Menu

Giving up cable??

Anyone gone from cable to no cable? I don't even want to say what I pay for cable, it's that expensive. We are looking for ways to cut our budget and cable seems to be the most frivolous thing that we spend money on.

I am not going back to dial-up and we are not getting rid of television altogether, so don't even suggest it.;)

My problem is, the majority of things that I enjoy watching are on cable. My guilty pleasures like Gene Simmons Family Jewels and Tori and Dean (don't jugde me, I grew up on 90210.)

Anyway, it's something that once it's gone, I am sure that I won't miss it, it's just taking the plunge. And, I don't really watch that much television.

Please tell me I can do this! :D Remind me that we have a goal and paying extra money for cable is deterring us from that goal. Did I spell deterring right?:lol:

We did. We technically have our basic local stations cable and high speed internet (cable). No regrets. Lately, though, we seem to be getting the next level up with channels. Not sure why that is happening. We don't miss it all that much. We rent on occasion. And just do other things. The boys' favorite night is NOVA science night on PBS anyway. No need for cable with that!

Do it. There is absolutely NO reason to pay an exorbitant amount of money to watch drivel.

Did that help?:lol:

I went from my parent's house, with every channel imaginable, to having no cable for 7 years. We watched very little TV, just pbs mostly. Then my husband and his directtv moved in with us, and I find myself avoiding the TV even after 6 years!

We loved having no cable for about five years, only did Netflix. Then when we moved, our new house only had cable for the computer. It was cheaper to do a bundle (cable TV) with the cable internet. :ack2:

We still don't watch it much, but I would love to junk it and have more $ for more movies from Netflix. :lol:

Guest Virginia Dawn

We went from cable to an antenna 10 years ago. Love having no bill. In February, we are not going digital with the rest of the country. My children are going to be affected the most, on second thought that might affect me too, until they figure out what to do in the mornings instead of PBS.

We did a while back, dh was in protest with Direct TV. We did fine because most of what we watched was network tv.

Now I don't think I could tear him away from it.

Does your provider have programming ala carte? And have you looked at satellite? Just some options. Also a lot of shows you can watch online, would that be doable?

Cable TV is the herpes of the viewing world....

(sorry, but your sig quote cracked me up)

You can get rid of it. You will survive. I grew up on 90210, too, and have no idea what Tori & Dean are up to, and I'm surviving :lol:.

Seriously, ditch it. After a few weeks you won't even miss it. Much.

Ya know, Honey Bunny, you could trade your drivel for Harlequin!:D Or read something with substance.

:lol: Yes, two people locked in a passionate embrace. The woman with her heaving busom and the man with his shirtless chest!

Dawg, you trippin', G!

If I can do it, you can do it!

Seriously, I was raised on t.v. It's in my blood. When I have cable hooked up I watch waaaay too much t.v. We turned it off 3 years ago, and I have survived. I love *not* having cable. Cable is too easy to turn on... too much of a distraction.

p.s. I love018.gif Netflix.

We had our Dish turned off a year ago. No one even blinked. We have Netflix, so we told the kids they could order DVDs of any tv show they missed. Every once in a while they get Sponge Bob or The Cosby Show, but that's it. Bud and I watch Lost and 24 on DVD.

I love that we don't have so many nasty commercials in our faces all the time.

Go girl!

I have never had cable or satellite tv. Never in my entire life! When I go someplace that has it and flip through the stations, it truly amazes me that people pay money for it.

I suspect that it is something that you would miss really badly for awhile, and then you would do fine without it.

Anyway, it's something that once it's gone, I am sure that I won't miss it, it's just taking the plunge. And, I don't really watch that much television.

Really, after a while you won't miss those shows. We've gone from cable to rabbit ears. And then we cut down on tv even more. I can tell it's a habit...sitting in front of the tv at a certain time. I think I used to watch a lot of tv....I must have had a lot of extra time on my hands!

Really, you can do it!

We're another family who traded in DirecTV for rabbit ears. They only work upstairs and we only get a handful of channels. DH and I like "Ghost Whisperer," and I just bought the entire second season on DVD for half the price of one month's DirecTV bill.

We have done Netflix but mostly we just borrow DVDs and videos from the library, or we watch what we already have, or we swap with friends and relatives. When the Indiana Jones movies were on sale for $10 each at Target, we bought all three. When a new movie or concert DVD comes out, we buy it at the sale price. So we have a nice little library of our own right now, too.

We're in a position to have DirecTV again if we want, but DH and I both decided there's no way we can watch $75 worth of television a month and still have a life.

(A happy side effect is that my poor, deprived children don't know what the latest fad or fashion or toy is that will make them cool and popular because we don't have commercials!)

