Menu

Make Up ~ Feel like a beginner

again after more than 14 years of not wearing any.

I'm thinking of starting to wear make up again, but not too much.

I prefer a natural look as much as possible.

Any tips, etc.?

Should I just stick to Paula Begoun's stuff and her books?

I can't believe I'm asking this. I used to be the Queen of Make Up :tongue_smilie:. Used to wear it all. the. time. and lots of it too, may I add.

:bigear:

I am in the same boat, but was never a makeup queen. I used to wear it some times, but it has been several years since I have worn any.

Yes, and I would really prefer simple and low maintenance. I don't want to spend more than 5 or so minutes on it. I don't want to spend forever taking it off at night.

Any tips, etc.?

I can't believe I'm asking this. I used to be the Queen of Make Up :tongue_smilie:. Used to wear it all. the. time. and lots of it too, may I add.

I wear very light makeup. My routine is:

1. Apply a good, lightweight moisturizer or tinted moisturizer. I'm currently using Oil of Olay Total Effects Daily Moisturizer [Fragrance Free] or Sonia Kashuk Radiant Tinted Moisturizer. I never wear full-face foundation. It's so heavy and I don't need it. If your skin is clear, there's no reason to wear foundation, IMO.

2. Cover blemishes. I tap on concealer with my finger so it isn't heavy. I don't use it at all unless I have something that really needs to be covered, which is a rare occasion. I may sometimes tap a little concealer under my eyes.

3. Curl my eyelashes and apply lip gloss or balm. My favorite lip treatments are Burt's Bees Lip Shimmer, Pixi Succulent Lip Twin (Coral or Poppy Red), and Yes To Carrots C Me Shine (Red Hot).

4. I comb my eyebrows. I either spray a little hairspray on the eyebrow comb or use gel. I use the brush side to brush the brows up and away from my eyes, then the comb side to push them down into a straight line at the top of the brow. I can get away with not plucking for a few weeks by simply keeping my eyebrows groomed.

5. If I'm going out with my husband or I'm in the mood for more makeup, I add mascara to the outer tips of my upper lashes only.

6. In the wintertime, I use a soft brush to put on a little blush. If I'm using something with a brown or gold tint, I may even use the brush on my forehead, nose and chin like bronzer. You have to be careful not to overdo that, though. I skip blush in other seasons because I tend to have a little color from gardening.

I think the best tip is to think in terms of enhancing what you already have rather than covering your face with color and foundation. Full face heavy makeup is old-school and way, way out of date. You've looked good this long without it, so only add what you feel truly enhances your features and nothing else. I spend about 5 minutes on makeup in the morning, if that. I spend more time applying moisturizer than anything else. I confess: a lot of days I apply moisturizer and lip gloss and that's it. :tongue_smilie: I look for products that feel light and smooth and are friendly to sensitive skin.

Edited by Abigail4476

Any tips, etc.?

What kind of skin do you have? Oily, dry, combo, normal?

I need make up help too!

I'm 31 and have combo skin-very oily in spots and dry cheeks. I have an occasion blemish. To me my skin is blotchy, so I need some light coverage. Light olive complexion.

Like OP, I like natural and quick.

:bigear:

Are your cheeks taught feeling or do they get flakey dry patches?

I have used and liked mineral makeup. I also like Tarte's tinted moisturizer. It is a little more substantial than some other TMs but more sheer than most foundation by far. It is also a bit more forgiving in terms of color match because it is more of a sheer, even you out thing, vs. heavier coverage.

I don't do makeup. My 14yo is the only one who regularly wears makeup and she does it so well that most people have no idea that she's actually wearing it.

She uses tinted moisturizer and mascara and that's it.

She uses EOS lip balm, but that doesn't add any color. She said it's the best lip balm she's found. She has really dry lips, so it's been a wonderful thing for her.

My 5 min makeup routine for a natural look. Keep in mind I'm a pale redhead with invisilashes.

