Menu

Preparing for a trip to France...

LoveBaby

My daughter and I have 8 months until we leave for our trip of a lifetime to Paris.

What resources, books, history, art topics etc., should we explore?

I have her signed up for Mango Languages through the library. I have her studying some artists that I know she will encounter in the various museums, but what else? What would you do to prepare for a trip like this?!

I want her to have some background meaning behind many of the things she will see and experience while we are there.

Thanks!

What about watching some period pieces? Then you can have some background on the places and palaces!

This book is awesome- http://www.amazon.com/Frommers-24-Great-Walks-Paris/dp/0470228970/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1341898063&sr=8-2&keywords=best%20walks%20in%20paris&tag=vglnk-c679-20

The best walks series are the BEST travel books, we did as many of these as we could!!! Its the only travel book that I really wanted to keep on me at all times, because it was that useful to know the best route from place A to B, to see awesome things along the way.

How much time do you have? Keep in mind that most of the museums and attractions are closed every sunday, monday or tuesday- it takes some planning to make sure you can get everything in order.

I don't know if it will be fixed by then, but the elevators in the Eiffel tower were down, so they only had one running this spring (we went twice, and are going back this fall) so the wait, even with tickets was hours. Buy your tickets ASAP. If possible, check the sunset calendar and get them at sunset, so you can see it both by day and by night.

Do NOT miss the catacombs!

OOO- And go on one of these boat tours- we have done it for dinner and during the day, they are worth EVERY penny, especially the dinner tour. http://www.bateauxmouches.com/

Get a museum pass, and a metro pass.... you'll want them!

Gosh, I have a million more things to say, pm me if you have any questions.... Paris has been one of my favorite places to visit, we just keep going back! (It's only 4.5 hours from us!)

Which I know is not what you asked about LOL, but I got excited!

So for your question- watch Marie Antoinette, Les Mis (if she is too young to read it) and other movies like that, practice french, especially the phrases "Please, thank you, one like this (LOL to get pastries!), where is...." we got the most use out of saying "I speak a little french, but I understand more than I speak!" and "I understand" LOL.

I've been to Paris 3-4 times now... always something more to see!

You are definitely on the right track to study up on the art before you go. When you do the Louvre, focus on the French and Italian renaissance works- they are stunning, and they should be seen on their own, rather than as just a brief part of a whirlwind 5 hour expedition to the Louvre! Study French art history beforehand, as they are more meaningful in context.

We loved the Rodin museum. It is an outdoor park (there is also a small house with more art inside), so it's a change from the indoor museums, and Rodin's work is really interesting.

Study French history, then go to Versailles, as well as Napoleon's quarters in the Louvre, and l'Arc de Triomphe (take stairs to top for the best view of Paris). Also Notre Dame!

Basically, I'd say raed about French history and French art history. Many guide books have an abbreviated history chapter in the front that might give some ideas.

The hop-on-hop-off boat tours someone mentioned are great.

Don't try to cram too much in. You can never see it all, it's best to see a handful of things and really visit them in-depth so you undersatnd their signficance, rather than just trying to check off every major attraction the city has to offer.

Don't forget to add some Reformation history into your studies. The Greenleaf Press book, River of Grace, is a great story about John Calvin for children. It mentions the Latin Quarter in Paris and the Sorbonne University where he studied.

I am most thankful for our study of french prior to our trip to Paris even though it wasn't necessarily important for the sake of communication.:)

Just knowing Parisian landmarks will add to her excitement and engagement in the city (like the Notre Dame, Sacre Coeur, and Louvre -- a little history now will go a long way then).

Edited by Dassah

I am on my way out the door, so will post more later but wanted to comment on this:

I don't know if it will be fixed by then, but the elevators in the Eiffel tower were down, so they only had one running this spring (we went twice, and are going back this fall) so the wait, even with tickets was hours. Buy your tickets ASAP. If possible, check the sunset calendar and get them at sunset, so you can see it both by day and by night.

You can actually save a lot of time and a bit of money by walking up the stairs, then taking the elevator from the second platform to the top.

Yeah. It sounds crazy and it looks intimidating. But it really wasn't that bad. I mean, you are going to be walking a ton in Paris anyway so what are a few (more) stairs?!

We used:

First Start French by Memoria Press (Gave DS and I a good foundation, plus it talked quite a bit about the culture/etiquette in France.)

Evan-Moor: Europe

A Child’s History of Art: Architecture by Hillyer (This was actually planned for an architecture study, but I was amazed at how many French structures/buildings were discussed. A lovely book to read before our trip!)

Otherwise, we just studied a lot of French art and history...

We brought back a suitcase full of books, which I am using in our school this year.

One of the books I bought was "Objective Louvre," which is meant to be used as a guide at the museum. I had bought a general Louvre book before our trip and we studied/read it, but we used the Objective Louvre as a review, post-trip, along with our pictures and the general Louvre book.

I just bought the Louvre DVDs from The Teaching Company and we will view those this fall.

DS had his own camera, which I highly recommend!

Also, we bought books (through Amazon) on the Louvre and Orsay before we went, so we could narrow down our focus and make the most of our time. I don't know if that helped or not, though... (And we never could time it to go to the Orsay. :glare: Guess we need to go back!)

We had time to do more but we went when there were a plethora of "Bank Holiday's". It was terrible, the Louvre was closed!! :glare:

There was a cheap French CD with a flip book we bought at Barnes and Nobles that contained multiple phrases like "Ou est la toilette" -- of course, I got it mixed up and asked "where the room with the bathtub" was. I even made the French laugh! :) Anyway, my point is getting a cheap French language set was very effective for our purposes (the kids did much better with retention than me!).

Edited by Dassah

Some non-academic things to do to get ready:

Get used to walking. A lot. Comfortable, yet somewhat dressy shoes (for all of you!) are key.

I don't know where you live or what your lifestyle is like,but you'll probably want to find clothes to bring that are somewhat more dressy than your typical American wears, yet travel well.