Menu

Remember the thread about summer viruses? DD has pneumonia:(

My 9yo's cough got progressively worse this weekend. Apparently the medical community suspects that a particular bacteria (I can't remember which) is going around, and several kids have been diagnosed around town. When dd went for X-rays, another child was there for the same reason (our DD's wearing masks sparked the conversation with the other mom). So DD, my most challenging, medically, got a breathing treatment, two shots, and prescriptions for antibiotics and an inhaler. The pharmacy filled the antibiotics, but wanted to verify the dosage for the inhaler, so we will get that tomorrow. This really stinks. DD is the worst patient ever, and she always seems to be the one who gets really sick or hurt.

Which antibiotics did they prescribe?

Two of my kids had pneumonia last month and were hospitalized on oxygen for days. The little one was on augmentin. The 9 y.o. was on augmentin, but after two days they added zithromax (z-pack). I had this lovely illness as well, and my doc gave me zithromax. I coughed for about a month and can still feel small pieces of gunk in there once in a while when I breathe deeply. The docs did not really seem to have a handle on what it was. (FWIW, we preferred albuterol via the nebulizer rather than the inhaler much of the time; I think the moisture helped, though it was very dry here at the time)

Hope your dd gets well soon!!

Omnicef, which I've never heard of and Zithromax (generic). Dr. said that the Z-pack was for the specific strain that they think has been going around, and the Omnicef was for the other strains. She said that some of the kids who had been given one of the two had been coming back in worse because their antibiotics weren't working (wrong strain). I'm sorry for you and your poor kids. A hospital stay is very difficult, and something we hope to avoid. I wonder if I should ask for the nebulizer instead. Is that something I have to have prescribed in addition to the medication that goes in the nebulizer, or can I buy one myself?

Omnicef, which I've never heard of and Zithromax (generic). Dr. said that the Z-pack was for the specific strain that they think has been going around, and the Omnicef was for the other strains. She said that some of the kids who had been given one of the two had been coming back in worse because their antibiotics weren't working (wrong strain). I'm sorry for you and your poor kids. A hospital stay is very difficult, and something we hope to avoid. I wonder if I should ask for the nebulizer instead. Is that something I have to have prescribed in addition to the medication that goes in the nebulizer, or can I buy one myself?

In most states, you need a prescription for a nebulizer. In theory, the inhaler is supposed to be equivalent, but, as one of our respiratory therapists said, he's old school, and prefers the nebulizer in certain situations (such as in the ER, the first thing they did is back to back nebs, for each kid - second kid went in the night after the first one was discharged :glare:). FWIW, the two of mine who were hospitalized also have asthma. Another one, who does not have asthma, did not end up in the hospital, and got getter after he was about halfway done with his 10 days of amoxicillan.

I hadn't heard Omnicef used in a while (I remember them prescribing that for sinus infections in the kids a few years ago). The z-pack is for micoplasm (sp?) pneumonia, I think(?) and the other antibiotics for regular, traditional bacterial pneumonia. I think I should have gone in to my doc and gotten some more antibiotics :tongue_smilie:. Oh well, I'm mostly better now. I think...

Summer pneumonia must be a thing worldwide - DD has it here in Turkey (the microplasm kind). She's taking Klacid and a bronchodihilator (I'm sure I spelled that wrong). No beach or pool for three days. :( Now when you're on the Aegean coast, that's torture!! :glare:

I am so sorry --:grouphug:

i also had a thread going about a summer virus and after a week of running a fever and being tired/lethargic, i took dd13 to the doctor and she was also diagnosed with pneumonia -- doctor said it is going around.

She is on zithromax and is using an inhaler -- she began the zithromax on friday and yesterday (monday) she finally seemed to be improving.

:grouphug:

Summer pneumonia must be a thing worldwide - DD has it here in Turkey (the microplasm kind). She's taking Klacid and a bronchodihilator (I'm sure I spelled that wrong). No beach or pool for three days. :( Now when you're on the Aegean coast, that's torture!! :glare:

That is torture. We just have a barely used swimming pool. It's either raining or someone is sick. I hope you DD recovers and is able to enjoy the beach in record time. It's just wrong for this to be going around in summer.

I am so sorry --:grouphug:

i also had a thread going about a summer virus and after a week of running a fever and being tired/lethargic, i took dd13 to the doctor and she was also diagnosed with pneumonia -- doctor said it is going around.

She is on zithromax and is using an inhaler -- she began the zithromax on friday and yesterday (monday) she finally seemed to be improving.

:grouphug:

Were you the OP of the summer virus thread? :grouphug: to you and your DD. I wish her a speedy recovery. It was Friday evening that I suspected pneumonia, but DD didn't have the main three symptoms to warrant an ER visit. I should have listened to my gut and taken her in. She threw up her first dose of Zithromax last night. When the Dr. office called, I mentioned it, and they said it should have had time to get into her system. I hope they're right. How is your DD tolerating the Z-pack? Have you given her probiotics?

:grouphug: Ds had pneumonia, diagnosed the week of Memorial Day, and didn't get over it for a month or so. Hope your dd gets better very soon!

Wow, a month is a long time. Poor guy. When this same DD was 2, she got pneumonia. SHe was better in less than 48 hours, and I brought her into the Dr. office in worse condition than she was yesterday. I hope it's the same this time.

Ugh, I hope she feels better soon. I've had something for almost a week, it's just enough to keep me unproductive, but not in bed all the time.

I am so sorry. :grouphug:

Thanks for the well wishes. I hope you feel better.