1. Moisturizer w/sunscreen

2. light dusting of minerals powder foundation

3. Smidgen of brow powder (pale brows)

4. Light brown eyeliner and brown (NOT brown-black) mascara

5. Tinted lip balm

For a little something extra I might do a bit of powdered blush or some orange-peach-copper eyeshadow to make my eyes look really blue.

Well, I'm no expert and I don't have the best/top of the line products, but here's what I do:

Foundation (I feel that I need it to even out my skin tone): currently, mark. foundation, though I just looked at the website and I think what I have they don't sell anymore. I was using bare minerals before, but just got out of the habit of going online and buying it. I don't really have a foundation that I LOVE. They are all so-so for me.

Powder: Just whatever. I think currently I still have cover girl loose powder so I'm using a little of that, just to set the foundation and take away any sheen.

Blush (I'm relatively pale and don't have naturally rosy cheeks - especially not in an attractive way. If they are rosy, it's because I'm working hard and sweating or something. :tongue_smilie: ): mark. blush, either light pink or a light coral color. Really, just whatever I can find cheap.

Eyeshadow: again, mark. stuff. I either wear light beige with a golden color (with the coral blush) or shimmery purple with gray (with the pink). Again, whatever I can find cheap.

That's all I do on a regular basis. Once or twice a week I do mascara (which is, once again, mark. because it's cheap and I don't use it often enough to justify spending much on it, especially since it has to be thrown out every 6 months or whatever it is) and eyeliner (which I believe is actually Mary Kay). I don't ever do lipstick (hate the stuff) but I do occasional lip gloss.

Thank you all so much. :grouphug:

I think the best tip is to think in terms of enhancing what you already have rather than covering your face with color and foundation. Full face heavy makeup is old-school and way, way out of date.

Thank you for these very helpful and detailed tips. :)

I really love your approach. Sounds very much like what I have in mind.

What kind of skin do you have? Oily, dry, combo, normal?

Combo. Shiny forehead which always shows in photos :tongue_smilie:.

I really like mineral makeup. Easy, quick, and natural. I use Bare Minerals, but there are so many brands now.

Is there a secret or tips to mineral make up application. I think I once read that it can be complicated. I guess I'm mistaken.

I have used and liked mineral makeup. I also like Tarte's tinted moisturizer. It is a little more substantial than some other TMs but more sheer than most foundation by far. It is also a bit more forgiving in terms of color match because it is more of a sheer, even you out thing, vs. heavier coverage.

Good. I love sheer and forgiving :D. I often had a problem with foundations and tinted stuff, including concealer, with picking the exact right shade. That part of make up was always my biggest pain. :glare:

I love Laure Mercier's tinted moisturizer. I apply it with a sponge. It's very light weight, natural looking, and does not make my super sensitive skin break out.

Good to know. Will consider this one also.

I watched Paula Begoun's videos and use products from her best Products list. At age 53, I finally feel like I know what I'm doing.

I should watch some of her videos also. I love her skin care products.

Quick question: if I plan on using concealer from time to time for those dreaded under eye shadows/circles, will I need to use foundation and powder also, or, hopefully, can I just get by with concealer?

I started using Garnier's BB cream. It has sunscreen, evens out my skin a bit and isn't like a heavy foundation.

My routine is this:

Garnier's Nutritioniste moisturizing face wash in the shower.

Garnier's Moisuritizer w/ anti-wrinkle serum

Garnier's BB cream

If my pores are the size of moon craters that day, I will use Benefit's Pore-fessional cream on my nose, but that's not a daily thing.

Benefit's Benetint on my cheeks for a bit of a glow.

Neutral eyeshadow (tans, browns, golds, coppers, whatever I feel like. Just a few swishes across my eyelids. Nothing complicated)

Mascara

Clinique's Almost lipstick in Black honey. I love these; they're more substantial than a gloss, not sticky, moisturizing and very light.

I have a mineral powder I might use if it's a particularly humid day and need to keep the shine down.

The make-up part takes maybe 5 minutes.

