Menu

Looking for a good bible study for an 11.5 yr. old boy.

I really like Positive Action for Christ. They are designed for classroom use, yet easy to use at home. They combine reading scripture and life application, which is what I want. You could probably use the 6th grade or any middle school books for that age.

If you decided to order, call the company. They often have "used" copies that are just overstocking returned by schools. I ordered today and saved $15.

I got super burned by "Bible studies" for middle-schoolers. They thought it was their job to discuss moral issues and so on.

I didn't know what to do at the time, but had I to do it over, I would have my son read and read the gospels (we did that, over and over) and (this is the part we didn't do) list every commandment Christ gave. Then read them again and list every promise Christ made. Then read them again and list every warning Christ gave. Then read them again and list the parables. Then read them again... You get the point.

This sounds like a great idea. I'm tired of people falling for bad theology based on proof-texting because they haven't read the Bible enough to recognize hogwash.

http://www.amazon.com/Student-Study-Bible-Crossway-Books/dp/1433523043/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341903697&sr=8-1&keywords=esv+student+study+bible This is what my dd uses. It's a trimmed down version of the larger ESV study Bible. It's appropriate for junior high, high school, or lay people who want something very understandable and not overwhelming.

Thanks for all the great links/ideas everyone. I will check them out. I had tried google, but I wasn't getting very good matches.

What is his reading/understanding level? Where is he at spiritually, and what do you want him to learn from a theological standpoint?

His reading/comp level is about 8th/9th grade. Spirtually, he has a good grasp of the basic concepts. He's accepted Christ and been baptised and understand what it all means. He's always been on the mature side for a boy his age.