Menu

If you don't use TV for your preschooler during school time

I was never able to use TV with my youngest b/c the older kids get too distracted. Instead I used lots of open ended, Montessori based activities. One of the better sites I found for ideaS was a blog called Counting Coconuts.

Edited by BLA5
Pesky little typo

I have caved and hired a mother's helper for 2 mornings a week plus one full day for this coming year. I think it's going to be wonderful. It was going to just be 3 mornings, but my older two said it wasn't fair they wouldn't get a chance to play with her, so that's why she'll be here one full day.

DD2 and DD3 played together most of last year. Next year dd1 starts some K work but realistically that doesn't take much time, an hour or less broken up through the day. She like to color so she will be doing that while dd1 is doing writing. I have some puzzles and other things; lacing cards, puzzles, counting bears, blocks, looking at books etc.

Mine goes on poissonrouge or starfall if I need a short amount of time. If I need a longer amount of time, I can give him our itouch with a ton of educational apps and wifi disabled - that will keep him occupied for hours if need be.

Yeah, we rely on much too much technology in this house :)

note: on poissonrouge, be sure to keep within view of the screen or check in every 5-10 min or so, my kid has managed to navigate to paypal and other sites (that we don't approve of) from their site.

Add headphones, if older children will get distracted.

We don't have a TV. I've sort of incorporated Digby into our schooling routine. He's allowed to come and go as he pleases; he's still in the same room as us, but I don't force him to sit and "do school." Here's a post I did about things to keep toddlers occupied. http://www.latter-dayhomeschooling.com/2012/03/keeping-toddlers-occupied.html\

Although we don't have a TV, I have been giving him my phone to play with during Pigby's math time. He was just way too distracted with Digby throwing the MUS blocks, jumping on the table, etc to get anything done.

That's when I used to break out the bin of craft stuff OR The Bean/Rice Box.

Craft stuff: Glue sticks, paper and paper punch-outs (already punched), bits of ribbon, markers or crayons,stickers, foamies, etc.

Bean or Rice Box: (Not for under 3 or any kid who likes to stick everything in his/her mouth!) Under the bed storage bin filled with beans and/or rice along with spoons, measuring cups and all kinds of containers, a few sand toys that the beans and rice can fit through, and put it down on an old sheet or a linoleum or wood floor for easy cleanup. This saved my sanity.

We also put in fun music in another room that wouldn't bother us and let the preschooler bat balloons around or play with toys, etc.

This is going to be a helpful thread for me. I plan to homeschool my 6yo this year and have a not-yet-2yo in the mix as well. I know he'll want to be glued to my hip, so I plan to offer a lot of "learning" projects at the same time. Crafts, puzzles, games, play kitchen, peg people, etc. I **HOPING** this will work ;)