Just dry, where if I put make up on it doesn't always look smooth-so flakey I guess.

Combo. Shiny forehead which always shows in photos :tongue_smilie:.

Is there a secret or tips to mineral make up application. I think I once read that it can be complicated. I guess I'm mistaken.

Good. I love sheer and forgiving :D. I often had a problem with foundations and tinted stuff, including concealer, with picking the exact right shade. That part of make up was always my biggest pain.

Quick question: if I plan on using concealer from time to time for those dreaded under eye shadows/circles, will I need to use foundation and powder also, or, hopefully, can I just get by with concealer?

I think a tinted moisturizer would work for both of you actually. I agree with Shann that the Laura Mercier one is really good. I have it and it's very light. You don't feel it on your face like a mask and it lets your skin breathe while still evening out your skin tone and giving you some coverage. :) It's pricey, but lasts a long time and Sephora has sales occasionally where you can pick it up for less. :) BB creams are nice too, but the SPF sometimes can leave a white cast on the face, it's not so apparent on fairer skins, but on olive complexions it is more obvious.

Know that you don't have to apply anything to the entire face. If your skin is even toned and clear in some places but not in others, it's okay to only use it on the spots that need the coverage. Your goal is to have a perfect match to your skin anyway so it shouldn't show if you've got makeup or tinted moisturizer in one place, but not in the other, but if you have dryness, a good tinted moisturizer will help with that. :)

For shiny areas you can set with a powder and that will tone down the shine.

If you want that dewy look, I would suggest cream blushes or tints (just be careful if you use a tint as a little goes a loooong way). They give you a really nice natural flush to the cheek, but don't leave a powdery finish the way a typical blush does. I love love love Becca's Beach Tint. It gives the most gorgeous natural flush to the cheeks. Again it's pricey, but you only use one drop for both cheeks and it lasts a long time. I've had mine for a year already at least and it still has tons left. I have lots of cream and gel products for the cheeks and the Becca is hands down my favorite for a natural looking glowy healthy skin.

Absolutely you can use just concealer if that's all you need. If you can get a good match to your skin tone, I don't see why not. I find concealers one of the trickiest things to buy for women our age. I have really dark circles on medium skin tone and I always struggle finding a concealer that is pigmented enough to cover my circles, but that doesn't exaggerate fine lines. Some are too cakey (even the expensive ones) or too hard to blend pulling on the skin, some gravitate in the heat (I live in South Florida so humidity and heat is always a trial for my makeup) and wind up a mess on your face after a few hours. I've probably bought more concealers than any other type of product other than eyeshadows :p and my favorite one for being light, covering well, and holding up to the heat without sliding is this one. It does need a very light dusting of powder to set it because it has a slight sheen to it (I use Bare Escentuals Well Rested with a fluffy brush), but it is by far the best concealer I have for covering my circles and I have tried tons. It's even better (for me) than my Bobbi Brown, Eve Pearl and MAC concealers.

If you can get away with just a concealer, then do that. If you need a little more but don't want anything heavy, then a tinted moisturizer, or a light foundation mixed with some moisturizer can give you that little bit of help. Mineral makeup is good too as far as feeling light on the face, but it can accentuate dry areas so if you're going to go that route make sure you exfoliate your skin well to remove dry patches if you have them.

For eyes, a lot of companies now make cream eye shadows and some even have stick forms as well. One swipe across the lid, pat edges to difuse any harsh lines and you're golden. A little mascara and you're out the door. The Becca Beach tint can be used on the lips as well so you can have your whole face done in minutes with just a few products if you want a natural my face, but better look.

I hope this is helpful. I'm quite a makeup junkie and have bought lots of stuff and have learned quite a bit through trial an error so feel free to ask about certain products. Chances are I might have it! :p hehehe

I hope this is helpful to you. :)

This is great, even though I thread hijacked, thank you!

Now about the lips. Mine are rather large and too much color makes me look like a clown, I usually use gloss but it wears off fast and my hair always gets stuck in it. Any light lipsticks out there, that last a while?

