Menu

How to keep your place in schoolbooks? (bookmarks keep falling out!)

mathnmusic

My kids and I have the same problem - our bookmarks keep falling out of our schoolbooks, losing our place and precious time is lost trying to find where we left off. This applies to our math binders, history books, reading books, Bible, you name it, we've lost our place. We've tried regular bookmarks (that fall out), dogearing the last page (mars the book pages), using a sticky post it (loses it's stickiness and falls out). They've started just leaving the books open flat and face down, which drives me crazy because it gets stepped on and breaks the binding. I'd love it if all our schoolbooks came with those ribbon strings sewn in at top of the book, but none do. What do you do to keep your place in your schoolbooks?

I like the post it flags. I just toss it when it pick it up again and use a fresh one on the next page to be saved. I go through a ton of them in a year but they are awesome

I move mine from page to page. I also use one color for reference pages and red for "where we are". If it is a workbook, I cut the lower right corner off at an angle, so the undone pages are whole. I then just put my right thumb on the top whole page and flip open the workbook.

I like the post it flags. I just toss it when it pick it up again and use a fresh one on the next page to be saved. I go through a ton of them in a year but they are awesome

:iagree: We do that too. Each kid has a color. They last a while before needing to toss and replace. Easy peasy.

:iagree: Love these!

I move mine from page to page. I also use one color for reference pages and red for "where we are". If it is a workbook, I cut the lower right corner off at an angle, so the undone pages are whole. I then just put my right thumb on the top whole page and flip open the workbook.

For some books this works for others I find not, depends who is primarily using the book lol. Kids books get tossed each time, read aloud and tms I can get a few uses out of them.

I even color code my flags for some books, for example scout and guide books, badge pages are marked off based on the month we are working on them for ease of finding them. so badges we did in June are with yellow flags, those in July have green, AUgust is orange, and September is red. Since re do not reconvene until mid October we have to keep it organized for ease of awarding them.

Another fan of sticky flags - this is also how I mark pages that I check at night that need to be corrected the next day. I put them at the top for place holders and on the sides fro corrections. When I run out and don't want to/can't get to the store to get more, I cut up sticky notes (its rare to run out of both at the same time:D)

I move mine from page to page. I also use one color for reference pages and red for "where we are".

:iagree: I use something like these. DD#1 uses them to mark "reference" pages in her math book and to mark where she is. They are remarkably sticky (seldom do we have to replace the one we move everyday) & remove cleanly everytime.

Small size but otherwise regular Post-It Notes don't work well. But these are great.

You could be like my kids and use non traditional items as bookmarks such as shoes, socks, toys, etc. :glare:

:lol: My kids do the same thing. Recently a harmonica was re-purposed as a bookmark.

In schoolbooks where I actually want us to find our spot without a 10-minute hunt, I use post-it flags. Usually one will last a whole math book (unless, of course, my children pilfer it as a bookmark for another book ... :) )

Thin 1/4 inch elastic for sewing. Cut a strip about double length of the book and add 3 inches. Tie an over hand knot about 1/2 inch shorter than the length.

These work especially well in chapter books and lay flat. They're also big enough the kids don't lose them.