Menu

Ninth grade schedule

How much would you schedule the DAY of a 9th grader whose work is almost completely independent? He has a daily schedule of assignments, but should I at this point allow him to do his work when he wants for the day? Maybe a time limit to finish? He's fairly responsible, but can procrastinate if allowed.

My 9th grader will just not be allowed to play computer or Wii, or watch DVDs or anything until he has his schoolwork done. If it piles up over several days, he will not get to attend social events. So I am not making a schedule for him, but I am imposing consequences for slacking. :)

• 2 weeks later...

This past year, when my son was doing 9th grade, we came up with a set of guidelines and a routine, rather than a strict schedule.

He had a list of all of his assignments for the week on Monday morning. We'd go over it together and make a plan for what he would do each day.

Every school day, he had to get up at 7:00, because my husband woke him before leaving for work.

He would shower, then have breakfast, then start schoolwork.

He was supposed to do math and Spanish first, because those are the two subjects that require the most focus for him.

After that, he could work on the rest in whatever order he chose until 3:00. If he finished early, he could read or do personal research or projects until 3:00. If he wasn't done at 3:00, he kept working until he was. If he couldn't/didn't finish before dinner, he quit for the day but wasn't allowed to watch TV or attend optional evening activities.

We put this in place about half-way through the year and found it worked well for us. Next year, he'll be responsible for planning his week on his own (because he wants to do so), but the rest of the rules and routines will probably stay in place.

We did a trial of high school this past year (8th grade). I found that I needed to provide a list of daily objectives, but not necessarily assign the time slots.

I did need to check in every hour or so and monitor progress on independent work. I am not sure whether knowing I would be checking in kept Dd on her toes. I am sure that it helped redirect attention when she strayed before she let too much time pass. As the year went along, she would set her own goals (Ex: Do 15 math problems and 1/2 of grammar then take a break).

She commented that it helped her know when to skip a question temporarily and ask it/seek help when I checked in with her. This is turn seemed to make the questions she asked seem more well thought out than they had been in early times.

Last year I started just giving him weekly assignments and leaving the logistics up to him. He would usually write down which day he was going to do what assignment. He was required to do one math lesson every day, but other than that he could do a whole weeks worth of science or social studies or whatever in one day if he wanted. I plan on doing the same thing this year for 9th.

He gets up at 7:00 and has to take care of his dog and get breakfast, get dressed, etc. Then he starts his day. I don't make him work until a certain time but he is not allowed to watch any tv until 3:00. I don't allow video games or fun computer time during the week. We've never had this happen, but if he were not to finish his assignments during the week then he would not be allowed video games/tv/fun computer on the weekends.

ET1 is currently finishing 8th. We decided to allow ET1 full schedule control this year, showing me work at the end of the week, which is why the school year is not yet done. So, it has changed a bit. ET1 has to show me all the work done each day, before going to bed. You don't show me work today, you have no social life tomorrow - no having friends over, no going to friends' houses, no going around the neighborhood doing odd jobs to earn money. This is working for us. If ET1 asks to go out, during the long break at lunch or after dinner, we allow it if I saw enough school work the previous day. This puts the responsibility solely on ET1. We've even made progress with ET 1 no longer being mad at me for saying no. If it's no, I simply have to say "did you show me work yesterday?" ET1 will then say "no" and that's that. ET1 used to try to negotiate, "if I show you work now can I go." I have remained consistent, though, and that has finally passed. ET1 still plans the day, I just require that I see the results of the day's work.

With ET2, who is still in elementary, we set schedules together - brainstorming, going over the options together, and making a final decision together. That way ET2 still has some say in what the day looks like, but not full control at such a young age.

Both kids have ADHD, so organization & time management is something we work on all the time around here. We had though ET1 was ready to take full control of the schedule, but were wrong, so adjusted accordingly.