Menu

where to start with Miquon?

craftyerin

I bought Annotations, First Grade Diary, and Notes to Teachers, along with the orange and red books. I'm not planning to use any of it for a while (spring at the earliest?), but I had read on here that Miquon required some time and effort on the part of the parent, so I'm getting a head start and familiarizing myself with it. Which to start with? Any suggestions or does it not matter?

I bought Annotations, First Grade Diary, and Notes to Teachers, along with the orange and red books. I'm not planning to use any of it for a while (spring at the earliest?), but I had read on here that Miquon required some time and effort on the part of the parent, so I'm getting a head start and familiarizing myself with it. Which to start with? Any suggestions or does it not matter?

I would suggest you look over Notes to Teachers for ideas on how to get started and the pedagogical ideas. Then read The First Grade Diary. And just breeze through it (rather than studying every detail) The FGD will take you through a year of teaching with the Miquon author Lore Rasmussen. Much of the "soul" of the Miquon style is in this book. You can always re-read to glean ideas.

The Lab Annotations has objectives and notes on every sheet in the student lab books and also has fantastic topical information on a variety of math operations and how to make seemingly "complex" ideas and concepts easily understood by children.

Would delve into the Lab Annotations after you get a sence of how to do math in a math-lab style.

Bill

And if you are a non-mathy, liberal arts person, I would recommend starting with the Education Unboxed videos to get an idea for math lab. I read most if not all of that darn Notes to Teachers and I could not see how it was supposed to work. The videos cleared it up instantly. Bill and I are very different style learner/teachers, so I just thought I'd give you another perspective for how it can work. :)

And if you are a non-mathy, liberal arts person, I would recommend starting with the Education Unboxed videos to get an idea for math lab. I read most if not all of that darn Notes to Teachers and I could not see how it was supposed to work. The videos cleared it up instantly. Bill and I are very different style learner/teachers, so I just thought I'd give you another perspective for how it can work. :)

:lol: I am non-mathy (history degree), and watching the Education Unboxed videos is exactly what made me decide that maybe I wasn't too scared to try Miquon! I've been getting rods out and letting my young four and young 5yos play with them and we've started to play some of Rosie's games in the "Getting to Know the Rods" section (missing rod in a staircase, etc). I'm encouraged that we can all learn math differently than I was taught, together!

Edited by craftyerin

perfect! thanks!

Best wishes to you. I hope this style of teaching/learning resonates with you and your child. We loved it here. The way of teaching is both mathematically deep, but also really clear. And it engages the child in making math theirs. There is also plenty of room for a parent/teacher to find their own style.

My only advice is to get a "big picture" sense of Miquon first. Oh, and don't freak-out when you open up the first pages of the Orange book if it like a little weird on first glance. Completely normal :D

Bill

Yes, of course. Do watch these videos too. Absolutely.

Bill

Oh, and don't freak-out when you open up the first pages of the Orange book if it like a little weird on first glance. Completely normal :D

Bill

I had read a warning of yours on another thread about that! When I pulled the workbook out of the box, I thought, "OK, let's see this alien IQ test Bill mentioned." Sure enough. I appreciate the warning. I would have been scared for sure!

I had read a warning of yours on another thread about that! When I pulled the workbook out of the box, I thought, "OK, let's see this alien IQ test Bill mentioned." Sure enough. I appreciate the warning. I would have been scared for sure!

Scared the heck out of me! :D

Bill

It worried me too!

While you're studying up on how to do it, leave the first book on your coffee table, with some Cuisinaire rods, and tell your kids it's a puzzle book and they can take a peek at the first page or so if they like. You might even tell 'em it might be too hard for them, if they're the kind of kids who will take that as a challenge. :D

FYI for any of you new to Miquon...I have been teaching Miquon "slowly" here. Just learning it myself. One of my dd's has quite a lot of "vision issues" (maybe dyslexia). A traditional math workbook would not work with her, but man...she has memorized what each color stood for faster than me. She really seems to "get it" with the c-rods.