Now about the lips. Mine are rather large and too much color makes me look like a clown, I usually use gloss but it wears off fast and my hair always gets stuck in it. Any light lipsticks out there, that last a while?

Revlon came out with a new product called 'Lip butters" that are very moisturizing and have a slight color to them. They are like a cross between a lipstick and a lip balm and leave a sheer wash of color. They're not sticky at all. I think L'oreal came out with their own version as well. :)

It sounds like mineral makeup would be perfect for you! I really like Mary Kay's line. A little goes a long way, and you look natural afterward.

Start with a quality moisturizer that will not make your skin oily. Then, I use concealer for under my eyes and for any blemishes and red areas (under my nose, esp) to even my skin. Then I brush on the mineral make-up starting at my nose and moving outward. Then, a couple of swipes of blush for my cheeks, brown or grey eyeliner around my eyes, and a neutral mineral eye shadow. A tiny bit of mascara on the tips of my lashes finishes my face. It takes 5 minutes or less to get ready.

Have you tried tinted lip balms? Like Burts Bees? Some have very little color, so you could stay close to your own lip color and add a little moisture and shine to enhance your natural look without putting too much color on your lips.

I really like Lauren Hutton's face "discs". It has everything I need for a natural look in one palette - concealer, undereye concealer, eyebrow powder, blush, contour, lip balm (which I use as wax over my brows), a contour powder she calls "nose and pooch", and powder eye liner. There is a card inside the disc that shows how to use everything, and it's all color coded so it's foolproof. I can do a basic face in under 5 minutes. Its a little pricy, but I've had my disc for close to a year and it's still going strong. I bought mine on a sale on her website, but you can often find it on eBay or the shop at home TV channel websites.

I replaced two of the concealer circles with two more colored powder circles that I use as eye shadow, and put it all on over tinted moisturizer (Misscha BB cream) with a light dust of HD powder over top (ELF High Definition powder).

I also use L'Oreal Double Extend Beauty Tubes mascara. It creates little tubes around your lashes and they really stay put. I get raccoon eyes with everything else, but haven't had that problem with this. It's the only mascara I've bought again and again.

For lipstick, I really like Almost Lipstick in Black Honey by Clinique. It's a sheer, my lips but better lipstick that is moisturizing and looks good on just about every skin tone.

I keep Garnier's undereye roller concealer in my purse for touch ups - I have naturally dark circles and a 4 month old, so I need touch ups!

Oh, I almost forgot: PRIMER! This is the key to looking like my skin is even and not flaking! Don't laugh, but I use Monistat anti-chafe gel, which is a trick I learned about on a beauty blog. It has the same ingredients as the very pricy Smashbox primer, but is really cheap. I mix it with a tiny bit of tinted moisturizer and apply all at once for a super smooth finish.

I usually go all out with make up (just because I love to do it), but on days wihen I'm short on time I'll do a quick natural look with:

Clinique tinted sunscreen (light, not greasy)

Josie Maran Argan color stick for cheeks and lips (love this stuff!)

Black mascara

Concealer under eyes

A little powder on brows

Hello Flawless powder by Benefit for a little more coverage

Thanks again everyone for your very helpful tips. :grouphug:

I started using Garnier's BB cream. It has sunscreen, evens out my skin a bit and isn't like a heavy foundation.

My mom just got this. :)

Back in my make-up wearing days, I loved the stuff by Benefit also.

I think a tinted moisturizer would work for both of you actually. I agree with Shann that the Laura Mercier one is really good. apparent on fairer skins, but on olive complexions it is more obvious.

Yes, I keep hearing good things about the Laura Mercier one also. I think this was what Charla Krupp suggested in her book. I love the idea of a tinted moisturizer so much more than foundation. I really dislike foundation. :glare: And when it comes to powder, I really don't want it to show. Obviously.

I love love love Becca's Beach Tint. It gives the most gorgeous natural flush to the cheeks. Again it's pricey, but you only use one drop for both cheeks and it lasts a long time.

