Menu

Nature journals for early elem-

We started nature journals today.

It was kind of a task for him :rolleyes: but he obliged anyway.

His first assignment was to scribble with the colors that he sees. He picked the green map pencil. I encouraged him to hold it like he would for writing. He kind of fiddled with it. Did a few quick scribbles, then scampered off again. It didn't help that it was a bustling morning at the park with a birthday party going on. But I was still proud of him for obliging my request.

Now to decide what to have him do next. He's only at the tracing and scribbling phases. Maybe collect some leaves to trace?

Do you keep a nature journal with your early elementary aged kids? What do you put in it?

We are going to try to "Nature Journal" this fall, too. I'm inspired by a workshop at last month's homeschooling convention. We've never done this before, so I'm not sure how much help I can be.

So far, this website is helpful:

Handbook of Nature Study

I also found this book at the library, but you may want to do a subject search at your own library to see what you can turn up. I haven't had time to do anything but browse through the book so far. I can't tell you whether it is good or bad for this subject.

Keeping a Nature Journal by Clare Walker Leslie & Charles E. Roth

If you figure anything else out, let me know!

Just a few ideas:

- leaf rubbings (put the leaf behind the page and rub over the page with the edge of a crayon)

- Dry some wildflowers between paper towels under heavy books, then when they are flat and try, use contact paper to seal them into your book

- Record rainfall amounts on graph paper during a rainy month, then tape it in.

- Plant some carrots outside and measure the height of the stem each day, graph, and tape in.

Basically, think of stuff that doesn't require drawing skill.

At that age I did more observing then drawing. Have a goal when you go on a nature hike...look for spider webs, tracks, mushrooms, seeds, red leaves....it gets the child to "look" as you hike instead of racing to the end of the path.

MAke 3d "journals" (what I call them). Collect seeds, rocks, feathers, leaves and flowers (pressed in the pages of an old fat book). Make a mobile with the feathers/leaves/ or pressed flowers. Keep a tray with things you find and magnifying glass. Encourage them to find something special to put in the tray.

Another idea is to take a picture then paste it in their book and write a label for them to do copy work.

As I mentioned, in the early years, the goal is to get them to observe, notice things in nature. By pointing things out, and having them look for a specific thing will get them to start looking and seeing things they would not have. As their writing/drawing skills increase you can add copywork, tracing, and drawing to their books.

We took walks around the area and dd either drew or collected. We used a binder and page protected, thick paper. After she found what she wanted to either draw or have, we pressed it/glued it in/drew it/etc, then I asked her to tell me about it and wrote down what she said. Here's a link to a post on my blog from 2008 or so. I don't think all the pics come thru, but you can probably see the wolf spider one.

At that age I did more observing then drawing. Have a goal when you go on a nature hike...look for spider webs, tracks, mushrooms, seeds, red leaves....it gets the child to "look" as you hike instead of racing to the end of the path.

MAke 3d "journals" (what I call them). Collect seeds, rocks, feathers, leaves and flowers (pressed in the pages of an old fat book). Make a mobile with the feathers/leaves/ or pressed flowers. Keep a tray with things you find and magnifying glass. Encourage them to find something special to put in the tray.

Another idea is to take a picture then paste it in their book and write a label for them to do copy work.

As I mentioned, in the early years, the goal is to get them to observe, notice things in nature. By pointing things out, and having them look for a specific thing will get them to start looking and seeing things they would not have. As their writing/drawing skills increase you can add copywork, tracing, and drawing to their books.

:iagree: That's what we do too.