Menu

AAR Level 1 question

Do I stay on a lesson till it is mastered? We have hit the first fluency sheet and most she can read with out sounding out but there are some she is still sounding out. Do I stay on that till she can read them without sounding out or move on and refer back to the fluency sheet as we move along?

I hope this made sense. :)

Without recalling the exact lesson you mentioned, I will say that we try to get as close to perfection before moving on. If however, there is something we have been spending some time on and I can tell she needs a break, we will either keep moving forward and just review the problem lesson repeatedly or - if the lesson is a big one and needs to be in place before moving on we will just repeat older lessons and keep coming back to the problem pages.

I also try to find books that have a lot of the words (or rule) that we are struggling with and read those often...

Without recalling the exact lesson you mentioned, I will say that we try to get as close to perfection before moving on. If however, there is something we have been spending some time on and I can tell she needs a break, we will either keep moving forward and just review the problem lesson repeatedly or - if the lesson is a big one and needs to be in place before moving on we will just repeat older lessons and keep coming back to the problem pages.

I also try to find books that have a lot of the words (or rule) that we are struggling with and read those often...

great. Thanks!

I've been moving on even though my dd is still sounding out some words. There is lots of reviewing of previous words in future Fluency pages and with the cards. I know my dd just needs constant practice and the fluency will come. She is really motivated by getting to put up a new sticker on her chart for completing a lesson. I know know she would get really frustrated by having to read the same Fluency sheet over and over. If my dd was really struggling with a phonogram in the lesson, as she is I'm her current lesson about /th/, then we would stick with the lesson a bit longer. But, fluency is something that will come in time with lots of practice. I've already seen so much improvement with my dd's reading with AAR!

I've been moving on even though my dd is still sounding out some words. There is lots of reviewing of previous words in future Fluency pages and with the cards. I know my dd just needs constant practice and the fluency will come. She is really motivated by getting to put up a new sticker on her chart for completing a lesson. I know know she would get really frustrated by having to read the same Fluency sheet over and over. If my dd was really struggling with a phonogram in the lesson, as she is I'm her current lesson about /th/, then we would stick with the lesson a bit longer. But, fluency is something that will come in time with lots of practice. I've already seen so much improvement with my dd's reading with AAR!

I agree. I think I may just move on and have her practice the fluency sheets as "practice reading" since there is review.

For a fluency sheet I wouldn't just sit on it until she gets it all, that would be very discouraging. Not all lessons have something big to read IE: fluency sheet or story from the books, so I have just moved on and then will pull out the fluency sheet for review if the lesson seemed short and we could fit it in. Also she doesn't have to read the whole thing every time, you can just pick part of it for her to read. Here's something Merry posted on the AALP forums about this very thing

A child may need to read a word thirty times before it becomes a sight word (a “sight word†is a word that is readable without having to sound it out). Keep this fact in mind, and revisit the Fluency Practice page several more times over the next few days to give the child additional practice.

The child does not need to read the entire sheet before moving on to the next lesson. If the child has completed the rest of the lesson satisfactorily, move on to the next lesson. Do not expect perfection before moving on. Reaching the goal of fluent reading will be a gradual process over many lessons. For older children who struggle with reading, spend more time with the Fluency Practice sheets. It often takes more effort to remediate an older child, and more practice should be given.

Pay attention to the types of errors that your child makes outside of the Fluency Practice sheets. If your child misreads words that have already been taught, pull out the related Fluency Practice sheet and use the sheet for additional practice.

I agree with this. We went through the fluency pages only once, checking off each line as we finished them. This way she felt like she was making good progress, even if we didn't finish a full lesson that day.

Anywords ds has struggled with I make note of to review mroe often but we proceed to the next lesson. I would rather have him at 90% and advancing, than sitting at a standstill waiting for 100% all that does is frustrate him and make him give up too easily. For ds if he thinks there is a penalty for getting it wrong (as in staying on a lesson longer not a simple x) than he doesn't even want to try. If he was getting a lot of words on the fluency page wrong I would not move on but 5 or less no problem