Menu

teacher book for lab manuals from Prentice Hall

I'm going to try calling PH on Monday to see what they tell me.

I am going to be teaching two physics classes next year, Hewitt's Conceptual Physics (for the first time) and Giancoli's Physics (for the second time).

The last time I taught Giancoli's, I used LabPaqs for the labs, but I think I want something different this time. I am looking at using Puri's lab manual: http://www.amazon.com/Physics-Lab-Manual-Om-Puri/dp/0130611468/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341764280&sr=8-1&keywords=physics+lab+puri

I did some searching around on the AP website and this one was mentioned as being a good lab manual for AP physics.

I have a copy of the lab manual for Hewitt's Conceptual Physics and I really like what I see. It would be cost-prohibitive to get some of the equipment (and I wouldn't get the equipment to do all of the experiments, but there are 99 in the book) if I wasn't teaching it as a class and planning to continue teaching it as a class.

I don't see a teacher version for either one of these on the PH website. Do any of y'all happen to have the ISBN for the teacher editions of these lab manuals?

Have you checked the OASIS site? They list all of the accompanying materials with each book/product and allow you to order directly. WE found it the easiest way to acquire teacher materials.

Oasis - Pearson

oasis.pearson.com/

:iagree:After initial paperwork that was lost in my junk folder and frustration, I find having an account with OASIS very beneficial. Just this morning I found a 2012 Literature book that I was looking for. And, they do have past editions as well, which is super! Just finding them to be very helpful. That initial affidavit just proves that a person is not going to use the teacher ed. in PS, I believe.

Did you have luck finding what you need? I just found them to be less expensive than searching the internet for the book I am looking for. Char

• 2 weeks later...

I did find the teacher manual for the lab book for Hewitt's Conceptual Physics. When I called Prentice Hall, they couldn't find a teacher manual for the Puri lab book either. They forwarded me to one of their curriculum people, but she's out of town, so I won't hear back until Monday next week about whether or not there is a teacher manual for Puri's lab book.

I really like both lab manuals. I plan to use Hewitt's for the conceptual physics class and I may use Puri for the AP level class, but I'm not sure I want to go through the hassle of using a lab book that doesn't have an answer key.

I have a copy of the lab manual for Hewitt's Conceptual Physics and I really like what I see. It would be cost-prohibitive to get some of the equipment (and I wouldn't get the equipment to do all of the experiments, but there are 99 in the book) if I wasn't teaching it as a class and planning to continue teaching it as a class.

Would you mind elaborating more on the Hewitt Lab Manual? I have an old edition of the text and of the practicing book, but I've been wondering about getting the lab manual, because I can't seem to find anywhere online that lists what is in it. I would like to do some labs, but frankly, don't want to spend a fortune as we are doing this as a conceptual science with my 13 year old, who will likely do an AP Physics again in 12th grade. Is it really very expensive? Would it be possible to pick out say, 10-15 experiments and keep the cost reasonable? I'm also wondering, since you've taught physics before if you have a recommendation for a lab kit at this level? Thanks!

When I did an AP Physics B level class, I used Labpaqs for labs. It worked well, but I'm wanting something more this time around. Since I'm teaching this as a class and will continue to teach it as a class, I can invest in some solid equipment now. I can use the same equipment for my conceptual and ap level labs.

There are a lot of experiments in the Conceptual lab manual that would be pretty inexpensive to do. I have the lab manual that is coordinated with the previous edition of Conceptual Physics. 0-13-054257-1

#3 domino effect - just need dominoes, stopwatch, meterstick

#4 merrily we roll along - 2 meter ramp, marble, wood block, stopwatch, tape, meterstick, protractor, transparencies (so you can overlay your graphs, I think)

#6 race track - paper lab

#8 going nuts - 12" embroidery hoop, narrow-mouth bottle, 12.25" nuts

#11 getting pushy - roller skates or skateboard, spring balance, meterstick, tape

#14 impact speed - stopwatch, string with rock tied to one end, leaf or feather, styrofoam ball or ping pong ball

#16 balloon rockets - balloons, paper clips, string, tape, straws

#20 tailgated by a dart - velcro tape, toy car, toy dart gun using rubber darts, stopwatch, meterstick, balance

These are the very inexpensive labs out of the first 20 in the book. Later in the book, there are more labs that require equipment, but you could probably do about 1/3 of the experiments in the book without spending more than $50 total if you happen to have things like skateboards and marbles and Hot Wheels cars and wood planks lying around.