Menu

Make Up ~ Feel like a beginner

Negin, check out CharismaStar on YouTube. She is local to me, my dd & I know her IRL. She did win a NYC brand-sponsored contest, but was doing makeup tutorials long before that. She's got some pretty outlandish looks, but don't let that scare you, she's also got some very good "natural everyday" ones. You can use any brand for any of the tutorials, and if unsure, I'm sure the hive can recommend the best product for a specific need.

I've never seen her. I'll have to look her up. Good for her winning that contest. :)

Do you have any good drug store brands that you'd recommend or stuff that won't break the bank? I don't even know where else to look. I have an ULTA, Sally Beauty, and most major chain stores nearby.

What type of makeup are you looking for? Sometimes a drugstore brand will have a good product here or there, but not necessarily across the whole line. What were you looking to get?

Negin, check out CharismaStar on YouTube. she's also got some very good "natural everyday" ones.

Thank you :).

I searched but couldn't find the natural-look videos. If you have the time and know the link/s, would really appreciate it.

For makeup tutorials, Lisa Eldridge is very good IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/user/lisaeldridgedotcom

She's not a teeny bopper, which is nice :)

Thanks off to look and then get back to this thread. :D

Glad you're getting so good ideas op and thanks for the inspiration ladies! Thanks to this thread I went out and bought some foundation and applicator sponges and applied a mini mask (all like I used to 15 years or more ago), and love it. Makes such a huge diff. for me, brings out my eyes for one and I look fresher, more awake or something!

*I bought the same foundation I used to use Revlon Colrstay for oily/combo skin (as recommended in The Beauty Bible by Paula Begoun) in Ivory and it's still perfect. Yay! :) Reviews: http://www.makeupalley.com/product/x_showreview.asp/page=1/pagesize=20/ItemID=13842/ I prefer a mini mask to a tinted moisturizer because I like the same natural looking and non heavy feeling, but I need a bit more coverage than tinted moisturizer gives and I don't like how shiny/oily my skin looks with TM. I do need to do my chin and eyelids, too, but it still looks realy natural. Mini mask info http://books.google.com/books?id=bII_4h77GI0C&pg=PA398&lpg=PA398&ots=SeTDSXnAK-&dq=foundation+mini+mask+paula+begoun&output=html_text

*I usually used Mineral Fusion blush in the color Flashy daily before starting up foundation again so put that on. A review: http://m.drugstore.com/mineral-fusion-blush-flashy/qxp346247 Expensive, but the color stay on all day and is perfect for my skin color. Really, as a reviewer said a littlle is all you need and it lasts a really long time.

*along with my standby Burts Bees replenishing lip balm (with Pomegranate Oil is my fav, lightly tinted, and matches my natural lip color)

*and some Black Wet and Wild Coloricon eyeliner lightly on my top and bottom lash line. Cheap stuff, but it doesn't smear or smudge throughout the day and is reaaly pigmented, so it lasts what seems like forever. Unlikely, but major score! Reviews: http://www.makeupalley.com/product/x_showreview.asp?ItemId=140693&Color-icon-Brow-&-Eye-Liner&Wet--n--Wild&Eyes

*I would like to find a concealer for occasional blemishes, so will look into that.

That's it and I'm loving it!

Eta Oh and I also cut light bangs today. Really cute and detracts from my crows feet, lol. So feeling pretty good these days about my appearance. Thanks again.

Edited by JENinOR

What type of makeup are you looking for? Sometimes a drugstore brand will have a good product here or there, but not necessarily across the whole line. What were you looking to get?

I don't know :lol: I don't wear anything now.

Good moisturizer, mineral makeup?, maybe a little color, lip tint of some kind, mascara?

I am a total newbie!

Good moisturizer, mineral makeup?, maybe a little color, lip tint of some kind, mascara?

I am a total newbie!

:) If you want a light coverage, tinted moisturizer type, Almay smart shade is nice and has some SPF. If you want more coverage then you could go with Revlon's Colorstay, Neutrogena Healthy skin, Maybelline's Dream Matte Mousse (don't use if you have dry skin, this one works best on oilier types) or Covergirl's Simply Ageless.

For a bit of color on the cheeks, Almay has a cheek tint

If you have an Ulta nearby, NYX has some really nice blushes, lipsticks, tinted lip balms and eye shadows. Prestige has some nice eye shadows and eyeliners and mascara.

