Menu

Ordering a math program...how?

Hello,

I'm a teacher in a public school. We are a huge inner city district. The district is not using a math program to go with the new common core standards... they give you the standards and example problems and then the teacher has to go around collecting everything and writing everything up from scratch!! I'm very angry. It's absolutely ridiculous!! Just when I think they can't get any more stupid....

So I spent *countless* hours researching a math curriculum to buy myself for third grade math (60 students). I finally settled on Go Math. My husband gives me the OK to spend the $1,426 (actually it will probably be double that, because I think I'm going to have to "fast cycle" through the grade 2 Go Math first because the kids are likely severely behind). I called Houghton Mifflin and got the major runaround. They told me that my school has to be the one to call and order it...they won't let *me* order it even though it's going to be sent to the school itself.

Well the problem with that is the principal and secretary won't be back into the school until a few weeks before school starts, and I don't want to wait that long and cut it that close to the first day of school!! I am so frustrated with "the powers that be"! This is outrageous!

So, is there any way around that? I figured you all would be the ones to ask and maybe I'll actually get somewhere!! I am so frustrated! I feel like "no good deed goes unpunished" every time I try to do what my students need.

Thanks for any help you can offer!!

That's very generous of you... but I would hesitate to spend that kind of money - it's not sustainable for the long run - and it's not your responsibility to do this. Is this your first year? If not, what did you use last year?

At a district level, what math materials do you have access to? I am certain somewhere in your school or district are plenty of math textbooks. Is there a district math resource person?

If you are dedicated to using a certain curriculum, do you have an overhead projector or projector connected to a laptop that you can use? If so, I would take the book you wish to use and photocopy onto transparencies each lesson page. Kids can work off of the overhead. If not, I would photocopy materials. Do you have unlimited photocopying? Copyright laws do allow for classroom teachers make photocopies.

Keep in mind that a good math book is not as important as a good math teacher. Take ideas for how to present materials from your favorite math book, but give students problem sets from whatever materials are available to them. Lots of books will do a decent job of educating the kids... it's easy to get swayed by marketing material about how amazing a certain program is... but at the end of the day, they're not necessarily all that different.

Thanks Momling. I've taught for 9 years. Our old math program is not sufficient. And now with new standards and new testing it will be even more out of sync. In the past I used the old program plus supplemented extensively. The district is incredibly bureaucratic...times 100. They also do not like to buy anything (manipulatives, for instance). I can't count on them.

This year I'll be at a different school and I'm hoping that the principal there proves me wrong. But based on past experience I'm not hopeful.

I keep teaching for this district because I want to make a difference for underprivileged kids.

I won't spend tat kind of money also. On top of that, you might run into legal issue. I suggested my son's school using Singappore math and they told me the school license cost a LLLOOOTT more than what a homeschooler can get.

I will suggestion you get a curriculum,, for yourself, and create your own curriculum "inspired" by the curriculum you used. I think that will be our best shot

your student are very lucky to have a teacher actually care

Edited by jennynd

I've taught ps and spent my own money before... Sigh. That's a LOT though.

Two things though. Most of us order programs geared toward the homeschool market. Those programs don't have the same restrictions by the publishers that some of the big educational publishers like Houghton-Mifflin have. Second, homeschoolers can get exceptions to buy from the big publishers, but some of them actually require seeing our letters of intent or other proofs that we're homeschooling and then will only sell limited numbers of copies.

If you wanted to buy something geared toward homeschoolers though... like Math Mammoth (cheap, generous user license, really great program!) then we could probably help. :)

Good luck.

FWIW, I recently convinced my kids' charter school to use Math Mammoth. A single teacher license costs relatively little, for PDFs that you can print as much as you like. Cost was a big factor for the school, which wanted to buy Singapore.

Wow, thanks everyone!! I briefly looked at the Math Mammoth. I'll revisit that. I was worried that it wouldn't have enough problem solving (word problems). I'll look at the other ones you mentioned as well.

I usually end up spending about $1,000 a year out of pocket, but you're right this is a little more, lol.

I don't quite understand why the publishers won't sell to individuals.

Edited by innercitytchr

Tell Maria from one professional to another what your concerns are and give her a chance to address them. She has a lot of supplemental materials available, and genuinely loves to help in the teaching of math.

Good luck finding a solution that works for you!

It is fantastic, direct and to the point, and cheap! My 7 year old blew through levels 1B-3B last year (currently finishing 3B) and has ROCK SOLID math skills. Obviously you won't move that fast with a whole classroom full of kids, but it is so easy to differentiate with MM. My older girls have used it in the higher grades.

Nationally-normed standardized test results came back today and WOW! did they all make great strides in math. I think Maria's curriculum paired with a great teacher's experience would be a fantastic combination.

Best of luck with your search & kudos to you for being the sort of dedicated teacher every child deserves.

Dumb question: Did you try ordering online? I see they offer online ordering, so does it prevent you from ordering 60 copies or something? I don't see where it says there is a max number of product you are allowed to buy...

But WARNING to others: I tried to add 60 to my cart on the HM site to see if it would let me and google Chrome said there was "insecure content" and stopped it from loading. So beware. I don't know if that means there could be a virus.

We've always had that problem with publishers like Houghton Mifflin, Scott Foresman, and Macmillan, although usually it's the teacher manuals we can't get. Happily, other publishers have come along who will sell to anyone who wants to buy their products.

ITA with the others: don't spend your own money on this. It has to come back on the heads of the people who made such a stupid decision.

Wow, thanks everyone!! I briefly looked at the Math Mammoth. I'll revisit that. I was worried that it wouldn't have enough problem solving (word problems). I'll look at the other ones you mentioned as well.

I usually end up spending about $1,000 a year out of pocket, but you're right this is a little more, lol.

And... Math Mammoth is realigning to the Common Core Standards. I believe I received an e-mail that she just finished grade 3.

Jump isn't very expensive, and the teacher's material is free if you register. It can be done without the student books. It's geared for classrooms, as far as I know, and has been used a lot in Canada.

I wouldn't advise ordering a whole new math program on your own dime.