Menu

Seeking some employment advice....

(It's been along while since I've been on the WTM General board ; ) )

Part of me wishes I could post this anonymously, but since I can't, I'll take a deep breath and go ahead anyhow ; ) I've been hs'ing for 17 years (yeeks) and next year will be down to my last child, who will be 13/ in grade 8. My older sons are 17 (just graduated grade 12); 20 (finished first year of university), and 22 (finished a 3-yr college diploma). Five years ago I was widowed but was able to continue hs'ing and remain in our family home, and I have been very grateful for that. Nonetheless, maintaining this lifestyle stability for my sons has meant financial strain and we've reached the point where we will need to move within the year. My older sons are either already making their own way or about to, but anywhere I would move would still need enough room for myself, my youngest, and at least for some time the next son up, who will be taking a "gap year" before university (and we don't yet know if he will remain nearby or head further afield). I won't bother to go into the emotional upheaval the move will entail, let alone all the books I will need to pack ; ) . Ideally, then , I need to supplement my income, which is investment-based, with some sort of part-time work.

Problem: I am qualified for virtually nothing except diagamming sentences and rescuing dangling modifiers. What do I have? A BA, two MAs, and an all-but-dissertation PhD in English and Creative Writing--skills which are totally unmarketable where I am. Although we have a university and several colleges nearby, they are already glutted with others seeking part-time teaching in English. I did run a co-op in my home for many years, and still teach in our local high school co-op, but that pays pennies. I also do some tutoring but find it very hard to drum up the customers (it seems that parents are keen on helping their kids succeed in math, not writing). Several people have told me I should look into editing because I'm such a grammar geek, but when I've done so, the responses again have been discouraging--it's virtually impossible to "break in" without a background "working your way up" from the bottom. I love teaching--but because I do not have an actual teaching degree, I can't work in elementary or high schools, including the Christian ones in the area.

I'm stumped. What would you do if you were me? It is no longer possible for me to finish the original PhD even if I wanted to, which I don't (the stature of limitaitons has run out on that one) and in all honesty, the idea of going back to university for yet another degree just exhausts me (I'm no spring chicken anymore; not sure I ever was). I am not ready to move away to another city just to find part-time work. I'm not incapable of learning new skills, but can't see where I could apply for a job without them already (Yes, I suppose I could flip burgers, but I know I would then just want to come home and shot myself.) Although I'm a competent manager/ organizer both at home and for the co-ops I've been involved with, I'm an introverted, reserved person and have a very hard time "putting myself out there" or plunging into new situations.

Would anyone have any ideas re what I could do? It's both frustrating and disheartening to have spent so many years of my life in academia and yet be unable to make use of my skills beyond the hs'ing community. I readily admit that even had I completed my PhD, I still would have chosen to homeschool my boys,and I have loved doing it; but this--my current situation-- is why I so very vociferously discourage any starry-eyed artsy types from majoring in English! If anyone has any ideas re how I could parlay my limited skills into some sort of employment, I would be very grateful.

Thank you--

Robin

BTW, my daughter wants to major in English with a minor in creative writing or art.

Have you thought of marketing your abilities to homeschooling parents? I am concerned how I will grade my high schoolers writing papers. I'm awful. I could use help with that.

Have you considered working from home?

http://www.apple.com/jobs/us/aha.html (full benefits here)

http://tbe.taleo.net/NA5/ats/careers/requisition.jsp?org=BUTLERHILL&cws=1&rid=213

Also, Time4Writing (I think) hires teachers for grading.

Thank you--but I am quite techno-challenged. I don't think either of those job descriptions (links) would work for me!

BTW, my daughter wants to major in English with a minor in creative writing or art.

Have you thought of marketing your abilities to homeschooling parents? I am concerned how I will grade my high schoolers writing papers. I'm awful. I could use help with that.

I hope I didn't sound too negative about majoring in English--after all, I did it, and went on to several graduate degrees. However, my original intention was to complete a PhD and then become a university prof--something which I cannot now do without the PhD, at least where I live.

I'd be happy to work at evaluating/grading papers--would you have any idea how I would "market" this skill to homeschoolers? What would you look for if that was the sort of assistance you were seeking?

I also do some tutoring but find it very hard to drum up the customers (it seems that parents are keen on helping their kids succeed in math, not writing).

What about tutoring reading/spelling skills? Around here that is big business and good money, esp. for self-employed tutors. And maybe it could lead into teaching grammar and writing skills as the students gain reading ability. If I went back to tutoring (I did it for two years), that is what I'd do.

I'd be happy to work at evaluating/grading papers--would you have any idea how I would "market" this skill to homeschoolers? What would you look for if that was the sort of assistance you were seeking?

Do local homeschoolers have any sort of collective Facebook page where they can find out about services or field trip or class opportunities? We have one in the Halifax region, and it gets a lot of traffic. Look around on Facebook.