For setting powder, the Elf one is good.

Their cream eye shadows are decent too if you like a soft natural color. :) HTH. :)

Oh, just wanted to add, if you need more coverage than a tinted moisturizer, but don't want the heaviness of a full face of liquid foundation, you can mix the foundation with your moisturizer, Aveeno's is nice, and make your own tinted moisturizer and vary the intensity of the coverage depending upon how much foundation you mix in. I do a 50/50 ratio, one pump of moisturizer to an equal amount of foundation, mix them together and then apply to the face. :) The Aveeno and the Colorstay go really good together and it lightens up the colorstay a lot. It's a rather heavy feeling foundation on its own. :) HTH.

Edited by Ibbygirl

I love mine. I had it on a wish list for years until I finally was able to purchase one during a Friends and Family sale at Sephora. It gets your skin super clean and exfoliates it at the same time.

Yes, can't wait to get mine, hopefully very soon.

Oh yeah Lisa is awesome! She's one of the few on YT that do tutorials for middle aged people.

I saw a bit and really like her. :) Looking forward to sitting down with a cup of tea later and watching more.

Do you have any good drug store brands that you'd recommend or stuff that won't break the bank?

Paula Begoun's books and site should be helpful. I remember her once saying, many years ago on some talk show, how L'Oreal and L'ancome are basically the same thing - owned by the same company. Stuff like that. She knows her stuff and tests them all out.

and some Black Wet and Wild Coloricon eyeliner lightly on my top and bottom lash line.

I used to do the whole black eyeliner thing on my top and bottom lashes also. I've been wondering if this is still "in" or not. Not even sure if I want to do the whole eye make up thing or not. I think I might just start out simple and easy and possibly add in eye make up several months from now, if at all. :confused:

I could post a pic if anyone wants to see this "look" or the colors on a person.

Yes, please share. :)

I am a total newbie!

I hear you. I take pretty good care of my skin, which, to me, is more important than make up. I only use tinted or clear lip balm. I'm going to slowly work my way back up. Again, not sure about the whole eye make up thing.

I love this thread and so appreciate everyone's helpful tips and suggestions. :grouphug:

:) If you want a light coverage, tinted moisturizer type, Almay smart shade is nice and has some SPF. If you want more coverage then you could go with Revlon's Colorstay, Neutrogena Healthy skin, Maybelline's Dream Matte Mousse (don't use if you have dry skin, this one works best on oilier types) or Covergirl's Simply Ageless.

For a bit of color on the cheeks, Almay has a cheek tint

If you have an Ulta nearby, NYX has some really nice blushes, lipsticks, tinted lip balms and eye shadows. Prestige has some nice eye shadows and eyeliners and mascara.

For setting powder, the Elf one is good.

Their cream eye shadows are decent too if you like a soft natural color. :) HTH. :)

Oh, just wanted to add, if you need more coverage than a tinted moisturizer, but don't want the heaviness of a full face of liquid foundation, you can mix the foundation with your moisturizer, Aveeno's is nice, and make your own tinted moisturizer and vary the intensity of the coverage depending upon how much foundation you mix in. I do a 50/50 ratio, one pump of moisturizer to an equal amount of foundation, mix them together and then apply to the face. :) The Aveeno and the Colorstay go really good together and it lightens up the colorstay a lot. It's a rather heavy feeling foundation on its own. :) HTH.

Pardon me a bit more while I show my newness to the world of make up...

So I start with moisturizer and foundation/tinted moisturizer to even out skin tone, correct?

I have a little bit of mineral make up left from a small/sample of it...is that instead of foundation? It was a neutral/nude color.

Does the cheek color go on with fingers? or a brush?

Brown or black mascara?

What is setting powder for?

Here's me IMG_5400.jpg

So I start with moisturizer and foundation/tinted moisturizer to even out skin tone, correct?

Okay, there are many types of face makeup. There is a powder form (mineral makeup), liquid form (foundation), and cream form (cream foundation).

All of these are full coverage and will cover redness, blemishes, scars etc. The downside to full coverage is that they can feel heavy (and mask like) on the face, although some full coverage foundations are less heavy than others (Nars Sheer Glow is comfortable to wear).