Just an idea for any of you with a child struggling with your more text book/work book approach.

I just need to step it up and keep taking it to the next level.

So glad someone started this thread...thanks.

I am also studying up on Miquon. In addition to the books and videos mentioned I also have the Cuisenaire alphabet book, a book of Cuisenaire ideas, and the Cuisenaire Roddles set. I also just printed a book of "pre Miquon" games. Can't find the link right now, though. Will have to look for it.

Anyway, I'm still trying to rifle through it all and make sense of it. Just tried our first "math lab" and it was a bust so definitely more study needed. :/

ETA: here are the links

http://justfivemoreminutes.ca/2011/09/getting-started-with-miquon-math/

http://nurturedbylove.blogspot.com/2008/12/cuisenaire-discovery-book.html

I am also studying up on Miquon. In addition to the books and videos mentioned I also have the Cuisenaire alphabet book, a book of Cuisenaire ideas, and the Cuisenaire Roddles set. I also just printed a book of "pre Miquon" games. Can't find the link right now, though. Will have to look for it.

Anyway, I'm still trying to rifle through it all and make sense of it. Just tried our first "math lab" and it was a bust so definitely more study needed. :/

Thank you!

After reading several posts about Miquon, I'm open to trying it for my K5 son. He will be 5 next month, but can count to 100, skip count lower numbers, & do some basic addition. I bought Singapore 1A, but not sure I need to jump right in with it. I've seen a lot of recommendations for Singapore Essentials as well. Should I just do Essentials B & jump into 1A or do Miquon with Essentials? We are doing a pretty intense phonics/spelling curriculum, so I don't want math to be overwhelming for either of us since learning to read is our main priority this year.

I have used Miquon for years and never knew of these:thumbup1:

Aren't they AWESOME???:hurray:

After reading several posts about Miquon, I'm open to trying it for my K5 son. He will be 5 next month, but can count to 100, skip count lower numbers, & do some basic addition. I bought Singapore 1A, but not sure I need to jump right in with it. I've seen a lot of recommendations for Singapore Essentials as well. Should I just do Essentials B & jump into 1A or do Miquon with Essentials? We are doing a pretty intense phonics/spelling curriculum, so I don't want math to be overwhelming for either of us since learning to read is our main priority this year.

I used Miquon and SM 1A with my DS this year it worked out well.

The important thing is to just start playing with it and having fun. When dh and I used Miquon the first time through, 13 years ago, we had nothing but the six books: no Lab Annotations (didn't know there was supplementary material), not even Cuisenaire rods (the store that carried the books didn't have them, and Great Girl hated manipulatives anyway). We would just sit down on the couch with Great Girl and say "I wonder what we get to play next?" Nearly always, a glance over the page made it obvious what they were trying to get at. I'm sure all the other stuff and time spent in preparation would have made it go even better, but we didn't have the stuff and never prepared and it was still successful and great fun.

This afternoon, Great Girl got her AP Calculus BC score in the mail: 5.:party:

(Sorry, forgive the brief Mommy brag.) Anyhow, I credit Miquon with that 5. :D

Edited by Sharon in Austin
Fat-fingered typing

I have the alphabet book and have printed the pre-miquon book from the 2nd link. I can't decide if I see much value in either of those. Maybe I'm just not creative enough. I see much more value in the types of activities Rosie does with her 4yo in her videos. I'm hoping that getting to know actual Miquon will be good for us!

I haven't looked at that first link. I will do so, thank you!

I think either option would be great. My Kinder has been slowly working through SM Essentials book A. I also take a moment to do the extra activities listed at the bottom of each page. My plan is to start him in Miquon as soon as he finishes Essentials. No particular reason I chose this route. My oldest worked in the Orange book as a Kinder.

I love Miquon. My oldest has completed the program and I'll use it again with my other kids in a heartbeat. I only had Annotations as teacher materials. I tried to do most of the extra games and activities in Annotations along with the worksheets.

