Menu

How long is your kids' summer vacation? Just curious.

My kids finished KG on the 20th of June, and their first day of 1st grade is the 23rd of August. (They are switching schools.) No wonder the summer seems to be flying by! How long do your kids get for "official" summer vacation from school?

My son finished K on June 29 and starts 1st on July 30. Which is still better than most kids at his school, who start on July 9. It's a multitrack year round school, so we get 4 weeks off in July, 3 in October, 4 in December/January, and 3 in April. We love it!

My son finished K on June 29 and starts 1st on July 30. Which is still better than most kids at his school, who start on July 9. It's a multitrack year round school, so we get 4 weeks off in July, 3 in October, 4 in December/January, and 3 in April. We love it!

I'm jealous! As a working mom, I don't really see the benefit of a long summer, but it sure would be nice to be able to take a short trip in, say, October (around my kid's birthday), without ticking off the teacher.

DS13 just finished today. Both DS13 and DS11 will be starting back 4 September, so just over six weeks in all. It's nowhere near long enough.

DS11 has been homeschooled for three years, so I'm grieving a bit today, which is why I'm here :tongue_smilie:. I may well be here quite a bit, so Hi :seeya:.

• 2 weeks later...

In Denmark, summer vacation is 6 weeks long. Feels very short to this American, although I admittedly appreciated a week off in October and another week off in February. The school day is much shorter so I think that the number of hours spent in the classroom is similar to the U.S. (although I never took the time to actually figure out the math...)

They got out June 8th and start August 28th, one week later than last year. And the last day of school, they announced a new staggered schedule for 1st-3rd that makes the school day 45 minutes shorter. I am one of the few parents excited about this, it is a gift to our after schooling plans.