I like the dewy look, especially as I get older.

I don't mind pricey when a product is very good.

I find concealers one of the trickiest things to buy for women our age. I have really dark circles on medium skin tone and I always struggle finding a concealer that is pigmented enough to cover my circles, but that doesn't exaggerate fine lines.

:iagree: and I have the same skin tone. I have found that my eye glasses help a bit with hiding my dark circles. ;)

(I live in South Florida so humidity and heat is always a trial for my makeup) and wind up a mess on your face after a few hours.

Same here. Lots of humidity and heat in the Caribbean.

I'll look into the concealer you suggested.

I hope this is helpful.

Are you kidding? You have been so incredibly helpful. :D :grouphug: :D Thank you!

I usually use gloss but ... my hair always gets stuck in it.

My dd and I complain of the same thing. Hair gets stuck in gloss and then hits our glasses.

I use Monistat anti-chafe gel, which is a trick I learned about on a beauty blog. It has the same ingredients as the very pricy Smashbox primer, but is really cheap. I mix it with a tiny bit of tinted moisturizer and apply all at once for a super smooth finish.

Wow. Interesting. :D

May give it a try.

Thanks again everyone. :)

I like the dewy look, especially as I get older.

I don't mind pricey when a product is very good.

:iagree: and I have the same skin tone. I have found that my eye glasses help a bit with hiding my dark circles. ;)

Same here. Lots of humidity and heat in the Caribbean.

I'll look into the concealer you suggested.

Are you kidding? You have been so incredibly helpful. :D :grouphug: :D Thank you!

:) I'm glad to be helpful. :) Yeah, hot humid weather is a real challenge for makeup. I like a lot of the cream products because the ones they make now are excellent and don't budge once they "set". Many of them are waterproof as well so they don't slide all over your face or come off with sweat the way powder products do.

is the Becca Beach tint in action. I have this same shade and it's gorgeous. :)

Another plug for the Revlon lip butters. I like gloss (I have short hair so no issues with the hair sticking, but I hear you on that!), kind of dislike how dry most lipstick makes my lips feel, but I really like the lip butters. I haven't tried the Loreal ones yet but I have about 6 of the revlon ones. With your coloring, you might like the Fig one. The Red Velvet is one of my all time favs; I never wear red lipstick but this is like a sheer, nice red. Brown sugar is nice too. I am not as dark or olive as you, but have yellower undertones, dark hair and eyes, etc. and I like those. Maybe you will, maybe you won't, but check those out :)

is the Becca Beach tint in action. I have this same shade and it's gorgeous. :)

I really like this and will most likely order it very soon. Thank you so much. :D

Another plug for the Revlon lip butters.

Thank you so much. Will look into these also. :)

I really like this and will most likely order it very soon. Thank you so much. :D

:) It really is gorgeous. I have some of the Tarte cheek stains and they always feel tacky on the cheeks. The Becca looks and feels absolutely natural. It has good things for your skin in it as well. I don't even feel it on my face at all when I wear it and it is sweat proof. :) Dermstore.com sells it and they often have 20% off sales too so maybe you luck out. :) You can always get it from Becca as well. :)

:) It really is gorgeous. I have some of the Tarte cheek stains and they always feel tacky on the cheeks. The Becca looks and feels absolutely natural. It has good things for your skin in it as well. I don't even feel it on my face at all when I wear it and it is sweat proof. :) Dermstore.com sells it and they often have 20% off sales too so maybe you luck out. :) You can always get it from Becca as well. :)

Thanks again so much. :grouphug:

Can't wait to soon start ordering. :D

Ibbygirl and others who have all been so incredibly helpful to me here, I really hope that you don't mind me bothering you with more questions.

We'll be traveling to the U.S. quite soon. I would really prefer to do most of my make up shopping online as much as is reasonably possible - due to shortage of time, convenience, an impatient family who'd rather be anywhere than in a department store for a few hours, etc.

Of course, some of it requires getting the right shade. I have to say that the more complicated it all gets, the more annoyed and impatient I become ;) :lol:.

So here are some questions. I have these on my amazon wish list (and am open to ordering them from other places if better). Please, if you have time, let me know if I'm doing something wrong or should only get something from a department store, etc.

My skin is probably a medium olive, not very dark.

My skin is fine and I try to take care of it as much as I can.

My only concern are really my dark under eye shadows.

I want a natural look as much as possible. I want low-maintenance.

It's been YEARS since I wore make up and I am truly out of touch.

1. Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer in Nude

2. To probably be applied with a good sponge

3. Concealer that Ibbygirl recommended - probably in Natural Medium :confused:

4. Powder if needed in Summer Bisque (reviews seem to say that this might be the best shade for my complexion) applied with this brush

5. Becca Beach Tint - probably in Watermelon - for cheeks and even lips - Ibbygirl, one applies this with a brush, right? Guess I need to view that You Tube video again.

6. Burt's Bees Lip Shimmer OR Tinted Lip Gloss - which I have plenty of already

7. For daily, casual look - which is most of the time in my case - I probably won't be wearing eye make up. Maybe just mascara, but I don't really need it. Can I get away with just the above?

Not sure what direction to go and if I should do eye make up. My dh really dislikes make up already. I know he'll hate too much of it.

I used to do the whole black eyeliner thing and tons of black mascara. I've never even tried the eyeshadows on the stick that one can swipe across easily. Not even sure what color/s to go with.

Ibbygirl and others who have all been so incredibly helpful to me here, I really hope that you don't mind me bothering you with more questions.

We'll be traveling to the U.S. quite soon. I would really prefer to do most of my make up shopping online as much as is reasonably possible - due to shortage of time, convenience, an impatient family who'd rather be anywhere than in a department store for a few hours, etc.

Of course, some of it requires getting the right shade. I have to say that the more complicated it all gets, the more annoyed and impatient I become ;) :lol:.

So here are some questions. I have these on my amazon wish list (and am open to ordering them from other places if better). Please, if you have time, let me know if I'm doing something wrong or should only get something from a department store, etc.

My skin is probably a medium olive, not very dark.

My skin is fine and I try to take care of it as much as I can.

My only concern are really my dark under eye shadows.

I want a natural look as much as possible. I want low-maintenance.

It's been YEARS since I wore make up and I am truly out of touch.

1. Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer in Nude

2. To probably be applied with a good sponge

3. Concealer that Ibbygirl recommended - probably in Natural Medium :confused:

4. Powder if needed in Summer Bisque (reviews seem to say that this might be the best shade for my complexion) applied with this brush

5. Becca Beach Tint - probably in Watermelon - for cheeks and even lips - Ibbygirl, one applies this with a brush, right? Guess I need to view that You Tube video again.

6. Burt's Bees Lip Shimmer OR Tinted Lip Gloss - which I have plenty of already

7. For daily, casual look - which is most of the time in my case - I probably won't be wearing eye make up. Maybe just mascara, but I don't really need it. Can I get away with just the above?

Not sure what direction to go and if I should do eye make up. My dh really dislikes make up already. I know he'll hate too much of it.

I used to do the whole black eyeliner thing and tons of black mascara. I've never even tried the eyeshadows on the stick that one can swipe across easily. Not even sure what color/s to go with.

Negin, go to this blog and enter your details in the boxes and it will give you a list of all of the shades in different brands that are similar to your tone. It's a great tool if you know what shade you are in one brand, but not in another so if you can't see it in person you can make an educated choice choosing the right shade.

Can you upload a pic of yourself so we can see clearly what skin tone you have now? There's nothing worse than buying a gorgeous makeup in a shade you can't use. I personally think the Nude tinted moisturizer might be too light for you, but I won't know for sure without a pic. :) As for application, you can apply the tinted moisturizer with just your fingers. It blends into the skin so a brush or blender isn't really necessary the way it is with foundation.

You can get the bye bye under eye at Beauty.com for a lot less than amazon. They have free shipping too and no taxes and are pretty quick as well. I usually get my order days after I place it. They also sell Laura Mercier too. :) It's good to have a setting powder, but again, see if you can post a pic before buying anything so we can help you get the right shade. :)

Edited by Ibbygirl

My 14yo LOVES the tutorials that Michelle Phan posts on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/user/michellephan?feature=results_main

These look good. Bookmarking for later. Thank you. :)

I particularly like one of her videos - the Natural Parisian Look. :D

Negin, go to this blog and enter your details in the boxes and it will give you a list of all of the shades in different brands that are similar to your tone.

Can you upload a pic of yourself so we can see clearly what skin tone you have now?

Thank you, thank you, thank you. :grouphug: You've been so incredibly helpful.

I will go to that blog and follow the tips you've suggested.

Attaching a few pictures - hope it works.

post-16151-1353508712943_thumb.jpg

post-16151-13535087129885_thumb.jpg

post-16151-13535087130254_thumb.jpg

post-16151-13535087130512_thumb.jpg

post-16151-13535087130904_thumb.jpg

These look good. Bookmarking for later. Thank you. :)

I particularly like one of her videos - the Natural Parisian Look. :D

Thank you, thank you, thank you. :grouphug: You've been so incredibly helpful.

I will go to that blog and follow the tips you've suggested.

Attaching a few pictures - hope it works.

Okay, trying to judge from the pictures, it looks like you would be somewhere in the NC 30's in MAC foundation. This is a good one to know for sure because MAC is so well known it's a lot easier to find your shade in a different brand if you know exactly what you are in MAC's brand. In some of the pictures you look like you could be a NC30, in others you look more like a NC35 or 37. If there's a way you can get to a MAC counter and get a match, that would be the most helpful to you. It's free and you're not obligated to buy anything so don't worry about that part. hehe Based on the Foundation Matrix though, you'll either be a Nude or Sand in the Laura Mercier (if you're a MAC NC30) or you'll be a Fawn, Sand or Almond in the Laura Mercier if you're a NC35 or 37. If you can't get to a MAC counter and have to pick one and hope for the best, I think you should get Sand since it's in both lists. hehe

Your Bare Minerals powder looks like a good fit.

You don't need a sponge for the tinted moisturizer, just use your fingers to blend it in and get into the crevices around your nose, eyes and chin. Blend until is soaks in and becomes one with your skin. Do the concealer after. Just put a tiny tiny dot on your finger tip, rub your two fingers together to warm it up and make it more creamy and spreadable and put it directly on the darkest parts of your circles and then work it out to the outer parts so that it thins out towards the edges. (I hope I'm making sense lol) It doesn't take much blending, then set with the powder and a fluffy brush to keep it in place and reduce the sheen. :) You really should use a brush with the powder though otherwise you'll put on too much and it will cake up and look ugly. hehe Any fluffy type of blending brush will do as long as it's soft and dense and fluffy. :) The main thing is that it is something like this so that it will fit your eye area and won't pick up too much color and make it cakey. For the Becca, you can use your fingers, but the best results are with a brush since it sets pretty quickly. You only have a few seconds to work with it before it sets so precision is key. Once it sets it doesn't come off til you take it off with soap and water. A brush that is something like this would be good for the Becca. You only want to get it just on the tips and of the bristles and then apply it in a circular motion. You want a stippling type brush for this for best results. :)

Hope this is helpful to you.:)

I love this thread. Thanks for the info, I'm gonna have to start with the youtube links posted.

One word of warning about the Youtube girls. Many of them are given free products or are paid to use them in their tutorials and give them glowing reviews so that people will buy them. Michelle Phan is one of those. She's sponsored by Lancome. So just a head's up. By all means, watch for the techniques, but don't feel like you have to use the exact products that they use. HTH. :)

If there's a way you can get to a MAC counter and get a match, that would be the most helpful to you. It's free and you're not obligated to buy anything so don't worry about that part.

