Menu

How do I give a grade for Latin?

Ds is in 8th grade this year, but completed Visual Latin lessons 1-30 and Lingua Latina lessons 1-7, which, according to the VL author, is the equivalent of a year of high school Latin. Ds does not want to continue with Latin in high school, and I'd really like to get some Latin on his transcript, but I'm not sure how to assign a grade for this. Any suggestions?

Hi, Megan,

I have no experience with the programs you mention, but I do have a 14yo son who has studied Latin for a few years. We use Cambridge Latin, and I've finally resorted to using their fill-in-the-bubble, standardized tests. At least it gives me a measure of his comprehension and retention.

If your programs do not have a testing component available, perhaps you could visit the National Latin Exam website and have your son take a practice test or two:

http://www.nle.org/

You might have to try one or more levels before you find where to place him, but it would be a start.

HTH,

Tiffany