Mineral makeup can accentuate dry patches and (on me) it slides off in heat and humidity (which I live in) so it's super important to exfoliate and moisturize if you're a mineral makeup wearer.

For me, I prefer liquids and creams (again my personal preference) because IMO they hold up better, give a more dewy youthful look and last longer on my face.

Tinted moisturizers are a hybrid of foundation and moisturizer. You can buy one like Laura Mercier's or the Almay Smart Shade or you can make your own if there is a foundation you love, but it's just a little heavy. Tinted moisturizers blend into the skin and give a light coverage so you can still see the natural skin underneath. You get the "my skin but better" look with a tinted moisturizer. They are also the most comfortable to wear. They blend into the skin and just deposit a little color to even out the skin tone. I don't even feel it on my face when I wear it.

I have a little bit of mineral make up left from a small/sample of it...is that instead of foundation? It was a neutral/nude color.

Is it your flesh tone? If it's transluscent it might be a setting powder. If it's your skin tone and you have a brush, give it a try for your face makeup and see if you like it.:) "Swirl, tap and buff" as the Bare Escentuals lady says. :)

Does the cheek color go on with fingers? or a brush?

A brush gives the best result.

Brown or black mascara?
With your coloring I would say if you want your eyes to be emphasized, I would go with a black/brown (it's not as intense as a true black) if you want a more natural look then a brown.
What is setting powder for?

It's to "set" liquid foundations/tinted moisturizers. It's just a very light dusting of powder over the face that goes on after you've applied a liquid face makeup. It helps it stay on longer and it reduces any shine. :) Setting powder is applied with a powder brush.

Here's me IMG_5400.jpg

Your girls are ADORABLE!!! :) You have a lovely family. :)

Hope this is helpful and makes some sense. :p hehe

Thank you :).

I searched but couldn't find the natural-look videos. If you have the time and know the link/s, would really appreciate it.

Thanks off to look and then get back to this thread. :D

Eh, whoops. I just took a more careful look at her videos and only found 2 that are remotely everday-ish. They are titled "Summer Love" (not to be confused with the turquoise eyeliner look titled Summer Fun), and Pirates of the Carribean 4. ETA I thought of her b/c she always looks very nice at church & my dd watches her videos, but doesn't come out quite so colorful. :)

So, nevermind, you can probably find other tutorials that would better fit what you're looking for.

Edited by Annabel Lee

Rachel, you and your daughters are simply lovely. :grouphug:

They are titled "Summer Love" (not to be confused with the turquoise eyeliner look titled Summer Fun), and Pirates of the Carribean 4.

No problem. I'm giggling at the Pirates of the Caribbean look. :D

Okay, there are many types of face makeup. There is a powder form (mineral makeup), liquid form (foundation), and cream form (cream foundation).

All of these are full coverage and will cover redness, blemishes, scars etc. The downside to full coverage is that they can feel heavy (and mask like) on the face, although some full coverage foundations are less heavy than others (Nars Sheer Glow is comfortable to wear).

Mineral makeup can accentuate dry patches and (on me) it slides off in heat and humidity (which I live in) so it's super important to exfoliate and moisturize if you're a mineral makeup wearer.

For me, I prefer liquids and creams (again my personal preference) because IMO they hold up better, give a more dewy youthful look and last longer on my face.

Tinted moisturizers are a hybrid of foundation and moisturizer. You can buy one like Laura Mercier's or the Almay Smart Shade or you can make your own if there is a foundation you love, but it's just a little heavy. Tinted moisturizers blend into the skin and give a light coverage so you can still see the natural skin underneath. You get the "my skin but better" look with a tinted moisturizer. They are also the most comfortable to wear. They blend into the skin and just deposit a little color to even out the skin tone. I don't even feel it on my face when I wear it.

Thank you! That was very helpful info!

Is it your flesh tone? If it's transluscent it might be a setting powder. If it's your skin tone and you have a brush, give it a try for your face makeup and see if you like it.:) "Swirl, tap and buff" as the Bare Escentuals lady says. :)

It's lighter than my skintone IIRC.

A brush gives the best result. Cool, thanks!

With your coloring I would say if you want your eyes to be emphasized, I would go with a black/brown (it's not as intense as a true black) if you want a more natural look then a brown. Thanks, I'll get that. I think the eyes would be a easy way to make a difference.