I think if I were looking for assistance, I'd want to know what sort of experience you had, training, what kinds of teaching methods you use, how you've helped other kids succeed in gaining writing skills.

if all you need is an extra $400-800 a month, when i was a single mom with kids in Ottawa, i took in university students as boarders. i only had one or two at a time. i found the first one through our church, and then the others appeared as word got out. i only took students who someone else in my life (church, etc) already knew, so that there was some accountability. i had music students almost exclusively, and reduced rent for childcare, music lessons for dc, and household chores. it worked out well for us, but it does take some adjusting.

fwiw,

ann

if all you need is an extra $400-800 a month, when i was a single mom with kids in Ottawa, i took in university students as boarders. i only had one or two at a time. i found the first one through our church, and then the others appeared as word got out. i only took students who someone else in my life (church, etc) already knew, so that there was some accountability. i had music students almost exclusively, and reduced rent for childcare, music lessons for dc, and household chores. it worked out well for us, but it does take some adjusting.

fwiw,

ann

Ooo, yes, we did this, too - once we had a university student, and another time an ESL student through a local ESL school. I think now they would pay around $700/month for room and board around here, esp. the ESL students coming from Asia.

I remember you and like others have said I think you do have skills. You just are not clear on how to market them. Virtual schools and teaching writing to homeschool groups are two ideas. Another place to consider is after school tutoring centers. There are online programs just for writing instruction that may be a good fit as well.

I think if you are in a university town, taking in borders may provide a cushion without uprooting your home.

If you are having trouble with marketing your Engish skills and think it might be best to start over, you might want to read Laura Corin's post from a couple of days ago, which I am now having trouble pasting here. She talks a little about here journey getting back in the workplace. Realize this is not about your English degree(s). I have a degree in Chemistry and had some laboratory experience with high temperature plastics -- stuff used in the space shuttle. That was 25 years ago. I am not going to be able to walk into a materials science lab and get a job. You need figure out how to market yourself and where you want to begin building your resume again. Any job can be a good starting point.

I know you said you're a little techno-challenged, but I assume that just means the techno knowledge and not the using-a-computer knowledge, so this is an online suggestion. Have you heard of Tutor.com? Here's their application link. -- http://www.tutor.com/apply

This website can be used by students at home, but a lot of public libraries subscribe to the service so students can come to use the computers at the library and get help with their homework. It is a very valuable service that might fit with what you're looking for.

Here's the FAQ about pay from their website: "Q: How much are tutors paid?

Tutoring with Tutor.com is an opportunity to earn extra income. Tutors are paid every month, and pay is based on the subjects tutored and the number of hours tutored. As an example - our most active Chemistry tutors earn anywhere from $800 to $1600 a month. We also offer bonuses, performance incentives and opportunity for growth."

I know you said you're a little techno-challenged, but I assume that just means the techno knowledge and not the using-a-computer knowledge, so this is an online suggestion. Have you heard of Tutor.com? Here's their application link. -- http://www.tutor.com/apply

This website can be used by students at home, but a lot of public libraries subscribe to the service so students can come to use the computers at the library and get help with their homework. It is a very valuable service that might fit with what you're looking for.

Here's the FAQ about pay from their website: "Q: How much are tutors paid?

Tutoring with Tutor.com is an opportunity to earn extra income. Tutors are paid every month, and pay is based on the subjects tutored and the number of hours tutored. As an example - our most active Chemistry tutors earn anywhere from $800 to $1600 a month. We also offer bonuses, performance incentives and opportunity for growth."

Thanks, Beverly--but I did look up this site a while back and found out that there was some reason it would not work for me. It may have been something abut not being able to use Macintosh computers for their programs (which is what i use). But I'll check again.

I don't know the university system in Canada, but you could contact any local schools and see if they had a writing center that you could work in part-time. That also may be a way to get an adjunct position too.

I remember you and like others have said I think you do have skills. You just are not clear on how to market them. Virtual schools and teaching writing to homeschool groups are two ideas. Another place to consider is after school tutoring centers. There are online programs just for writing instruction that may be a good fit as well.

I think if you are in a university town, taking in borders may provide a cushion without uprooting your home.

Thank you--yes, I was actually hoping to take in a boarder this coming year, when my oldest son moved back home after three years in college, and now tells me he may be here for another year! Argh. In any case, even taking in a boarder would not make sufficient financial difference; I need to sell my home and buy a much cheaper one in order to invest more capital for income unless I find a job that pays a good $50,000 a year (hah). Our home is large and expensive to maintain, and in a couple of years it won't make any sense to have so much empty space with just me and my youngest at home, much as we will hate to lose it--we have used it well over the years..

Thanks, Beverly--but I did look up this site a while back and found out that there was some reason it would not work for me. It may have been something abut not being able to use Macintosh computers for their programs (which is what i use). But I'll check again.

Darn, it really does say that "Tutor.com does not support Mac computers for tutors at this time." That's so frustrating! I'm sorry it won't work for you. :sad: