Menu

Will a Thermos keep non-soupy foods hot, too?

Oldest DS has a special diet for his bodybuilding/strength training and wants to take brown rice and chicken (with a little BBQ sauce) to school in a Thermos. (This is his daily lunch, and he'll be going to a University Model Private School next year with no microwave access.) He wants to know if a Thermos will keep this hot. I'm unsure of how well it will work since there's not a soupy enough medium in what he wants to take. Anyhow, we don't have any Thermoses right now, but I don't want to buy one if it won't work.

Yes, but some keep foods hot longer than others. You can check how long a certain model will keep foods hot. Keep in mind that a rice mixture may get thick sitting in the thermos though.

Right before I fill a thermos, I put boiling water from a kettle and let it sit for 5 minutes or so. Then I dump the water and put the food in right away and close the thermos right away tightly. This will keep the food hot for several hours.