Menu

Core Knowledge Sequence

LNC

I'm considering printing this out- I see some gaps when I'm reading through. I could highlight in a different color for for each child.

http://www.coreknowledge.org/mimik/mimik_uploads/documents/480/CKFSequence_Rev.pdf

I have read some of E.D. Hirch's books and I really agree that background knowledge is key to reading comprehension and the ability to read and understand high level lit.

So, do you think printing all 285 pages of the Core Knowledge sequence and implementing gaps is sufficient for 6th and 8th graders?

Or should I go ahead and buy the What Your _____ Grader Needs to Know... series, 1rst-6th?

I think we have covered a lot of what is in those books, so I'm thinking the Sequence download is sufficient... Any advice?

Hi, I've used the CK sequence alot, too...but it has been easier to just buy the books. I have the 1st grade, 3rd grade and 4th grade books and my kids really enjoyed the stories out of them. I also used them to teach math and science to one of my kids last year. I think the books are definitely better than printing out the sequence!

Also, wanting to add: I agree with Hirsch.

Edited by starrbuck12

Well, you have a couple of questions -- as for printing, I would never print that many pages -- much too bulky to store.

Please, please consider getting Books to Build On. The suggestions are great, plus it serves as a good reminder of what topics to cover. Amazon $15.98. I use my copy constantly.

I have the published CK Sequence book and hardly ever use it. Not to say that it isn't great, just that other CK books cover the same material in a more inspiring way. The NTK books pack a lot of info in a small space.

If you are really into CK, you might want to look at the CK Teacher handbooks, but they would be too pricey (IMO) if you are doing CK as a supplement.

Well, you have a couple of questions -- as for printing, I would never print that many pages -- much too bulky to store.

Please, please consider getting Books to Build On. The suggestions are great, plus it serves as a good reminder of what topics to cover. Amazon $15.98. I use my copy constantly.

I have the published CK Sequence book and hardly ever use it. Not to say that it isn't great, just that other CK books cover the same material in a more inspiring way. The NTK books pack a lot of info in a small space.

If you are really into CK, you might want to look at the CK Teacher handbooks, but they would be too pricey (IMO) if you are doing CK as a supplement.

When you say other CK books cover the same material in a more inspiring way - are you referring to the What Your ____ Grader Needs to Know series?

Hi, I've used the CK sequence alot, too...but it has been easier to just buy the books. I have the 1st grade, 3rd grade and 4th grade books and my kids really enjoyed the stories out of them. I also used them to teach math and science to one of my kids last year. I think the books are definitely better than printing out the sequence!

Also, wanting to add: I agree with Hirsch.

:iagree: I have the books 1st-6th grades, and we're finally going to start using them as a basis for history and science exposure. I think they are totally worthwhile. Since my kids are older (roughly 6th & 4th grades), I plan to go through 2 books a year. :tongue_smilie: Glancing through, they seem to be well written and engaging - I like that the history in particular has a lot of stories that I think will connect with my kids.

I also saw a great suggestion here from another board member... she was going to use the poetry and sayings as copywork suggestions for her kids, so I am borrowing that idea and refilling my kids' copywork jars this summer.

Long way of saying I would get the books. You can often find them used quite cheaply!

Edited by momto2Cs

I use both the Sequence (which I have printed out up to my kids' current grade levels) and the books.

The Sequence is nice in that it is concise and is easy to use to spot gaps. I like to go through it especially at the beginning and end of the school year to help plan and to see what we need extra work in.

I also like the What Your _-Grader Needs to Know books. They are handy because they contain much of the literature and sayings, as well as some history and science, so you can just read it out of those books. However, I am not sure that the books would have everything that the Sequence lists, or in adequate depth. If you are planning to just use the books, you might read through the Sequence to double check in case you are missing something.

If you don't want to print out the entire Sequence, you could download it to your computer, read it, and take notes on the areas that are gaps for each child.

as a basis for history and science exposure. I think they are totally worthwhile. Since my kids are older (roughly 6th & 4th grades), I plan to go through 2 books a year...

Are you planning to simply read through them??

I will have to get my hands on a CK book since I don't know what they contain. I often see these books at the Good Will. :001_smile: It seems to me that gaps will exist regardless of our efforts to "fill them". I lose sleep over the "gaps" issue.

Are you planning to simply read through them??

I will have to get my hands on a CK book since I don't know what they contain. I often see these books at the Good Will. :001_smile: It seems to me that gaps will exist regardless of our efforts to "fill them". I lose sleep over the "gaps" issue.