I have the alphabet book and have printed the pre-miquon book from the 2nd link. I can't decide if I see much value in either of those. Maybe I'm just not creative enough. I see much more value in the types of activities Rosie does with her 4yo in her videos. I'm hoping that getting to know actual Miquon will be good for us!

I haven't looked at that first link. I will do so, thank you!

The book is to get them familiar with the rods. My kids love board games so i think it will work well. I actually got the alphabet book to help my 4yo learn her letters. She is very tactile. But after looking at it, I discovered several pages missing. Grrr...

Bumping this back up to say that I have now read through Notes to Teachers and am about 1/3 of the way through the First Grade Diary. I'm reading through at a clip as Bill suggested and it's KILLING me not to be taking copious notes, but OMG, this is SO exciting! What I'm reading totally makes sense to me. I can see doing these activities with my kids and loving it! Feeling like a big geek right now, but I'm OK with that. ;)

Miquon, here we come!

Bumping this back up to say that I have now read through Notes to Teachers and am about 1/3 of the way through the First Grade Diary. I'm reading through at a clip as Bill suggested and it's KILLING me not to be taking copious notes, but OMG, this is SO exciting! What I'm reading totally makes sense to me. I can see doing these activities with my kids and loving it! Feeling like a big geek right now, but I'm OK with that. ;)

Miquon, here we come!

I knew it would kill you not to take copious notes...hence my admonition :D

I do love it when someone actually listens to me :tongue_smilie:

You can (and should) go back and grab ideas but best to be inspired by the whole approach. What I hope you experience—and I certainly did—is that you are not only inspired by some of the things Lore Rasmussen did, but that you are inspired to think of ideas yourself.

I did a lot of Miquon-like work adding base-10 flats (same scale as C Rods and these are 100 values) and modeling 3 digit numbers that we first learned with "math names" like 3 Hundreds 6-Tens 5-Units naming 365. Stuff like that.

MEP is a nice (free) companion if your child proves to enjoy materials that challenge them to think a little.

Bill

MEP is a nice (free) companion if your child proves to enjoy materials that challenge them to think a little.

Bill

Good! I have the first 10 lessons of MEP Reception printed, ready to start with my little ones while I study up on Miquon. Actually, my whole PK/K math plan this year is written down as MEP-R and c-rod play. I wasn't sure when/if we'd get to "actual" Miquon, but it's looking like it'll be sooner rather than later. :D

older than 3rd grade? I have tried Miquon several times with previous kids and couldn;t make heads or tails with it but maybe now with the Education Unboxed I can. Also Bill I think I know why I couldn;t figure it out each time I tried to make sense of it I was pregnant!!!

Why didnt I think of trying to figure this out when NOT pregnant.

You think Miquon could be used with kids older than 3rd grade? I have tried Miquon several times with previous kids and couldn;t make heads or tails with it but maybe now with the Education Unboxed I can. Also Bill I think I know why I couldn;t figure it out each time I tried to make sense of it I was pregnant!!!

Why didnt I think of trying to figure this out when NOT pregnant.

I taught 3rd grade pre-kids and yes, there are topics listed in the Miquon Annotations that are 3rd grade appropriate and beyond. Go for it!

:iagree:

While I think Miquon fills a special niche on the early-side (pre-K or K) of math education (for making the understanding of mathematical concepts really clear to young children, this feature doesn't stop with the introductory concepts.

The Lab Annotation book (in particular) helps introduce an understanding of some pretty sophisticated mathematical understanding that is beyond what is typically taught in 3rd Grade. As a supplement to other math programs it could definitely have a place beyond 3rd Grade.

As I work through AoPS Prealgebra myself, I'm struck with how similar the presentation and focus on understanding of the mathematical laws in this program is to the Miquon Lab Annotations. While the AoPS book is apropriately graded up interns of difficulty, the foundation laid in Miquon gives one a strong foundation to build upon.

Bill

Spy Car,

I have you to thank for getting me excited about Miquon. My two girls and I are loving it here!

Thank you for letting me know. I know the approach is not for everyone, but when it "clicks" it is really something special. Enjoy!

Bill