It's to "set" liquid foundations/tinted moisturizers. It's just a very light dusting of powder over the face that goes on after you've applied a liquid face makeup. It helps it stay on longer and it reduces any shine. :) Setting powder is applied with a powder brush.

Again, thank you for all the information. I usually look at the stuff, feel lost and move on!

Hope this is helpful and makes some sense. :p hehe so helpful! I have enjoyed learning!

ooh, ooh, another question...should I toss out any older stuff I have laying around? Is it just harboring bacteria?

How long has it been there? Some makeup can be sanitized with rubbing alcohol, but others should be tossed depending on how old it is and what the product is.

Thank you! That was very helpful info!

It's lighter than my skintone IIRC.

A brush gives the best result. Cool, thanks!

With your coloring I would say if you want your eyes to be emphasized, I would go with a black/brown (it's not as intense as a true black) if you want a more natural look then a brown. Thanks, I'll get that. I think the eyes would be a easy way to make a difference.

Again, thank you for all the information. I usually look at the stuff, feel lost and move on!

Hope this is helpful and makes some sense. :p hehe so helpful! I have enjoyed learning!

I'm happy to be useful. :)

How long has it been there? Some makeup can be sanitized with rubbing alcohol, but others should be tossed depending on how old it is and what the product is.

Well I tossed the stuff from my wedding...Clinique from 11 years ago :lol:

I found a couple unused lipsticks someone gave me...probably 6 years ago, but I tried them on today and they don't look too bad!

The other stuff is probably in the 2-5 year range. Most of it hardly used. Eye shadows, mascara, a mineral blush, an eyeliner pencil

I bought a new moisturizer yesterday and I think my biggest "need" is finding a foundation to tone down the redness. I hope I get the color right.

The mineral stuff I have is colorless, but it does help cover the redness. Do you know does Target sell the Elf finishing powder in stores?

I am in MN. So it is dry in the winter and the summer is hot and sometimes humid (like it's been lately). Spring and fall are inbetween. So I'm undecided if I should do mineral or mix w/moisturizer for foundation. ETA: I am leaning towards something mixed w/the moisturizer

Edited by LifeLovePassion

Well I tossed the stuff from my wedding...Clinique from 11 years ago :lol:
lol Good idea. :p

I found a couple unused lipsticks someone gave me...probably 6 years ago, but I tried them on today and they don't look too bad!

The other stuff is probably in the 2-5 year range. Most of it hardly used. Eye shadows, mascara, a mineral blush, an eyeliner pencil

My rule of thumb is I keep it until it smells funky or has a change in consistency that can't be solved by shaking up. :p If you're concerned about bacteria, you can dip the lipsticks and the eyeliner in rubbing alcohol for a second or two and then let it air dry. I'd toss the mascara though. It's probably dried out anyway.

I bought a new moisturizer yesterday and I think my biggest "need" is finding a foundation to tone down the redness. I hope I get the color right.

If you're just looking for one to try that's not too pricey, just get the Revlon Colorstay and mix one pump of your moisturizer with an equal amount of the Revlon. Apply to the face and then smooth it out with a brush or a cosmetic sponge. If you use a sponge make sure to wet it first and squeeze out the water so that it's damp. Otherwise it will soak up all of your makeup into itself. :)

The mineral stuff I have is colorless, but it does help cover the redness. Do you know does Target sell the Elf finishing powder in stores?

Sounds like it's a setting powder then. Target should sell the ELF powder. :)

I am in MN. So it is dry in the winter and the summer is hot and sometimes humid (like it's been lately). Spring and fall are inbetween. So I'm undecided if I should do mineral or mix w/moisturizer for foundation. ETA: I am leaning towards something mixed w/the moisturizer
Well, you already have a powder and a moisturizer, why not get the Colorstay and experiment? Target has some decent makeup brushes there in the ELF studio line and Sonia Kaschuk sp? You could get the foundation and a couple of brushes and play around and see what you like best.

I don't wear the same foundation all year long either. I have some that I wear in the winter and others that I wear in the hotter months so it's good to have a couple of options on hand. :) HTH

Do you have a green stick? It looks like a lipstick, or like the flesh-colored concealer, only it's green. I use just a bit on and around my nose to cancel out the redness, then I put a light mineral foundation over that and it does wonders. I don't usually bother for my 5 minute every day make-up, but if I want to look a bit nicer or have an event or a reason to wear stage make-up I definitely use it.

my favorite one for being light, covering well, and holding up to the heat without sliding is this one.