For thoughts on gaps, I recommend this awesome blog post (not mine, wish it was!)

Yes, I plan basically to read through the history sections in the books once a week, and then we'll be exploring the kids' interests ("rabbit trails") the rest of the time with vintage history books and a bit of historical fiction here and there.

I really like that we'll be covering a variety of topics - for example, the 1st grade book talks about Egyptians, Sumerians, the Ice Age, Mayans, Aztecs, major world religions, etc.

Scientifically, I plan to use BFSU as a guide, and fill in with readings from the CK books, as well as other supplemental books. I also hope to follow up on the scientists discussed in the CK books.

Now I am thinking too about using the art and music sections in the CK books, since they give a broad overview of various parts of both, everything from art and music history, to schools of art, types of music, etc!

For thoughts on gaps, I recommend this awesome blog post (not mine, wish it was!)

Yes, I plan basically to read through the history sections in the books once a week, and then we'll be exploring the kids' interests ("rabbit trails") the rest of the time with vintage history books and a bit of historical fiction here and there.

I really like that we'll be covering a variety of topics - for example, the 1st grade book talks about Egyptians, Sumerians, the Ice Age, Mayans, Aztecs, major world religions, etc.

Scientifically, I plan to use BFSU as a guide, and fill in with readings from the CK books, as well as other supplemental books. I also hope to follow up on the scientists discussed in the CK books.

Now I am thinking too about using the art and music sections in the CK books, since they give a broad overview of various parts of both, everything from art and music history, to schools of art, types of music, etc!

Thanks for linking the "gaps" article. It puts things in perspective. :001_smile: So, it sounds like you may be using CK as your homeschool spine and it sounds wonderful. You are doing such a great job schooling your kiddos in YOUR way. It's so inspirational. Thank-you. :001_smile:

Can you tell me how you use the Sequence? Do you have it printed out for each child, then highlight or check things off as you've covered them? How do you remember what needs to be covered each week? I would be using it for 3 different ages. Would I do through each section (eg, language arts, math), and write down a couple goals to hit for each kid for the week? I'm trying to figure out how to implement CK - either as the spine of our HS this year, or as a supplement to the syllabus on amblesideonline. Thanks in advance.

I use both the Sequence (which I have printed out up to my kids' current grade levels) and the books.

The Sequence is nice in that it is concise and is easy to use to spot gaps. I like to go through it especially at the beginning and end of the school year to help plan and to see what we need extra work in.

I also like the What Your _-Grader Needs to Know books. They are handy because they contain much of the literature and sayings, as well as some history and science, so you can just read it out of those books. However, I am not sure that the books would have everything that the Sequence lists, or in adequate depth. If you are planning to just use the books, you might read through the Sequence to double check in case you are missing something.

If you don't want to print out the entire Sequence, you could download it to your computer, read it, and take notes on the areas that are gaps for each child.

Can you tell me how you use the Sequence? Do you have it printed out for each child, then highlight or check things off as you've covered them? How do you remember what needs to be covered each week? I would be using it for 3 different ages. Would I do through each section (eg, language arts, math), and write down a couple goals to hit for each kid for the week? I'm trying to figure out how to implement CK - either as the spine of our HS this year, or as a supplement to the syllabus on amblesideonline. Thanks in advance.

First, I choose language arts and math curricula which cover most of the CK goals. For example, I use Horizons Math suplemented with a few Singapore resources. I use Rod and Staff English for grammar, Spelling Power for spelling, and a combination of WWE, WWW, and IEW for writing. This covers most of the LA and math sections. Toward the end of the year, I read through the Sequence. I write down a list of things which we didn't cover or didn't cover well enough for each child. Before the end of the school year, I find or make worksheets or use other resources to go over these final points.

Regarding history, I do a world history overview for the first half of the year and American history for the second half of the year. In this way, we are always reviewing the big picture and relearning the basic outline of history. Then I add in lapbooks to do concentrated study on a few history subjects, loosely correlating this with the Sequence. I don't necessarily follow the Sequence in the same order for history, but I make sure that we cover all of the major subjects at some point (i.e. Ancient Egypt, Ancient Greece, Greek myths, Ancient Rome, Native American peoples, etc).

Regarding science, I find the BFSU basically covers the same subjects as the Sequence, though in a more engaging manner than just reading through the What Your _-Grader Needs to Know science sections. If there is anything extra that BFSU hasn't covered, I can check out library books to go over or review the relavant material.

