Menu

BJU-Physical Science (gr. 9) Distance Learning DVDs

Hi,

Please help me-

Has anyone used the distance learning option DVDs for their Physical Science. We are needing our dd to independently study and need help for the lecture portion of the BJU physical science. I bought the books/kit after we reviewed the Apologia and do feel that it would be a struggle to go through it all year using that book/dvd lecture. (she doesn't care to listen to the lecturer in the Apologia dvds, to be honest)

I did look at a sample video from the BJU dvds and wonder if this is the lecture professor all year long, as well.

Thanks, Char:confused:

...also, what about dive physical science...?

We have DIVE ICP and I have listened to a few lectures! It really is an amazing class! It brings in SO much more than what is in the BJU textbook!! We did BJU DLO for Space and Earth Science this year with dd and are doing DIVE next year. From what I see, DIVE is far superior!! But- we have not done the whole course yet. This is just from my initial observations!!

:smash: plans and redoing

:banghead: Char

Thank you!!!!!!!!! That is soooo--oooo cool to hear about the DIVE physical science, is the teacher a man or woman? Not that it matters,I love to hear enthusiasm regarding some of the plans that we have in place-rofl

Do they have lesson planning in the dvd as well or does a person go chapter by chapter?

Char

We used DIVE ICP 2 years ago and ds found it so boring, we dropped it after a few months. Dr. Shoreman is the teacher, he is male. I'm trying it with dd again next year, very different personality, but I'm ready to drop it and teach myself if she hates it like he did.

Find Rhonda, she used BJU Physical, tried DIVE and then ended up sticking with the BJU DVDs.

eta here is a thread where Rhonda talked about it.

The BJU DVDS rented for 13 months cost over $320.00. Something to think about.........DIVE ICP was $54.00

Or give up on the videos, do just the labs, and watch the Disney science of imagineering videos from your library. (our plan) Shrug, at some point you either bite the bullet for what you really need or make do with what you can afford. The teacher for the BJU physical science seems really good. If they do the $99 thing again like they did last year, I'll definitely spring for them. Meanwhile, I'm planning just to do the labs. My dd remembers science best when we DO it, and I found watching the labs on video just wasn't good enough. I figured I might as well put $300 into lab supplies and get retention rather than videos and have it not stick. But that's just her.

It's too bad board concensus isn't enough to guarantee success. It's really not. You just have to look at your kid. One kid's cream pie is another kid's poison.

Or give up on the videos, do just the labs, and watch the Disney science of imagineering videos from your library. (our plan) Shrug, at some point you either bite the bullet for what you really need or make do with what you can afford. The teacher for the BJU physical science seems really good. If they do the $99 thing again like they did last year, I'll definitely spring for them. Meanwhile, I'm planning just to do the labs. My dd remembers science best when we DO it, and I found watching the labs on video just wasn't good enough. I figured I might as well put $300 into lab supplies and get retention rather than videos and have it not stick. But that's just her.

It's too bad board concensus isn't enough to guarantee success. It's really not. You just have to look at your kid. One kid's cream pie is another kid's poison.

So, they are doing it again for $99. My inner BS in Nursing is says buy the $300 dollar lab and dot it. The realistic me is saying taking it a lab at a time......there is a lot out there. I ordered the kit it was on the doorstep last evening and voila* it was there on the back of the lab dvd-$99 special. If my dear child does not ace this than something is wrong. :lol:

LOVE AND ENCOURAGE ALL OF YOUR ADVICE.....may not agree with it, but I appreciate the effort that you have given to my DILEMMAS. HS JITTERS!!!!!!!!!!! Char ( my planning jitters and child is just reading her books, taking notes and all the good stuff, I need the :chillpill:. Later...

(Although, I may be out doing a fundraiser for our ranch laboratory-lol lot of $s there folks!)

Friend in panic, Char......

Lab dvd or full course dvd? If you rent the full course dvds, the labs are in there. The labs dvd is for people who buy just the subject kit (textbook, tm, etc.) from BJUP. Yes, I bought a subject kit for geography that had the same promo offering to get the whole video course to go with it for $99. I didn't buy my printed materials (lab book and whatnot) from them for the physical science, so I don't know if they'd do the $99 or not. We got just the lab video for the life science one year, and while it's exceptionally good, my dd seems to need to DO to learn.

Agree completely with you. I see on my kit the $99 DLO upgrade. And, learning by doing is great. In my experience, my physical science was kind of a "play" lab. The serious came when it was SD School of Mines and Technology chemistry labs-microbiology, organic and biochemistry....AAARGH!

Those days are etched for ever in my memory and yes, learning from my doing---it can no longer be erased from my memory(sadly:lol: enough)

Plunking down over $300 for the physical lab seems a shade severe Chemistry or Physics, yes, that $ I can understand.

We did get the lab dvd, (I am almost afraid to open it now...lol) Wish they would have told me they had the $99 upgrade to dvd labs instead of selling the Lab DVD to us. Live and learn, Char

Return the lab dvd and get the full course upgrade. You're going to want it I think. Just sayin'

The lab dvd contains everything that the $99 upgrade to DLO contains? I won't want it for anything? Also, is the DLO dvds or online? Enough questions.:chillpill:

Thanks, Char

The lab dvd contains everything that the $99 upgrade to DLO contains? I won't want it for anything? Also, is the DLO dvds or online? Enough questions.:chillpill:

Thanks, Char

The lab DVD is just going to show the labs, nothing else. The $99 upgrade to DLO is an entire year of a teacher teaching your student Physical Science. Every day. It is definitely worth the $99. Definitely. And it includes all of the labs that are in the Lab DVD.

I think the DLO is referring to the online BJU classes. Which are exactly the same as the DVD ones just delivered to your home in a different manner. ;)

The lab DVD is just going to show the labs, nothing else. The $99 upgrade to DLO is an entire year of a teacher teaching your student Physical Science. Every day. It is definitely worth the $99. Definitely. And it includes all of the labs that are in the Lab DVD.

I think the DLO is referring to the online BJU classes. Which are exactly the same as the DVD ones just delivered to your home in a different manner. ;)[/quote

Awesome, that is worth a lot right there...probably didn't need the Dive (although she thoroughly enjoyed it)........we'll call them tomorrow, hope their class isn't too early or maybe they do the hard drive or dvd option for the class. Thanks for the tips! Appreciate it a lot-Char

• 3 weeks later...

December was when they did the $99 deal last time. However, you just never know what deals will come around when.

I am a consultant and these are the current offers:

There is an extended sale for August.

6 DVD Subject kits for 50% (mix and match grades 1-12)

10% BJU Press August 3-5

And consultants have free shipping, every day, no minimum.