Menu

Where can I have stacks of paper shredded?

As part of our decluttering, we want to discreetly get rid of years' worth of bank statements and other personal/financial papers. We have stacks that are several feet high. Our little paper shredder can only handle a sheet or two at a time, and at that rate we'll be shredding forever and will probably burn out the motor as well.

I looked in the phone book under "Paper Shredding," but the only listings are for sites that are an hour or more away from us, or for mobile units that go to offices. I'm looking for something close by and easy to get to. Does Kinko's offer a shredding service, or can anyone suggest some other well-known resource?

If you don't have a local place that you can take them . . . you could always have a bonfire in the back yard (assuming it is legal in your community and you aren't in a drought/fire restriction). It's not very environmentally correct, but if it's just a few boxes of bank statements, I don't think it's a big deal. (And, I am a tree hugger, lol.)

Don't do what I did and burn in the fireplace . . . I once decided to burn all the massive volumes of love letters from an ex in the fireplace. It burned so hot, it broke the grate! LOL, he was all talk.

If you have boxes and boxes of stuff, one of the mobile services would work well. I've called them and asked about their rates (can't remember it), But they said I could bring it in. Another option is to call your bank and ask if they would let you put your papers in with theirs for when the truck comes. My favorite though, is to take my shredding to office depot and pay them (by the pound, I think) to shred it.

If you don't have a local place that you can take them . . . you could always have a bonfire in the back yard (assuming it is legal in your community and you aren't in a drought/fire restriction). It's not very environmentally correct, but if it's just a few boxes of bank statements, I don't think it's a big deal. (And, I am a tree hugger, lol.)

:iagree:We wanted a portable fire pit for campfires this summer and I realized that I could burn our shredables in it. I got this one and we've enjoyed hot dogs and smores around it a few time already this summer. It was lots easier to burn it than shred it, around here the shred has to be treated as yard waste/composting in the recycling system, separate bin and everything...major headache.

As far as what we burn and consider shredables, I go through everything (junk mail mostly) and rip off all identifying addresses & names/account numbers. The ripped off chunks are what I burn and I just recycle the rest in the regular recycling bin. Over a few months it filled up a 5 lb flour paper bag. Much easier than my husband shredding entire sheets for a few hours each month.

I googled "Paper Shredding (for my) County" to see if possibly something was recommended. This is what I got:

http://www.loudoun.gov/index.aspx?NID=2404

It contains many of the suggestions you ladies have made! Thank you!! I especially like the resource (PCRecycler, Inc) where you can take almost anything in to be recycled on the second Saturday of the month. My husband will be loading up the car next Saturday!

Our Staples added this service. They charge $.79/lb. I have about $600 worth of shredding. :)

Office Depot does this as well. I can't remember what the price per pound is, but I remember seeing the signs advertising it when I went in to make copies!