Menu

Is there a good world history OUTLINE I can use?

I plan to put together our own world history, since I've got an ADD VSL who will work better with biographies and documentaries and activities than SOTW and similar options. I just want to make sure I don't miss things. So is there a good source for an outline/overview of world history I can use as I put together my ideas? (Or has someone already done this, wink wink? :tongue_smilie:) Would using just the Activity Book and picking some of the supplemental reading/my own books on the same topics work, do you think? I don't have the activity book myself to look at, just SOTW 1. (Which bombed. Twice. Sigh.)

Edited by LittleIzumi

Could you just use the Kingfisher or Usborne encyclopedia?

:iagree: SOTW somewhat followed that same timeline, and it has loads of pictures! (Usborne - I don't have Kingfisher yet).

I also think All Through the Ages could be useful to you once you get past the very early civilization stuff, like the first 30 pages or so. Actually, the VERY first section would be useful to you. Then it gets into a section on creation and such, but once you get to Ancient Egypt, it's a lot of secular books, so you should be fine. It's not like you are reading any of it to your kids. It's a giant book list, that's all. I saw several books mentioned where it "warned" about evolution, so it still lists such books. ;) You'll just need your own resources if you want prehistory. The Usborne encyclopedia has a good 100 pages of prehistory that you could use.

:iagree: SOTW somewhat followed that same timeline, and it has loads of pictures! (Usborne - I don't have Kingfisher yet).

I also think All Through the Ages could be useful to you once you get past the very early civilization stuff, like the first 30 pages or so. Actually, the VERY first section would be useful to you. Then it gets into a section on creation and such, but once you get to Ancient Egypt, it's a lot of secular books, so you should be fine. It's not like you are reading any of it to your kids. It's a giant book list, that's all. I saw several books mentioned where it "warned" about evolution, so it still lists such books. ;) You'll just need your own resources if you want prehistory. The Usborne encyclopedia has a good 100 pages of prehistory that you could use.

Good point! Using the Usborne for the entire thing would give me a migraine--way too much visual/structural clutter. But for prehistory (ooh, plus I have some prehistory resources waiting on my computer), and then jumping into All Through the Ages... I like that. :D