Sorry to keep bothering you and I'm sure I'll keep asking more questions as I place my orders.

I know that you can't tell for sure, but based on what you've seen of photos and what you can tell from my coloring, not sure which concealer to get.

Tan?

Natural Medium (Light Medium)?

Thank you so much again. :grouphug:

Thanks for everyone for keeping this thread going. I love it and am learning so much. :D

Sorry to keep bothering you and I'm sure I'll keep asking more questions as I place my orders.

I know that you can't tell for sure, but based on what you've seen of photos and what you can tell from my coloring, not sure which concealer to get.

Tan?

Natural Medium (Light Medium)?

Thank you so much again. :grouphug:

Thanks for everyone for keeping this thread going. I love it and am learning so much. :D

Honey you're not bothering me at all! Neither is anyone else. I'm happy to be useful to someone if I can be. :) For the shade, I would say natural medium. That's the shade I have and I'm only a little lighter than you. I found this from a google search! :) Swatches of the four concealer colors. I think the natural medium would be the way to go for you. :)

Do you have a green stick? It looks like a lipstick, or like the flesh-colored concealer, only it's green. I use just a bit on and around my nose to cancel out the redness, then I put a light mineral foundation over that and it does wonders. I don't usually bother for my 5 minute every day make-up, but if I want to look a bit nicer or have an event or a reason to wear stage make-up I definitely use it.

no, I don't have. I'd need to smear it all over my face :lol:. I have lots of red undertone showing through.

no, I don't have. I'd need to smear it all over my face :lol:. I have lots of red undertone showing through.

You can get a green minerals powder. A little goes a long way. Just a quick pass over your face with a big, soft brush can really tone down the red, make a world of difference, and still look very natural. It takes 5 seconds.

Glad you're getting so good ideas op and thanks for the inspiration ladies! Thanks to this thread I went out and bought some foundation and applicator sponges and applied a mini mask (all like I used to 15 years or more ago), and love it. Makes such a huge diff. for me, brings out my eyes for one and I look fresher, more awake or something!

*I bought the same foundation I used to use Revlon Colrstay for oily/combo skin (as recommended in The Beauty Bible by Paula Begoun) in Ivory and it's still perfect. Yay! :) Reviews: http://www.makeupalley.com/product/x_showreview.asp/page=1/pagesize=20/ItemID=13842/ I prefer a mini mask to a tinted moisturizer because I like the same natural looking and non heavy feeling, but I need a bit more coverage than tinted moisturizer gives and I don't like how shiny/oily my skin looks with TM. I do need to do my chin and eyelids, too, but it still looks realy natural. Mini mask info http://books.google.com/books?id=bII_4h77GI0C&pg=PA398&lpg=PA398&ots=SeTDSXnAK-&dq=foundation+mini+mask+paula+begoun&output=html_text

*I usually used Mineral Fusion blush in the color Flashy daily before starting up foundation again so put that on. A review: http://m.drugstore.com/mineral-fusion-blush-flashy/qxp346247 Expensive, but the color stay on all day and is perfect for my skin color. Really, as a reviewer said a littlle is all you need and it lasts a really long time.

*along with my standby Burts Bees replenishing lip balm (with Pomegranate Oil is my fav, lightly tinted, and matches my natural lip color)

*and some Black Wet and Wild Coloricon eyeliner lightly on my top and bottom lash line. Cheap stuff, but it doesn't smear or smudge throughout the day and is reaaly pigmented, so it lasts what seems like forever. Unlikely, but major score! Reviews: http://www.makeupalley.com/product/x_showreview.asp?ItemId=140693&Color-icon-Brow-&-Eye-Liner&Wet--n--Wild&Eyes

*I would like to find a concealer for occasional blemishes, so will look into that.

That's it and I'm loving it!

Eta Oh and I also cut light bangs today. Really cute and detracts from my crows feet, lol. So feeling pretty good these days about my appearance. Thanks again.