I have used the music sections in the What Your _-Grader Needs to Know books to plan music appreciation. This has worked very well. I read a short section from one of the books, and I show the kids YouTube videos which illustrate the points. For example, there are sections about different kinds of instruments (wind, brass, percussion, strings). It is easy to find videos of people playing these instruments, conductors conducting an orchestra, etc.

The art section is also good to use in the same way. However, I have decided to go with Meet the Masters for art appreciation and fun art projects, and Mark Kistler for drawing lessons. These two programs cover a lot of the same areas as the Sequence.

Regarding geography, I made a list of all of the terms and locations the kids need to learn from the Sequqnce, and we are working our way through it. I also use The Complete Book of Maps and Geography, grades 3-6 for map reading practice. In addition, I printed out the geography curriculum from the Baltimore Curriculum Project which I hope will help us cover most of the goals for geography.

http://www.baltimorecp.org/lessons.html

For some of our bedtime reading during the year, I use the What Your _-Grader Needs to Know books. We read through all of the literature and poetry. We also go through any sayings and proverbs. I like the idea about using the sayings and proverbs for copywork. I think I will implement that this year for cursive practice with one of my kids.

If you need lesson plans for the CK Seuqence, you might order lesson plans or print out the draft version from the Baltimore Curriculum Project. However, I think this would be a little difficult to do, as the lesson plans are written for a teacher with a class of children all at the same grade level. We who homeschool have several or more children at various grade levels. It is generally not difficult to cover the LA and math CK goals individually with each child using standard, high quality curricula. However, with other subjects, particularly history, I think it is easier to combine children and aim to cover the CK goals over a period of years. Therefore, we cover all of the subjects in the CK Sequence, though not necessarily in the same order.

Hope this is helpful. :001_smile:

First, I choose language arts and math curricula which cover most of the CK goals. For example, I use Horizons Math suplemented with a few Singapore resources. I use Rod and Staff English for grammar, Spelling Power for spelling, and a combination of WWE, WWW, and IEW for writing. This covers most of the LA and math sections. Toward the end of the year, I read through the Sequence. I write down a list of things which we didn't cover or didn't cover well enough for each child. Before the end of the school year, I find or make worksheets or use other resources to go over these final points.

Regarding history, I do a world history overview for the first half of the year and American history for the second half of the year. In this way, we are always reviewing the big picture and relearning the basic outline of history. Then I add in lapbooks to do concentrated study on a few history subjects, loosely correlating this with the Sequence. I don't necessarily follow the Sequence in the same order for history, but I make sure that we cover all of the major subjects at some point (i.e. Ancient Egypt, Ancient Greece, Greek myths, Ancient Rome, Native American peoples, etc).

Regarding science, I find the BFSU basically covers the same subjects as the Sequence, though in a more engaging manner than just reading through the What Your _-Grader Needs to Know science sections. If there is anything extra that BFSU hasn't covered, I can check out library books to go over or review the relavant material.

I have used the music sections in the What Your _-Grader Needs to Know books to plan music appreciation. This has worked very well. I read a short section from one of the books, and I show the kids YouTube videos which illustrate the points. For example, there are sections about different kinds of instruments (wind, brass, percussion, strings). It is easy to find videos of people playing these instruments, conductors conducting an orchestra, etc.

The art section is also good to use in the same way. However, I have decided to go with Meet the Masters for art appreciation and fun art projects, and Mark Kistler for drawing lessons. These two programs cover a lot of the same areas as the Sequence.

Regarding geography, I made a list of all of the terms and locations the kids need to learn from the Sequqnce, and we are working our way through it. I also use The Complete Book of Maps and Geography, grades 3-6 for map reading practice. In addition, I printed out the geography curriculum from the Baltimore Curriculum Project which I hope will help us cover most of the goals for geography.

http://www.baltimorecp.org/lessons.html

For some of our bedtime reading during the year, I use the What Your _-Grader Needs to Know books. We read through all of the literature and poetry. We also go through any sayings and proverbs. I like the idea about using the sayings and proverbs for copywork. I think I will implement that this year for cursive practice with one of my kids.

If you need lesson plans for the CK Seuqence, you might order lesson plans or print out the draft version from the Baltimore Curriculum Project. However, I think this would be a little difficult to do, as the lesson plans are written for a teacher with a class of children all at the same grade level. We who homeschool have several or more children at various grade levels. It is generally not difficult to cover the LA and math CK goals individually with each child using standard, high quality curricula. However, with other subjects, particularly history, I think it is easier to combine children and aim to cover the CK goals over a period of years. Therefore, we cover all of the subjects in the CK Sequence, though not necessarily in the same order.