I will try to get to a MAC counter when we're in the U.S. It'll be good to know. When I lived in NY, I was trying to get the perfect foundation match and the make up guy (who would often appear on TV talk shows, etc. and was in high demand) came out on the street with me to make sure the shade was right. That was back in my make up days. :)

If you can't get to a MAC counter and have to pick one and hope for the best, I think you should get Sand since it's in both lists.

Yes, I'm leaning more towards Sand also. :)

Your Bare Minerals powder looks like a good fit.

You don't need a sponge for the tinted moisturizer, just use your fingers to blend it in and get into the crevices around your nose, eyes and chin.

Hope this is helpful to you.:)

This has been incredibly helpful. Thank you so much once again. :grouphug: Copying and pasting all your tips. And yes, it all makes sense. It's a good refresher course for me. :D

One word of warning about the Youtube girls. watch for the techniques, but don't feel like you have to use the exact products that they use.

Wow. That's good to know. Thank you for this.

I will try to get to a MAC counter when we're in the U.S. It'll be good to know. When I lived in NY, I was trying to get the perfect foundation match and the make up guy (who would often appear on TV talk shows, etc. and was in high demand) came out on the street with me to make sure the shade was right. That was back in my make up days. :)

Wow! That's dedication! :) Yeah, if you can go to a MAC counter while you're here it will help you tremendously with any future online purchase with another brand. MAC's foundation is kind of the standard that everyone compares everything else too so if you know your shade in MAC you can find it much easier in another brand. :) Macys, Nordstrom, Dillards all have MAC counters in them so any mall you go to you should be able to find a counter. :)

This has been incredibly helpful. Thank you so much once again. :grouphug: Copying and pasting all your tips. And yes, it all makes sense. It's a good refresher course for me. :D

You're very welcome honey. :) I'm happy to be of any help. :)

Edited by Ibbygirl

What about makeup remover? Do you use anything special or just regular soap?

For eye makeup I do. I use this stuff or some Mary Kay remover that I have also. Lancome's remover is supposed to be really good, but I've never gotten around to buying it yet. For the face, I usually wipe my makeup off with a neutrogena makeup remover wipe and then wash my face with whatever cleanser I'm using at the time. Olay's Professional cleansing tool is actually really good. I have a Clarisonic, but find I can't use it every single day so I got that Olay one and use it when I'm not using my Clarisonic and it does a really good job and is gentle. :)

Yeah, if you can go to a MAC counter while you're here it will help you tremendously with any future online purchase with another brand. MAC's foundation is kind of the standard that everyone compares everything else too so if you know your shade in MAC you can find it much easier in another brand. :) Macys, Nordstrom, Dillards all have MAC counters in them so any mall you go to you should be able to find a counter. :)

Thanks again so much. I'm going to make every effort to get to a MAC counter. :)

a Clarisonic

I'm hoping to get one this year. It's been on my wish list for the longest while.

Negin, check out CharismaStar on YouTube. She is local to me, my dd & I know her IRL. She did win a NYC brand-sponsored contest, but was doing makeup tutorials long before that. She's got some pretty outlandish looks, but don't let that scare you, she's also got some very good "natural everyday" ones. You can use any brand for any of the tutorials, and if unsure, I'm sure the hive can recommend the best product for a specific need.

I'm hoping to get one this year. It's been on my wish list for the longest while.

I love mine. I had it on a wish list for years until I finally was able to purchase one during a Friends and Family sale at Sephora. It gets your skin super clean and exfoliates it at the same time. I have to alternate it with my Olay cleanser though as the Clarisonic is a little too intense for everyday for my face even with the gentlest brush head.

For makeup tutorials, Lisa Eldridge is very good IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/user/lisaeldridgedotcom

She's not a teeny bopper, which is nice :)

Oh yeah Lisa is awesome! She's one of the few on YT that do tutorials for middle aged people. curtsey.gif