I apologize, I saw this before and meant to comment back on it after I had finished reading all the posts and I realize I didn't. :) I'm glad it's working out for you. It's amazing how much better you feel with just a little bit of help isn't it? :)

I could post a pic if anyone wants to see this "look" or the colors on a person. I know that helped me so much. If none is *really* interested, I'm more than finethat, too.:tongue_smilie:

Sure! Post one up. :)

For the shade, I would say natural medium. That's the shade I have and I'm only a little lighter than you. I found this from a google search! :) Swatches of the four concealer colors. I think the natural medium would be the way to go for you. :)

Thank you again. :grouphug:

Yes, natural medium it is. That swatch is so helpful. :)

I may be posting later with more questions.

As I get older I find less is more. I stopped using liquid foundation. If I wear foundation, I wear a mineral foundation and go lightly. More often I use a BB cream. When it's melty-hot, I am just using a dab of concealer under eyes and around nose where I get red. Add to that nothing more than brown eyeliner, black mascara and some tinted lip balm or lip gloss. That's my everyday go-to look and it works very well for me.

When I am working, I add a bit more, but I'm still going easy on the foundation. It tends to settle into lines, get cakey or melt off and it looks horrible and AGING!

As I get older I find less is more. I stopped using liquid foundation. If I wear foundation, I wear a mineral foundation and go lightly. More often I use a BB cream. When it's melty-hot, I am just using a dab of concealer under eyes and around nose where I get red. Add to that nothing more than brown eyeliner, black mascara and some tinted lip balm or lip gloss. That's my everyday go-to look and it works very well for me.

When I am working, I add a bit more, but I'm still going easy on the foundation. It tends to settle into lines, get cakey or melt off and it looks horrible and AGING!

:iagree: with the less is more. I wear bb creams too a lot or tinted moisturizers and if I do go with foundation, it's a light one (like Nars') or cut with moisturizer. I definitely think women need to use a light hand as they get older. Too much heavy makeup is very aging.

No problem. I'll keep checking back. :)

I'm trying to order Becca Beach Tint in Watermelon. Everywhere seems to be out of stock. Do you know of any places online that may have it? I've been googling. Or should I try any particular stores that may carry it?

If not, other suggestions?

Thank you again, so much. :grouphug:

I'm trying to order Becca Beach Tint in Watermelon. Everywhere seems to be out of stock. Do you know of any places online that may have it? I've been googling. Or should I try any particular stores that may carry it?

If not, other suggestions?

Thank you again, so much. :grouphug:

Okay, I did some searching and found that this site still has your color in stock. :)

• 2 weeks later...
new question...is there any eye makeup that is less irritating? My eyes don't really like the mascara/liner/shadows. Any brands I should try?

I have trouble with mascaras irritating my eyes and I don't think my eyes are particularly sensitive. Is it mascara you're having trouble with or do liner and eyeshadows bother you even without mascara on?

Clinique color surge is supposed to be good for sensitive eyes. Laura Mercier too. I'm not too sure about drug store brands. I think Almay at one time was supposed to be good for sensitive eyes, but I don't know if that is still the case as I really don't have sensitive eyes other than to mascaras.

Hopefully someone else in your situation will chime in here. :)

I have trouble with mascaras irritating my eyes and I don't think my eyes are particularly sensitive. Is it mascara you're having trouble with or do liner and eyeshadows bother you even without mascara on?

Clinique color surge is supposed to be good for sensitive eyes. Laura Mercier too. I'm not too sure about drug store brands. I think Almay at one time was supposed to be good for sensitive eyes, but I don't know if that is still the case as I really don't have sensitive eyes other than to mascaras.

Hopefully someone else in your situation will chime in here. :)

Both. Even shadow alone usually bugs my eyes somewhat...mascara makes it worse.

Both. Even shadow alone usually bugs my eyes somewhat...mascara makes it worse.

If I were you, I'd go to a makeup counter and just play around and see what you react to. Sensitivities can be tricky and what irritates some may not be be irritating to others and vice versa. I would go to a Nordstroms or a Sephora and just try out different brands and see what works and what doesn't. You might want to try out some cream eyeshadows too. The ones they have now are really nice and stay on all day. I wonder if they would be less irritating than powder shadows since there is nothing loose to get into the eyes? I think your best bet is to just play around before you buy anything so you know if it bothers you or not. HTH. :)