We went from cable to an antenna 10 years ago. Love having no bill. In February, we are not going digital with the rest of the country. My children are going to be affected the most, on second thought that might affect me too, until they figure out what to do in the mornings instead of PBS.

You could get a converter box for your TV. If you request a coupon from https://www.dtv2009.gov/ApplyCoupon.aspx a box can be had for about $10. That's IF you want TV after the change over to digital. We got a box (and a new antenna) for our TV. We now get three PBS stations. I'm happy with that.

You won't miss it. Once a season ends you miss it a week or two, but then life moves on. Our married life we have never had cable. We got rid of family TV once our first born was glued to the set whenever it was on at 10 mos.

We did keep the TV and mostly rent oldies from the library for special occasions and use it for workout tapes. I guiltily admit that I have been able to get fox to come in on one little broken bunny ear and unfortunately got hooked on "So You Think You Can Dance", but only because my husband was working nights. After it is over I will go without again.

It is so addictive, but just like junk food if it isn't in the house it is much easier not to think about it or eat it.

Does your provider have programming ala carte?

Do you know of a company that offers this? I'd love to get rid of ours, too, because in addition to the local channels for news, we regularly watch about 5 channels (science, discovery, history, hgtv and food network). But, in order to get them, we have to go with middle package, and that stinks.

Maybe the hive can get together and create our own cable company.:D

We just made the cut back this week - basic cable and lower internet service (not dial-up, though). We are going through a little withdrawl, but not like I had feared. The hardest time for me so far has been when the kiddos go to bed and I am ready to settle down and watch some drivel. I guess I need to go the library and get some good books! Ideas?! :confused:

We gave up cable about ten years ago and I honestly have no clue where I would find the time to watch television. We watch movies and other DVDs but sparingly. You can do it. Look at what you are spending per year and see if that motivates you more.

Connie

Anyone gone from cable to no cable? I don't even want to say what I pay for cable, it's that expensive. We are looking for ways to cut our budget and cable seems to be the most frivolous thing that we spend money on.

I am not going back to dial-up and we are not getting rid of television altogether, so don't even suggest it.;)

My problem is, the majority of things that I enjoy watching are on cable. My guilty pleasures like Gene Simmons Family Jewels and Tori and Dean (don't jugde me, I grew up on 90210.)

Please tell me I can do this! :D Remind me that we have a goal and paying extra money for cable is deterring us from that goal. Did I spell deterring right?:lol:

Really, you can do it!! But, this is from someone who has never had cable, so take it with a grain of salt. My motive is selfish. If you have no cable, you have more time to spend on the WTM boards and make me laugh. So, selfishly, I encourage you to give up cable.

OK, you ladies have convinced me! I am going to the Time Warner Cable store today and I am taking my life back!!:D

Thanks, everyone.

I mean, without cable, you and hunky will have even more time for......:lol:

Yep...the cable company in St. Louis made me mad....and I can really hold a grudge! LOL So I spent 3 years without cable....and it wasn't all that bad. I *did* miss my favorite shows and it was kinda hard in respect to talking to other people...since conversation often turned to what they were watching...and that usually consisted of cable programming....but, we survived. We do have cable now that we live in WA...but if they make me mad....so help me....:lol:

We do have an antenna that is pretty inconspicuous (sp?) on top of our TV. We get a lot of channels- the three major networks, three PBS stations, and a few others. (No HGTV or SciFi). There is only one show that we watch each week and we just buy the episodes from Apple TV. We just got sick of paying for it. (BTW, we had paid for my mom's cable and internet for years and we had to stop that, too.) Lucky for us, dh's job pays for our cable internet. Now I'm considering getting rid of my landline and using our cell phones. The start up costs for the nice antenna and the Apple TV box are high, but it pays for itself quickly.

The former owners of our house had basic cable, and when we moved in, we called the cable company and asked them to give us only "sub-basic" cable - local network channels only (ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, TBN etc.) - maybe 15 channels altogether. We had to talk to a manager because no one knew what we were talking about. It costs us about $13 per month.

Anyway, back to the story. Even though we called the cable company several times, it took them 6 YEARS to change our cable subscription. So all that time we had basic cable and were only paying $13 (became addicted to HGTV and the Food Network). Well, one day a couple years ago the cable guy came to fix something at the "box" and switched us to sub-basic. Some family members went through a bit of a panic :tongue_smilie: but in less than a month, no one cared any more. My littlest ones think Dora is a brand of popsicle.

We gave up cable over 5 years ago! Our oldest was just 6 months old at the time and I was working full-time. DH and I noticed that when we came home from work, we would just sit and veg out in front of the TV instead of gazing at and playing with our beautiful little girl. We shut it off the next morning and haven't regretted it.

We get our news online or in newspapers or magazines. If there is something we REALLY want to watch, and if it's available, we get it on Netflix and watch once the kidlets have gone to bed!