Hope this is helpful. :001_smile:

Mrs. Twain,

I am SO impressed with your homeschool. Wow. You are doing an amazing job with planning and being so thorough!! :001_smile:

When you say other CK books cover the same material in a more inspiring way - are you referring to the What Your ____ Grader Needs to Know series?

Well, the Sequence is a list of topics, but, if you want to figure out what to do, you have to go a step further. That is sort of what I meant -- the Sequence reminds me what to do, but I need more detail to get excited about it. maybe that's just me?

-- Books to Build On has such great book suggestions that I order or get many of them from the library, and I am set to go.

-- NTK has most of what you need. But I like books with pictures, more detail, so I don't use it that much.

-- Teacher Handbooks are superb if you want to cover a subject without overly much detail, but without missing the key points. These books guide you in a way that the NTK books do not. I cannot recommend these highly enough. If you are interested, ask the homeschool contact on the CK website for samples -- I said I wanted to see a whole chapter from any book so I could get an idea of the flow of the material. They emailed me a BIG sample (and I bought the book).

-- CK also sells little poetry books for each year. At first I was typing out the poems from NTK so that dc could mark up rhymes, alliteration, personification -- whatever was special for that poem. Eventually I got tired of typing and bought a poetry book for each dc.

-- at one point I got CK planners, but I did not find that they were worth it to me. JMHO.

-- oh, I got the Pearson history for one unit and found it way overpriced for what it contained. (Probably one unit is not a fair trial, but I never went back for more.)

Mrs. Twain,

I am SO impressed with your homeschool. Wow. You are doing an amazing job with planning and being so thorough!! :001_smile:

Well, the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

We will just have to wait and see if the kids turn out okay!

Thanks for linking the "gaps" article. It puts things in perspective. :001_smile: So, it sounds like you may be using CK as your homeschool spine and it sounds wonderful. You are doing such a great job schooling your kiddos in YOUR way. It's so inspirational. Thank-you. :001_smile:

Awww... :blush:

-- Teacher Handbooks are superb if you want to cover a subject without overly much detail, but without missing the key points. These books guide you in a way that the NTK books do not. I cannot recommend these highly enough. If you are interested, ask the homeschool contact on the CK website for samples -- I said I wanted to see a whole chapter from any book so I could get an idea of the flow of the material. They emailed me a BIG sample (and I bought the book).

-- CK also sells little poetry books for each year. At first I was typing out the poems from NTK so that dc could mark up rhymes, alliteration, personification -- whatever was special for that poem. Eventually I got tired of typing and bought a poetry book for each dc.

--

Glad to hear this about the TH, I just ordered one! :) The poetry book sounds very nice too.

Baltimore Core Knowledge Lesson Plans can be very helpful for those wanting to follow the core knowledge standards.

http://www.cstone.net/~bcp/BCPIntro2.htm

We are doing all of the literature lessons and loving every minute of it. Luckily we have a well stocked library.

I really liked the history lessons as well, but we just don't have time for them as we are sticking with The Story of the World for now.

The music lessons are really fun too!

I've read that the Sequence has more "details" than the What Your ____ Grader Needs to Know series. I have such a huge home library I don't think it would be a problem to find what I need to flesh it out. I'll pencil in a circle next to my son's gaps, and a checkmark next to my daughter's gaps. I can erase when mastered...

I can check out the Need to Know books from the library for idioms etc. I'm not using the Core Knowlesge materials as spines bc my children are past the age. I'm just reviewing gaps in music & art appreciation, geography and history for background knowledge for higher level reading comprehension.

Edited by LNC

I use the sequence with my kids, a book that is is out of print but follows the sequence is Core Knowledge sequence k-8, it breaks down the sequence in to month increments grade by grade. It has been perfect for my inner planner to implement and find resources.

I use the sequence with my kids, a book that is is out of print but follows the sequence is Core Knowledge sequence k-8, it breaks down the sequence in to month increments grade by grade. It has been perfect for my inner planner to implement and find resources.

I can get that on Amazon used for less that $10, but the download online is updated. I'm not sure what the difference are. Anyone know?

The book I have breaks it down month by month grade by grade. The pdf just has guidelines per grade. The book is Core Knowledge K-8 Guide: A Model Monthly Topic Organizer, CK no longer prints it since they now have the Teacher Daily Planner.

