Menu

Books not to miss for Ancient Egypt (and what to leave behind)

Ancient Egypt is my ds's favorite time period, bar none.

He loves:

Mummies Made in Egypt (we had to turn this one in and check it back out it was so well loved)

Egyptian Gods and Goddesses

I am the Mummy Heb Nefert

Hierogylphs

King Tut: Lost and Found

Egyptian Myths

Hieroglyph stamps

Bill and Pete Go Down the Nile

Mostly he just fell in love with hieroglyphics and mythology. It was really cool to see that when we visited the King Tut exhibit, he knew more about the discovery that what was written on the placards, and he could decode many hieroglyphs, mostly because of what we studied in SOTW 1.

I did Egypt last year with a 1st and 3rd grader, both girls. Of course your mileage varies depending on your son's individual situation. Here's my thoughts:

Magic Treehouse Mummies and Pyramids Field Guide - There's nothing better than the Magic Treehouse Field Guides for elementary nonfiction. Do not confuse these with the early reader books - the field guides are more challenging and are worth owning if you can swing it. If he's still an early reader, there's also "Mummies in the Morning" to read (or re-read) while you're studying Egypt.

A Place in the Sun - Literature Read-Aloud. It was - "ok" - my girls were not crazy about it. I think it might be better received by boys.

Maia of Thebes - Literature Read-Aloud. An OK story in a setting that brought daily life in Ancient Egypt to life.

Mara Daughter of the Nile - I purchased this, and it's still on my shelf. Not age-appropriate for elementary IMO. More of a middle school book. Skip.

The Golden Goblet - Another one I have on my shelf that I think is for older kids. I'd skip it for the 2nd grader, though it's more elementary-appropriate than Mara, I think.

The Egypt Game - BIG hit, my 3rd grade daughter read it independently. It's not really *about* Ancient Egypt but.. could be topical literature and it's a Newbery Honor book.

The Red Pyramid - Big, BIG hit with my 3rd grader last year. Your mileage may vary with a 2nd grader. She read Rick Riordan's Egypt series independently and knew the Egyptian pantheon forwards and backwards as a result.

Egyptology Just a FUN, fantasy-filled Egypt-enthusiasm book. We purchased this one!

The Great Egyptian Grave Robbery (Flat Stanley) - Good 2nd grade independent reading option. Fun.

The Curse of the Cheese Pyramid - Geronimo Stilton books were HUGE with my 1st grader last year, and this was a fun one to pick up as an independent read during our Egypt study

Edited by zenjenn

We've been studying Ancient Egypt for about 2 years - that's how much DD loves that time in history. Her favorite book is Tales of Ancient Egypt, which she has probably read about a dozen times. It ties in well with The Kane Chronicles by Riordan.

I just noticed that Pharaohs of Ancient Egypt is now available on Kindle, which is excellent since the text size is small in the book, and I couldn't allow DD to read it on her own. I guess we can give it a try now.

My younger dd and I recently read this:

Seeker of Knowledge: The Man Who Deciphered Egyptian Hieroglyphs by James Rumford

and then followed it with this kit:

Fun With Hieroglyphics stamp kit

We also read and enjoyed this:

The Great Pyramid by Elizabeth Mann

My younger dd and I recently read this:

Seeker of Knowledge: The Man Who Deciphered Egyptian Hieroglyphs by James Rumford

and then followed it with this kit:

Fun With Hieroglyphics stamp kit

We also read and enjoyed this:

The Great Pyramid by Elizabeth Mann

These look great. The whole "Wonders of the World" series looks like it might be good.

I love your blogs, too, by the way. Do you use a modified Ambleside?

There's an extra http in this link above. Here's the fixed link:

http://www.amazon.com/Egyptian-Treasures-Galileo-Stargazers-Weiss/dp/1882513479

We love Jim Weiss, so this one is on my wishlist now. Thanks!

This looks good. I'm going to pick this up.

I was going to post the Jim Weiss, a must!

I am about to return to Egypt for the second time with a younger so I am getting excited. I was just going through what i have last night.

Cleopatra, by Diane Stanley

Pepi and the Secret Names

Pyramid! David Macauley

Mummies Made in Egypt - Aliki

I Am the Mummy Heb-Nefert

King Tut's Mummy Lost and Found

Ms. Frizzle's Adventures in Ancient Egypt

Temple Cat, Andrew Clements

The Red Pyramid, Rick Riordan

Tales of Ancient Egypt, Roger Lancelyn Green

We did Ancients when middle son was in 2nd. One we enjoyed that hasn't already been mentioned was Boy of the Pyramids. I did have to buy it from Simply Charlotte Mason but it was really good! My 5th grader read the Golden Goblet that year, but I think as a read aloud your 2nd grader would enjoy it.

Thanks! :001_smile:

I started out following AO, but decided to go about it my own way. My goal was to create a curriculum that reflected my own ideas more. I've been working on making it more literature focused and also creating the option for more family-centered themes (to allow for better combining of ages) along with the individual progression.

Funny, I really didn't like the looks of the The Egyptology book at all. It seemed to have a lot of focus on their worship of different gods, which is probably accurate to describe the period, but still it was off-putting to me and I gladly put it back on the shelf at the library sale. To each person her own!

I picked up this book from the library today, and immediately bought our own copy from amazon- the price is awesome, and the illustrations are beautiful. Awesome find!!

Pharaoh: Life and Afterlife of a Godir?t=onlypassicuri-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B005K5PO4M

I know it isn't a book, but we used this kit today and had a blast with it (it was insanely high quality for being 10 bucks!)

Egypt Mummy Excavation Kitir?t=onlypassicuri-20&l=as2&o=1&a=B004GUSDAO

I blogged about it today if you want to see pictures of it "in the flesh"

Our favorites:

History Detectives: Ancient Egypt by Ardagh

Tutankhamen's Gift by Sabuda

See-Through Mummies by Malam

The Nile River by Fowler

If we had to choose only three:

Who Built the Pyramid? by Hooper

Pharoah: Life and Afterlife of a God by Kennett

The Story of the Nile by Millard