If you do it you might inspire me to do it too.

Our problem is that we have one of those "three for one" deals with the cable company. Our phone and internet are connected to the cable. I don't know if the savings would be worth the hassle. But I'll look into it tomorrow.

Oh, and don't forget that as long as you have high speed internet access you can watch a lot of tv shows online (including Gene Simmons.) :001_smile:

We got rid of cable several years ago. You wouldn't believe all the good shows on PBS! We do still have wireless internet and you can watch some of your shows over that. You can do this, it's so worth having the extra money. Really, once it gone you won't miss it (after several months of withdrawl:D)! Hope that helps.

We had cable, and we loved-loved-loved certain parts of it: History of the Gun, Mail Call, most of Comedy Central. Bear in the Big Blue House. (OK, I do still miss Bear - but the kids do eventually outgrow that.) :D We gave it up while DH was in school, b/c it was a luxury and we weren't in a place for luxury at the time... he's been out of school for almost five years, now, and we've never had it hooked back up.

It's easy to fill those voids and gaps, really. The boys ask once in a while when we're going to get cable again, and that's when I show them how much it costs per month and ask them what they'd like to give up in order to afford it. Scouts, baseball, piano, and rocket center? B/c that's what it would take, and more. It's really, really expensive and just not worth it, considering what it would take from our resources.

Particularly if you don't watch much - think of the cost-per-show, and then it's much easier to cut that bill right out of the line-up! We wouldn't want to pay that much for movie tickets, but we don't blink twice about the cable bill. ;)

You can DO it!!

You can do it :>) We have . But then we need cable to pick up some of our regular channels and we'll definitley need cable to pick up any local channels when we move . Which stinks because in all honesty I don't want cable . All we ever did most of the time was watch the local channels anyways .

Right now we do just fine . I don't miss it at all . I can't say the same for my hubby , but he'll live . Sometimes he just goes up to his parents house and watch theirs :>)

I hated trying to compete with Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network to get my girls to shut off the t.v. and to get school work done . It just wasn't happening . So off it went .

If we want to watch a movie , we rent or buy one and watch it on our DVD player .

You'll find that you really don't miss that stuff after all after about a week :>)

that ever happening here. I enjoy the History Channels & Discovery Channels too much -- I DVR LOTS of shows that supplement our studies, and dh loves his Westerns Channel. None of us watches an exorbitant amount of television -- and very little of what we do watch is "mindless", so television hasn't been a problem here. If we have something else we need to do, we just exercise self-discipline and turn off the television.

about 8 years ago. We don't have kids, so that wasn't a factor. The nephews came to play with us so they didn't mind it when they were smaller. Now it's just a quirk that Aunt Laura doesn't have tv. We do have a 12 foot screen painted on the wall so DVD and Apple TV movies are awesome!

Anyway, when we cut it out for budget purposes we realized we were addicted to it. When we visit other places/people that has tv we are constantly watching it when it's nonsense. When I travel I sit up way too late in the hotel room watching various flavors of Law & Order.

What we do miss are the cool things on the History Channel and the like. But there are ways around that. And in the long run, I prefer to curl up with a good book!

</div>

I was all set with an encouraging message - we didn't have any TV forever - but then I got worried. Will you be able to pick up FOX when American Idol starts again? Cause if you won't be able to, I'm afraid I'll have to veto this whole plan of yours. How could we watch w/out your insights?!

I was all set with an encouraging message - we didn't have any TV forever - but then I got worried. Will you be able to pick up FOX when American Idol starts again? Cause if you won't be able to, I'm afraid I'll have to veto this whole plan of yours. How could we watch w/out your insights?!

And I don't even have to make the boys stand by the TV, all Karate Kid style, or anything.

And I don't even have to make the boys stand by the TV, all Karate Kid style, or anything.

On a clear day, we get three channels, in the winter or fog, only 1-2. None of them are clear.

During the newscast, when the audio skips, we fill in the gaps with our own guesses which is much more fun than watching the news with a perfectly clear picture and crisp audio!

PS: We have Netflix so we can choose what we really want to see and when!

:lol:

On a clear day, we get three channels, in the winter or fog, only 1-2. None of them are clear.

During the newscast, when the audio skips, we fill in the gaps with our own guesses which is much more fun than watching the news with a perfectly clear picture and crisp audio!

PS: We have Netflix so we can choose what we really want to see and when!

:lol:

The image of that just cracked me up this morning!

Your post also reminded me of the "Unnecessary Censoring" sketch that Conan O'Brian does once in a while. (I think it's him - they all sound the same to me past ten PM.) Have you seen it? Where they take a perfectly normal speech or press conference, and bleep out random words. Oh, it makes me laugh SO hard. I'm easily amused.