorrow to find out what Bobka has to say about it all, or at least Phil and Paul.

I haven't heard anything about the B sample yet.

No one posting here because there's not much to say? Dh and I were just saying how boring it has been this year (at least as far as the actual race is concerned). Does everyone just want to hand the thing to Wiggo? Is Sky really that formidable? Somebody do something interesting, please! *yawn* hehe

I thought Cav was spectacular today. :D

The green, white, and polka dot jerseys were the races to watch this year.

I think Sky really is just that strong. So many people were saying that Froome should have been the GC contender. Plus, they managed to not get hurt on the crashes.

And since I mentioned Robbie McEwen last week, I thought I should give an update on him. He was handing out musettes yesterday.

McEwenfeedsTDF16_712-027-552x421.jpg

Dh and I were just saying how boring it has been this year

This year I have been getting up early to watch it and promptly fall asleep after it's done! Things have been a bit off with Wiggins taking the Yellow Jersey so early and keeping it IMO. Mom and I were talking this morning, after the end of today's stage, about how the Tour is all done now. Wiggins will win the time trial tomorrow and that's that. Kinda sad.