Menu

What is your favorite spelling curriculum for 5th grade?

cam112198

Rod and Staff's Spelling by Sound and Structure. :) They are phonics based, actually teach spelling, and they're not about memorizing an arbitrary list of words; the learning is in the exercises. The workbook can be completed independently for the most part, and the TE makes your side of it a piece of cake.

Thanks!!

Rod and Staff's Spelling by Sound and Structure. :) They are phonics based, actually teach spelling, and they're not about memorizing an arbitrary list of words; the learning is in the exercises. The workbook can be completed independently for the most part, and the TE makes your side of it a piece of cake.

Would you purchase R&S Spelling 5 or 6 for a 5th grader?

Would you purchase R&S Spelling 5 or 6 for a 5th grader?

For an average 5th grader I would use the 5 book. If his global language arts level is at a 6 level I'd go with the 6 book.

I have four students in this series; all but one use R&S spelling at grade level. The one that uses it ahead of grade level is working ahead of grade level in every subject. :001_smile:

I know, the word lists do seem on the easier side, but it's not about the word lists in these books. My middle school kids would be quick to tell you they still learned from the exercises even when they could correctly spell most of the words on the list when they started the lesson.

For an average 5th grader I would use the 5 book. If his global language arts level is at a 6 level I'd go with the 6 book.

I have four students in this series; all but one use R&S spelling at grade level. The one that uses it ahead of grade level is working ahead of grade level in every subject. :001_smile:

I know, the word lists do seem on the easier side, but it's not about the word lists in these books. My middle school kids would be quick to tell you they still learned from the exercises even when they could correctly spell most of the words on the list when they started the lesson.

Thank you!

Do your kids do it completely independently or are their things you go over with them?

I've been very happy with Megawords, and I also like Sequential Spelling. DD the Elder is almost done Megawords, and I'm starting her sister on SS after SWS2 (I'm not a fan of SWS).

My dd10, a rising 5th grader, has used BJU up until now. I am going to try Spelling Power with her and possibly my rising 8th grader, although his spelling is pretty good. Her spelling isn't horrible but it does need improvement so that's why I'm going with something different. Can't give any reviews on it since I haven't actually used it yet.

Thank you!

Do your kids do it completely independently or are their things you go over with them?

In the 5 book they were independent for the most part, unless they got stuck, and obviously getting their words called out twice a week. If the concept stuck them I'd spend some time going over it. (The TE has teaching suggestions for this, too.)