Menu

Anyone use HST+ and Sonlight?

Samiam

I'm finally motivated to start doing some lesson plan loading into HST+.

I'm trying to figure out, if at all, to put in the Sonlight schedule.

On one hand, I want it to be all right there, viewable on one sheet, because I plan on correlating SOTW also with some BrainPop and Discovery Streaming intertwined with Sonlight. I'll take the time to look up correlating videos to the topics and then put them in the lesson plans so I don't forget. I've found a blog where someone already scheduled SOTW for me with CHOW. So I want to see all of that right next to the Sonlight assignments. I don't necessaril want to write on the actual IG though, because re-sale is always in the back of my mind, it's how I will afford to continue with Sonlight :).

That being said, the thought of re-entering Sonlight's schedule manually into HST+ seems well, redundant.

Anyone figured out a good way to do it (already looked in all the HST yahoo groups for a schedule and there's none for Sonlight).

Or perhaps you've figured out a good way to add in all the extras like I want to do, onto the Sonlight schedule without marking it up?

Help! Making myself crazy!!

I use both... I did enter in Core D, but I don't know yet whether I'll go off that or just enter "Day 1, Day 2, etc." next time. :tongue_smilie:

You won't find schedules posted because that would majorly violate copyright. So if you want it completely entered in, you gotta do it yourself.

Sorry I'm not much help... I'm still figuring out the best way to do stuff this year. I will likely use the SL IG pages themselves for checking those off. I plan to make copies of them so I can reuse them.

Thinking about it now, and I think that is what I might do, just do the Week One Day One, Week One Day Two into HST+....and in that put my SOTW and other self-scheduled activities. I'll print that out and put it right behind my Sonlight IG, so that way I am not:

1. Duplicating the Sonlight IG by entering it into HST+

2. Able to see both the Sonlight schedule and my own scheduled stuff

3. No need to mark up the IG.

I'm using sonlight and SOTW and other things. I am currently making my own "me-light" page to put in each week alongside the sonlight page. I think it will work well. I still get to check a box, it'll be right there, but I'm not re-typing all of sonlight (I wanted it all together too).

I think that is what you are thinking of doing? I am only using excel, not HST.

FWIW, if you are using core B and SOTW, are you planning to read the same areas each week, or to stagger it as review? I'm trying to figure out how to best put it together myself.

Edited by Tjej

I am currently in the process of entering...drum roll please...4 SL cores into HST! I've already done one (core G) and I'm currently working on Core B. It's actually not as bad as I anticipated. I'm using HST online, so my kids can log in and see all their assignments. I know from experience that I won't be as successful during the year if I'm trying to look in all the books for the assignments each day. Plus I loathe being asked all day by many different voices, "What do I have to do now?" It's like nails scratching on a chalkboard...lol. This way, everyone KNOWS what they have to do and that lends itself to fewer interruptions when I'm in the middle of other things (like explaining a math concept). :) Plus, it allows my kids to take more ownership of their education, which they seem to really enjoy.

Here's what's working for me:

I enter one book at a time in its entirety. For example, in core G A Proud Taste for Scarlet and Miniver begins on day 121 and goes for 10 days. I would start a new assignment that begins on day 121, and has 10 copies with "pp. " for the PLC. After creating the assignments, I open the first one and add the actual page numbers. By clicking next, it'll take me to the next one. It goes pretty quick.

I keep a post-it type note to mark which week I'm on (I add all the books for each week, then move on to the next week).

If I have a book that's really spread out, I'll make the number of copies needed and give them large day numbers. Then I just go back and change the day. Giving them bigger numbers initially will keep them in order as you change day numbers.

I sort my grid by resource to help me find the book I'm working on.

In the custom box, I add "read aloud" or "reader," etc.

If you think of something specific you need help with, just post and I'll try to help.

Good luck!

FWIW, if you are using core B and SOTW, are you planning to read the same areas each week, or to stagger it as review? I'm trying to figure out how to best put it together myself.

I'm going to do it the same week, as I have the SOTW Activity Guide, which is going to help incorporate the hands-on and mapping that my boys love and Core B lacks. I got the audio version of SOTW, so I'll have a bit less reading to do...it will be "sit around and listen time of the day"...:)

I'm going to do it the same week, as I have the SOTW Activity Guide, which is going to help incorporate the hands-on and mapping that my boys love and Core B lacks. I got the audio version of SOTW, so I'll have a bit less reading to do...it will be "sit around and listen time of the day"...:)

I think my relative newness at the hive here has me hyped up in cirricular overkill. I've ordered the audio version, and have the regular version and AG and core B. And that awesome lapbook for SOTW 1 that is hovering around online. I probably have some paring back to do... :) I may do mostly the audio for SOTW (with the hands on stuff)... Thanks for your input!

I think my relative newness at the hive here has me hyped up in cirricular overkill. I've ordered the audio version, and have the regular version and AG and core B. And that awesome lapbook for SOTW 1 that is hovering around online. I probably have some paring back to do...
:lol: I know the feeling...There are so many awesome resources out there that a girl can get carried away...ya know? My homeschool cabinets are proof...lol.

:lol: I know the feeling...There are so many awesome resources out there that a girl can get carried away...ya know? My homeschool cabinets are proof...lol.

:lol: Yep, me too!

I don't know if this will help (you probably already know this).. with Homeschool tracker I have used the sequence numbers to stay more organized, I number them in a way so I can tell which week and day I am on. For example 11 would mean week 1 day 1, 123 would mean week 12 day 3, etc. That has helped me line things up correctly and not become too overwhelmed. If I need things to be in a certian order on a particular day than I just use the order numbers. Hope that helped.

There is a wonderful post on the HST forum that walks you through entering a SL core. It really took a lot less time then I thought it would and I was glad I did it. I was able to hand the kids their sheet and they knew EVERYTHING that was expected that week.