Menu

Apologia Science Schedules

To give you another option to chew over... we've always used the schedules from Schola Press and been pleased with them. The price is reasonable...

http://www.scholapress.com/10.php

I believe the Scholapress ones are the same ones that Rainbow Resource offers. We have used these and found them helpful.

We have also used Sonlight's. Sonlight schedules the book out for 36 weeks. Scholapress' are for 32 weeks. I prefer Scholapress for that reason, but of course, it would be a matter of personal preference.

We didn't use their schedules. We just broke the modules into two week segments. My son knows he needs to have read the book, done labs and write-up and be ready to test by Friday of the second week. He does better with self scheduling(with some time parameters)

since we tend to do "block" scheduling in the afternoons. Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays we did history for two hours; Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturday mornings we did science for two hours. I usually scheduled the labs and tests for Saturdays; it was so much easier for my oldest dd that way.

So, I just sat down with the book and made up my own schedule, usually approximately once a month. I would break the chapter into approximately three major sections to read, and they would read one section and do the On Your Own questions on Tuesday, and then repeat the same on Thursday and Saturday, plus a lab on Saturdays. Then, the next week I'd have my oldest (this was for Chemistry) do the review questions and half of the practice problems (Tues.), the second half of the practice problems and the extra practice problems (Thurs.), and then the test on Saturday. Chemistry was difficult for her, but I was very proud of her when she finished---I think she ended up with an A- or a B+, and had to work very hard for that grade.

Donna Young's lab reports and supplements were very helpful for all of our years with Apologia.

HTH!

Have you used any of the prepared schedules for Apologia, from Sonlight or Rainbow? Have they been worth the cost or would it be better to do our own thing?

Thank you,

Cindy

Oh, I'll just throw another option out there for ya.

I have schedules for Apologia Science on my blog (free). I can't compare them to Sonlight or the one Rainbow offers, as I've seen neither.

I got the idea from Donna Young (ages ago). There was something about her schedule that made them unworkable for me, but I can't recall what. I do know that she's revamped them since the originals, but haven't checked them out.

Anyhoo, mine are in MS Word format, so you can change them to suit your family.

We've not reached high school science yet, but for Jr. High we're using the free schedules from Donna Young's website. Briefly looking at a friend's schedule from Sonlight, the only difference I really noticed was that one spent an extra week covering the first module for general science.

Christine,

Thank you for sharing your schedules. I tried to open the Physical Science file and it says it is damaged somehow. Someone else had mentioned your schedules, too, so I had tried yesterday with the same results.

Thank you,

Cindy

Cindy,

Have you had any problems with any of the other schedules? (if you tried any of them)

It opens fine for me, but I don't know if it's because it's already on my computer. . .

Anyhoo, just got your email. . .trying to email you back but my server just went down. (just so you know to expect something. . .sometime. . .hopefully today)

If anyone else went to check them out and had problems please let me know. That's truly frustrating!