Edited by HootyTooty

The book I have breaks it down month by month grade by grade. The pdf just has guidelines per grade. The book is Core Knowledge K-8 Guide: A Model Monthly Topic Organizer, CK no longer prints it since they now have the Teacher Daily Planner.

Can anyone compare the two? K-8 and teacher ...

I want something that will extend through the 8th. Math is the only HS subject that will need to be tracked. I have just held bac on Language Arts and used logic-styled resources for science and history. I have been looking at the history guides and science guides by Katheryn Stout, i.e. History Guides.

I would love to have checklists from which to gather my goals and objectives. :tongue_smilie:

Would either of these fit my "want"?

Just a FYI, the Artner Reader's Guide to American History (scroll down the page), uses the NTK books as its spine, adding in nice lists of historical fiction to flesh it all out. We've been using it the past three years (we do two stream history, using SOTW as our world history) and find it easy to do and enjoyable.

Just sharing another way to get more mileage from those good books. :)

I want something that will extend through the 8th. Math is the only HS subject that will need to be tracked. I have just held bac on Language Arts and used logic-styled resources for science and history. I have been looking at the history guides and science guides by Katheryn Stout, i.e. History Guides.

I would love to have checklists from which to gather my goals and objectives. :tongue_smilie:

The CK Sequence is K-8, but the NTK books, the TH, and Books to Build On are K-6 (so far). OI don't think any of the above would fit your definition of checklist.

The NTK books have texts that youcan read to your child (or that your child can read).

As for the Teacher Handbook, I'll just quote something I posted a long time ago.

"I just got the Core Knowledge Teacher Handbook and it is incredible!!!

I have the first grade manual. I had hesitated a bit before ordering, because it costs $69, but it far, far surpassed my expectations. First, it is 390 heavy, glossy pages in a sturdy library binding. It is content-based, with about 100 pages each on LA and History/Geography, with other sections on Visual Arts, Music, Math, and Science.

Each subsection (poetry, Exploration and Settlement, etc) has a page with “The Big Idea†(one sentence), plus a chart of what students should already know, need to learn, and will learn in future grades. Then a section with vocabulary (some for students, some for teachers) and domain words (words teachers might want to use (like wooden ship, canvas sails, etc).

Next, an “At a Glance†section, with the key half dozen or so ideas. Then, the meat of the book, background info for the teachers, followed by review questions and “More Resources†(divided between children’s and teachers’). There are also helpful sidebars with teaching ideas, although the CK people emphasize that they do not advocate any particular teaching method. (Lesson plans – lots – are available on CK website free and on disks for purchase.)

I also got the CK Planner Workbook, which was a real eye opener. I probably would have scheduled history a bit each week. CK schedules in blocks, with, say, two weeks for Ancient Egypt, etc. (History would not be done every week.) For me, this is a great reality check, as I tend plan for too much."

Adding - the TH also come with a set of blackline masters.

CK publishes a booklet called Reading Instruction: The Two Keys that has hints about setting up reading "domains." (CK believes that subject knowledge is an important key to reading comprehension. For example think of trying to read about cricket if you have no idea what bowlers, overs, or wickets are.)

HTH

I use the K-8 Sequence mostly as a checklist.

You can download it for free and see if it will work for you.

http://www.coreknowledge.org/download-the-sequence

This has reminded me to get back to the checklist that I printed last summer! I'm afterschooling right now but it was helpful to see and identify gaps.

I ran across the New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy today at the bookstore. I didn't feel like carrying it home, so I didn't get it, but I'm wondering if I should go back. Has anyone used it?

Baltimore Core Knowledge Lesson Plans can be very helpful for those wanting to follow the core knowledge standards.

http://www.cstone.net/~bcp/BCPIntro2.htm

We are doing all of the literature lessons and loving every minute of it. Luckily we have a well stocked library.

I really liked the history lessons as well, but we just don't have time for them as we are sticking with The Story of the World for now.

The music lessons are really fun too!

I love BCP. We started off with SOTW in kindy and neither I nor my ds enjoyed it at all. Thankfully I stumbled across the BCP and we've been following their history plans ever since. I get books from the library for each lesson, both fiction & non-fiction, and then we read our way through history and I make up projects sometimes to go along. We also watch documentaries when we can - my ds has always loved documentaries so it works well for him.

Last year we used K12 for language arts and it pretty much followed BCP & CK step by step. I could have saved myself a lot of money and just followed BCP's LA.

I used some of the science from BCP but then we discovered BFSU last year and we're sticking with that. The yahoo group for BFSU is awesome and the author regularly responds to posts.